Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Teraflex Hinged Tire Carrier Install (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/teraflex-hinged-tire-carrier-install-188500.html)

Vin 09-21-2012 03:51 PM

Teraflex Hinged Tire Carrier Install

OK, so I got tired of having to open the tire carrier before I opened the door, and I thought the whole set up looked pertty clean, so I order/received a Teraflex Hinged Tire Carrier.

Pros:The set up is pretty stout. I think the hinge not connected to the door could support the weight of my wheel/tire combo.

Once again I can open the rear gate with one hand. The Mopar Carrier kinda sagged so I needed to lift it up in order to open it. Also the bumper, on occasion, would hit the bottom of the door.

Cons: The bumper no longer worked. Without the weight of the tire/tire carrier, the bumper would not allow the door to open, so off it came.

The Teraflex CB Antenna mount, curiously enough does not work with this set up. I went back to the first mount I had that came with a package deal from Quadratec.

I'm not too keen on the third brake light set up. It has two mounting rods that go through the two unused lugnut holes. It requires 2 nuts to be removed from the rear of the tire. They should have come up with some sort of tooless removal system so I don't have to worry about having a wrench/socket in the event I do have to change a flat.

Here's my old set up:

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...52019317_n.jpg

OE hinges removed:

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...56252111_n.jpg

Now, notice the fact that they painted the Jeep when it was assembled, so the back of the hinges and the sections of the tailgate under the door are unpainted. It was starting to rust up a bit, so I applied 3 coats of Permetex Rust inhibitor before I installed the hinges. If you plan on keeping your rig for a while, you may want to do the same.

Hinge section installed:

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...24093370_n.jpg

This is one beefy hinge. I think it would have no problem holding the weight of my tire/wheel combo by itself.

Main body of the Tereflex Tire Carrier:

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...39342203_n.jpg

This part is steel, the hinge part is Aluminum.

The Adjustable tire carrier section:

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...11982424_n.jpg

The holes corrispond to the size tire you plan on installing. The top being 37s, the 35s, then 33s, then stock. Even though I am running a small 35 I have it set 37s (A guy can dream you know).

The finished product:

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...61790721_n.jpg

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the set up. I ordered a set of Rugged Ridge Rear Bumper Pods. Hopefully they show up by next weekend so I can finish this up.

kbwwolf 09-21-2012 04:13 PM

Great info. :thumb:

Especially the part about the bare metal under the hinges. Who'd a thunk it? If mine's that way (and I see no reason why it wouldn't be), I'll hit it w/some rust proofing.

My kit's been sitting in my garage since I got the tire mount part in August. Gotta get off my aspen and install that puppy...

'Preciate the write-up.

Vin 09-21-2012 07:46 PM

I also forgot to mention, I regained 1/2 an inch of lift in the rear by losing all that heavy metal. :)

Vin 09-21-2012 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbwwolf (Post 2816505)
Great info. :thumb:

Especially the part about the bare metal under the hinges. Who'd a thunk it? If mine's that way (and I see no reason why it wouldn't be), I'll hit it w/some rust proofing.

My kit's been sitting in my garage since I got the tire mount part in August. Gotta get off my aspen and install that puppy...

'Preciate the write-up.

Don't forget the regular door hinges. I'm gonna guess he same with the hood hinges.

SilverSport 09-21-2012 08:04 PM

PFS! :wavey:

Question. If you remove the bolts for the door and hood hinges and the paint chips off the bolts do the heads rust?

chris.george 09-21-2012 08:09 PM

Nice! Quiet?

Vin 09-21-2012 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSport (Post 2817134)
PFS! :wavey:

Question. If you remove the bolts for the door and hood hinges and the paint chips off the bolts do the heads rust?

I bought my half doors after the fact, so they came unassembled. I had them painted with the hinges separate, then assembled them. For the bolts, I just used touch up paint. No issues. With these bolts, the paint seems to be intact.

Vin 09-21-2012 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris.george (Post 2817146)
Nice! Quiet?

Yes, it's very solid.

JKatfish 09-22-2012 08:58 AM

At first, I thot the TF was too pricey and not a good idea, but now, I'm really impressed with how well they work, tho maybe still pricey. Post pics with the RR Pods too. That should be a really weight effective set up for the rear....Great work!!! May copy you, since I plan on going to 33's only.

Vin 09-22-2012 09:43 AM

If you are only going with 33s, then you an still use the stock carier with the hinges and save some weight/money. The TF Carrier steel and just as if not heavier than the Hinge section.

As far as price, I figured the RR swingaway carrier is somewhere around 400-500, and eventually it will rattle like my Mopar. The TF is 700, but more convient. I think the AEV one is also in the $700 ballpark, so as far as tire carriers, it's pricey, but not over the top.

ryanJKunlimited2012 09-22-2012 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vin (Post 2817089)
Don't forget the regular door hinges. I'm gonna guess he same with the hood hinges.

I can confirm it is true for the hood hinges

Qtec has small rattle cans of touch up and bottles with brushes. Good to have in the garage.

93TilInfinity 09-22-2012 11:31 AM

Looks great! Question - did the TF piece that actually holds the tire bring it closer to the tailgate that the stock one would?

Vin 09-22-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 93TilInfinity (Post 2818497)
Looks great! Question - did the TF piece that actually holds the tire bring it closer to the tailgate that the stock one would?

The center section that is pictured in the 5th pic slides in and out. Currently I have it very tight to the back of my rig. It's definitely tighter than the OE carrier. I had to re adjust it so it wouldn't bend the CB antenna into the rig.

Here are some photos I took after I made my adjustments this morning.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...88160550_n.jpg

I can probably slide a piece of looseleaf paper between the tire and the side of the carrier.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...82583277_n.jpg

Here's a further away view.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...50998152_n.jpg

smaxberry 09-22-2012 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vin
If you are only going with 33s, then you an still use the stock carier with the hinges and save some weight/money. The TF Carrier steel and just as if not heavier than the Hinge section.

As far as price, I figured the RR swingaway carrier is somewhere around 400-500, and eventually it will rattle like my Mopar. The TF is 700, but more convient. I think the AEV one is also in the $700 ballpark, so as far as tire carriers, it's pricey, but not over the top.

Thanks for the write up and pics. This just got promoted to my 'need' list.

NFRs2000NYC 09-22-2012 02:56 PM

Can you mount the tire as low as OEM or lower? Would be great if I could drop the tire down a bit more more rear visibility and added parking protection. I have a 33" btw.

Vin 09-22-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC (Post 2818911)
Can you mount the tire as low as OEM or lower? Would be great if I could drop the tire down a bit more more rear visibility and added parking protection. I have a 33" btw.

Yes, if you look at this picture you will see two rows of holes. The top set have the lugs in place and corespond to a 37 inch tire. The next set down is for 35s. The next set is 33s, and finally the bottom is for the OEM setting.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...11982424_n.jpg

The holes on the outer edges are for the third brake light mount.

chris.george 09-23-2012 03:12 PM

Papa Smurf has been running this with 37" tires I believe.

NFRs2000NYC 09-23-2012 04:33 PM

I would buy this thing in a heartbeat over the LOD bumper if they had accessory attachments like jerry can holders, top cargo rack, etc. I emailed teraflex to see if something like this would work and got no response. :(

HighRock 4x4™ Tailgate Rack Bracket with Universal Rack Tray for 07-13 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

Rooster454 09-23-2012 05:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC (Post 2821775)
I would buy this thing in a heartbeat over the LOD bumper if they had accessory attachments like jerry can holders, top cargo rack, etc. I emailed teraflex to see if something like this would work and got no response. :(

HighRock 4x4™ Tailgate Rack Bracket with Universal Rack Tray for 07-13 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

I know those are in the works right now. I ordered my TF carrier back in may and they told me then "by the end of the summer". So they may be out now. I haven't kept up with it, but you should call and ask, they're very helpful.

Attachment 162940
If you look closely you can see the extra holes on the exterior of the frame. They're all threaded and that's where you can mount, hi-lift, gerry cans, etc with their new brackets

I can also attest to how awesome it is and I'm running it with the stock carrier, not the TF adjustable one, and 315/75/16 Duratracs. I'll get the TF carrier when my stock one looks to be about ready to go. I didn't have a single problem installing it and it is super strong and not one rattle

Also, my hinges were bare metal underneath too. So they must definitely paint it assembled

NFRs2000NYC 09-23-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooster454 (Post 2821873)
I know those are in the works right now. I ordered my TF carrier back in may and they told me then "by the end of the summer". So they may be out now. I haven't kept up with it, but you should call and ask, they're very helpful.

Attachment 162940
If you look closely you can see the extra holes on the exterior of the frame. They're all threaded and that's where you can mount, hi-lift, gerry cans, etc with their new brackets

I can also attest to how awesome it is and I'm running it with the stock carrier, not the TF adjustable one, and 315/75/16 Duratracs. I'll get the TF carrier when my stock one looks to be about ready to go. I didn't have a single problem installing it and it is super strong and not one rattle

Also, my hinges were bare metal underneath too. So they must definitely paint it assembled

I also asked them about the carrier vs OEM and got no response. Do I need a carrier for a 33" duratrac on a 15" wheel? what benefit is there to running their carrier? Also, where is the weight now going instead of the tailgate? In order for me to truly replace a rear bumper with this thing, I'd like to be able to carry stuff on it like you could on an LOD bumper for instance. However, can this thing hold a tire, 2 5 gallon jerry cans, and that basket thing full of cargo without damaging the tailgate? The weight has to go somewhere....

93TilInfinity 09-23-2012 05:55 PM

Best thing about their carrier vs own is you can snug it completely up with the tailgate instead of having a bigger than stock gap

LeftCoastNerd 09-23-2012 09:00 PM

is the adjustable spare tire mount ($199) only needed to run tires bigger than 35" on that hinge? I ask because I love the mount but do not want to spend the extra $199 if there is no need to. I will have a 35x1250x17 tire on the back.

Vin 09-24-2012 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftCoastNerd (Post 2822648)
is the adjustable spare tire mount ($199) only needed to run tires bigger than 35" on that hinge? I ask because I love the mount but do not want to spend the extra $199 if there is no need to. I will have a 35x1250x17 tire on the back.

It depends on the weight of your wheel/tire and how much it get's banged around. I don't think I would had a problem with my Duratrac/Mickey Thompson combo because it is only 60 pounds. If you are running a 125 pond combo, you may want to plan on getting the tire carrier down the line.

Vin 09-24-2012 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC (Post 2821906)
I also asked them about the carrier vs OEM and got no response. Do I need a carrier for a 33" duratrac on a 15" wheel? what benefit is there to running their carrier? Also, where is the weight now going instead of the tailgate? In order for me to truly replace a rear bumper with this thing, I'd like to be able to carry stuff on it like you could on an LOD bumper for instance. However, can this thing hold a tire, 2 5 gallon jerry cans, and that basket thing full of cargo without damaging the tailgate? The weight has to go somewhere....

The weight is on the hinge. If I were to unbolt the tailgate and throw 4 nuts to hold the carrier to the hinge, the carrier/hinge would still support the weight of the wheel. The tailgate gives it a little extra support and allows the whole thing to stay closed.

LeftCoastNerd 09-25-2012 12:11 AM

Thanks for the input VIN! The carrier looks great!!!

TCJK11 09-25-2012 09:25 AM

Vin, Thanks for all of the pics! I've been trying to see what this thing actually looks like when you step back a little and this is the only thread I've seen that actually gives some perspective. This is definitely the way I plan on going!

Vin 09-25-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCJK11
Vin, Thanks for all of the pics! I've been trying to see what this thing actually looks like when you step back a little and this is the only thread I've seen that actually gives some perspective. This is definitely the way I plan on going!

I know, right? It seems like every thread was either right up on the hinge or with the tire already installed. I felt like I was rolling the dice, but I've had good luck with Teraflex's other products, so I gave them the benefit of the doubt. if you need any other shots, let me know.

TeraFlex 09-25-2012 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris.george (Post 2821560)
Papa Smurf has been running this with 37" tires I believe.

38" actually.

chris.george 09-27-2012 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeraFlex (Post 2828706)
38" actually.

Need to make sure you guys are paying attention on here ;)

Lowerumble 09-27-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeraFlex (Post 2828706)
38" actually.

Any info on the accessory mounting?