Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (
-   -   gear ratio? (

KicknJeep 05-24-2008 06:53 PM

gear ratio?
WTF? when I turn the tire one full revolution my DS only makes one and three quarter turns. for 3.73 it should be at least 3 and a quarter (which is what mopar says came in it). The reason I want to find out is in the next week or so I am going to buy a 8.8 for the swap and want to find one with matching gears and I have a friend who has same setup as mine and has far less take off and feels more sluggish. The other reason I need to know is that there is orange gasket sealant on both diff covers and I do not believe factory diffs has this. So any other words of wisdom as to check the gear ratio?

parrot head 05-24-2008 09:09 PM

you have to spin both tires at the same time in the same direction.

KicknJeep 05-25-2008 02:22 PM

PH your the man turned both tires and whatta ya know 3 and 3/4 turns so3.73 it is. Just wanted to say thanks :wavey:

parrot head 05-25-2008 03:52 PM

Happy to help. Just something I learned a long time ago, I was trying to figure out what gears I had in a Mustang, and had the same WTF moment. A wiser older mechanic gave me the heads up:p