Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   TeraFlex 2" Lift Kit with shocks. Do i need a T-case lowering kit?? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/teraflex-2-lift-kit-with-shocks-do-i-need-a-t-case-lowering-kit-187844.html)

biggyb23 09-18-2012 05:19 PM

TeraFlex 2" Lift Kit with shocks. Do i need a T-case lowering kit??

I know this has probably been talked or asked over 100 times before and im sorry. But, I plan on buying the TeraFlex 2" Suspension Lift Kit With Shocks TF-1241200 . I notice the kit does not come with a T-Case lowering kit. sooo

1.Does anyone have this kit and or did you have to install a T-case lowering kit?
2. Can i install any "brand name" of a T-case lowering kit? Example, could I install the Transfer Case Lowering Kit Height 2"- 2.5" Skyjacker SJ-TCL101 with the Teraflex lift kit?

Thanks

the_great_white 09-18-2012 05:24 PM

i wouldn't worry about a TC drop with a 2"....JMO

biggyb23 09-18-2012 06:25 PM

Thanks, Im looking for any opinion and or help. I want to get it done / get it done right. I dont want to kind out im going to need a TC drop and wait for it to come in the mail when its my DD/weekend warrior and ive installed the lift.

IslandTJ 09-18-2012 06:29 PM

In the rare case that you do get slight vibes (although I doubt it but I got vibes with my 2" lift), just drop your transfer case by a washer until the vibes are gone. I believe it took 3-4 washers to rid my vibes. I was able to remove the washers later when I installed my motor mount lift.

umake 09-19-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggyb23 (Post 2805781)
Thanks, Im looking for any opinion and or help. I want to get it done / get it done right. I dont want to kind out im going to need a TC drop and wait for it to come in the mail when its my DD/weekend warrior and ive installed the lift.

I got vibes with my 2" OME Lift. Took a quick trip to Ace Hardware and about 20mins to fix.

6 - 1/2" x 2" Stainless Steel Bolts $2.50(ea)
42 - 1/2" Washers .27(ea)

Total cost = $28

Took 6 washers per bolt to get rid of the vibes I had, plus one per bolt between the bolt head and skid plate.

biggyb23 09-19-2012 01:40 PM

Thanks for all the help. Im def going to go with the washer idea if i get vibes after I put this lift kit on.

fourty4magjr 09-19-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggyb23 (Post 2809030)
Thanks for all the help. Im def going to go with the washer idea if i get vibes after I put this lift kit on.

You most likly will not have any Vibration to worry about with a 2 inch lift.

Rolf 09-19-2012 01:57 PM

They all differ but it does seem that the automatics, especially the 42rle is more prone to vibration after a small lift. I have a 2" lift with 1" MML and still get vibes. I will be installing a UCF LoPro mount next before finally doing a SYE.

Jerry Bransford 09-19-2012 03:33 PM

As mentioned above, you may or may not have vibes with a 2" suspension lift with a TJ. My first lift was 2" and it did develop some very minor vibes which was cured by placing 5/8" worth of washers stacked over each of the the six t-case skidplate mounting bolts and positioned between the skidplate and frame. In other words, there's no need to buy an expensive t-case lowering kit. You may need longer t-case bolts in which case make sure they are hardened like the factory installed. If yours is an older TJ, it uses SAE hardware so Grade 5 bolts are appropriate (1" longer than what is there now). If it is newer the bolts are metric so the hardness needs to be 8.8 which is roughly equivilent to SAE Grade 5.

biggyb23 09-19-2012 09:43 PM

Perfect. Yeah its a 2000 Manual Jeep wrangler so maybe just maybe ill be the luck one when it comes to vibrations haha.