Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Builders Corner (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/)
-   -   Project: Shake n' Bake: A Cummins CJ (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/project-shake-n-bake-a-cummins-cj-188515.html)

IndyJeepMan 09-21-2012 05:19 PM

Project: Shake n' Bake: A Cummins CJ
 
So, if you haven't heard I sold my old TJ. Man i miss it, and it was a fun rig while i owned it!

But with plans for my rig costing a ton, i decided to find something a little closer to completion to work on..

So I found a new to me 1980 CJ7 complete with a Cummins 4BTA and 1 ton axles..

and then it begins....



Plans are to link/coil the suspension and rid myself of the leafs.
Put a full tub on the frame, a full cage, a new dash and full restore and rewire of the cab and engine.

Follow, there will be plenty to come :punk:

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/...ps99a3e975.jpg

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3b98d365.jpg

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8c328a6e.jpg

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/...psc36d76d1.jpg

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1aad8e60.jpg

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/...ps74df9006.jpg

nick50471 09-21-2012 11:21 PM

:rofl: I fail to see how this rig will cost you less but will enjoy watching you work on it.:thumb:


Subscribed.

IndyJeepMan 09-21-2012 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick50471
:rofl: I fail to see how this rig will cost you less but will enjoy watching you work on it.:thumb:

Subscribed.

It may just be a thought ive pushed myself into believing :thumb:

Oh well, itll be fun right?

nick50471 09-21-2012 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyJeepMan (Post 2817731)
Oh well, itll be fun right?

Yes Sir. That is why we do it.

DeepSouthJeeper 09-22-2012 01:26 AM

What do you mean a full tub on the frame? Sorry, new guy.

IndyJeepMan 09-22-2012 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepSouthJeeper
What do you mean a full tub on the frame? Sorry, new guy.

Getting rid of the flatbed thats on the back

I forgot to add that picture!

IndyJeepMan 10-04-2012 05:25 PM

Update, did some cleaning some planning and a little cutting the past two days.

Figured out some wiring, and cleaned the air filter and turbo housing. But the pictures I have are from the front of the Jeep, bye bye are the monkey bars from the front.

DeepSouthJeeper 10-04-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyJeepMan

Getting rid of the flatbed thats on the back

I forgot to add that picture!

Flatbed? That's different. Any pictures?

IndyJeepMan 10-04-2012 09:47 PM

Pictures of the little progress and the flatbed and overall truck.


Going on vacation to NM for a week, if you're in Albuquerque i may run into you lol.

I cut off the front stinger deal on the front, so glad its gone :thumb:

Measured the wheelbase: 110"
Measured WMS (roughly) : 66"-69"
Height at the low belly: 19"
Height at tub: 30"

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/...0-04180200.jpg

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/...0-04180211.jpg

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/...0-04180222.jpg

Got my RuffStuff disc brake brackets for the Dana 70, along with the 77 K20 front calipers and rotors. Should be a slick setup over the dually drums!

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/...0-01151606.jpg


Heres the flatbed, the overall Jeep in the rough form and a short clip.

God that thing is hideous!
http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/...ps15d50edf.jpg

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/...ps48562e53.jpg

The clip of a walk-around and start up of the might 3.9L 4BT :thumb:

Just click on the image.
http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/...6-19-17-12.jpg

I've since fixed the doors so that they latch (they are just to keep the elements out, going with a half door)

and a little gun fun from the past weekend. Sorry for the quality, photobucket scales stuff down...

i'm on the right using my 9mm AR, next to me is a buddy of mine using a FN PS90.
http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/...7-11-01-20.jpg

kfdjason7620 10-04-2012 09:53 PM

Nice!

YJ_JEEP 10-05-2012 08:15 AM

I know this most likely isnt a Daily Driver but what kind a fuel mileage does it get. A 4 cyl. Cummins in my YJ as a Daily Driver is on my wish list.

IndyJeepMan 10-05-2012 06:28 PM

Haven't gotten a full calculation on the MPG's but i'd guess between 22-30.

I'll be reposting once I get a good calculation with a new fuel guage.

GoldenSahara00 10-10-2012 06:21 PM

You sold TJ? :(

Cj looks sick. I like the truck thing, but not in the fashion this one is done in.

IndyJeepMan 10-10-2012 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00
You sold TJ? :(

Cj looks sick. I like the truck thing, but not in the fashion this one is done in.

Trust me, neither do I. Thats why I'm picking up a full YJ tub this week. Keeping the CJ grill though :thumb:

BTW, tires are for sale. PM if interested.

DeepSouthJeeper 10-10-2012 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyJeepMan

Trust me, neither do I. Thats why I'm picking up a full YJ tub this week. Keeping the CJ grill though :thumb:

BTW, tires are for sale. PM if interested.

I didn't think a YJ tub would bolt to a CJ frame? Or will it?

sledn8r 10-10-2012 09:12 PM

anything will work with the correct mods. LOL.Where there is a will, theres a way.

IndyJeepMan 10-10-2012 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepSouthJeeper

I didn't think a YJ tub would bolt to a CJ frame? Or will it?

It needs some easy fabrication but it works great as a substitute for a CJ tub which are hard to find in decent condition. Nothing some metal fab cant handle :thumb:

Its not too tough at all. Just some body mount tweaking and some drilling on the firewall for my application and all is well.

97wrangler-242 10-10-2012 10:54 PM

Sad to see the tj and stinger go but this this is sweet :)

DeepSouthJeeper 10-10-2012 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyJeepMan

It needs some easy fabrication but it works great as a substitute for a CJ tub which are hard to find in decent condition. Nothing some metal fab cant handle :thumb:

Its not too tough at all. Just some body mount tweaking and some drilling on the firewall for my application and all is well.

How do you plan to make the CJ grill work? I don't think they line up right (of course, I could be wrong about that also).

GoldenSahara00 10-10-2012 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyJeepMan

Trust me, neither do I. Thats why I'm picking up a full YJ tub this week. Keeping the CJ grill though :thumb:

BTW, tires are for sale. PM if interested.

If you were local I'd ask about the tires. That should be sweet, tub should be pretty cheap too. Good decision.

InvertChaos 10-10-2012 11:57 PM

That thing is sweet!

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepSouthJeeper

How do you plan to make the CJ grill work? I don't think they line up right (of course, I could be wrong about that also).

Its a fairly easy mod for YJ peeps to so I've heard.

IndyJeepMan 10-11-2012 07:45 AM

My whole front clip is coming off the current CJ tub, and can transfer no problems to the firewall of a YJ.

IndyJeepMan 10-11-2012 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00

If you were local I'd ask about the tires. That should be sweet, tub should be pretty cheap too. Good decision.

I can ship ;)

Also, even though its a YJ tub, id never put those square eyes on my rig :P :rofl:

yellowsnow 10-11-2012 01:41 PM

Hey, this is a pretty interesting thread! I actually like the truck bed but agree the design/quality leave something to be desired.

At least you can recoup some expenses by selling the cab and top to somebody.

IndyJeepMan 10-11-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowsnow
Hey, this is a pretty interesting thread! I actually like the truck bed but agree the design/quality leave something to be desired.

At least you can recoup some expenses by selling the cab and top to somebody.

thats what im hoping. Plus, im a fan of a full body Jeep, especially a classic CJ since they are harder and harder to find. Itll end up being some form of comp cut though.

Ibuildembig 10-11-2012 04:27 PM

Glad you found a tub!

IndyJeepMan 10-11-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibuildembig
Glad you found a tub!

It needs work, but hey what YJ/CJ body doesnt lol.

Cons_Table 10-11-2012 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyJeepMan (Post 2881366)
It needs work, but hey what YJ/CJ body doesnt lol.

Ibuildembig's golden eagle CJ/YJ body doesnt need any work ;)

Ibuildembig 10-11-2012 04:45 PM

^^^but I cheated and used a rust free cash for clunkers tub

I have owned a fair share of rusty TJ's too....none of them are above it lol

IndyJeepMan 10-11-2012 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cons_Table

Ibuildembig's golden eagle CJ/YJ body doesnt need any work ;)

Dont go there Geoff! Most YJ/CJ bodies :thumb:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:55 AM.