Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/)
-   -   Almost stalls (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/almost-stalls-18878.html)

pete218 05-29-2008 04:03 PM

Almost stalls

Hey all, my 08 2 door wrangler is only 4 months old and until 2 weeks ago has been tip top.. But recently after i start it or even stop at a light, the idle goes down and it almost stalls out.. And sometimes when stopped the engine will just run rough and shake the whole truck. Anyone have any idea what this could be.

Lollipop 05-29-2008 04:11 PM

This exact same thing happens to my 2005 Wrangler X. I got it in May 06 and it had 8,500 miles on it. It now has 13,000. It does not do this often just ever now and then I will stop at a light and the engine will idle down and I think it is going to shut off. I tend to give it some gas just in fear of that. I took it in for service (still under warranty at the time) they told me they replaced the idle control module (??) However, it is still doing this!! :banghead: Not under warranty now! Any help or suggestions on this matter for me would also be appreciated.

Hilldweller 05-30-2008 08:19 AM

Run a bottle of Techron or Seafoam?
Check and see if the O2 sensor wire has rattled or pulled off (or any of the sensors).

Lollipop,
May I have 20 minutes alone with your avatar please....?

Lollipop 05-30-2008 08:34 AM

Why sure Hilldweller....do you want me to wait in the hall or can I stay and watch!:pop:

And, thanks for the info. :)

Hilldweller 05-30-2008 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lollipop (Post 233414)
Why sure Hilldweller....do you want me to wait in the hall or can I stay and watch!

You can stay --- but no cameras... :eek:

Dare2BSquare 05-30-2008 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete218 (Post 233211)
Hey all, my 08 2 door wrangler is only 4 months old and until 2 weeks ago has been tip top.. But recently after i start it or even stop at a light, the idle goes down and it almost stalls out.. And sometimes when stopped the engine will just run rough and shake the whole truck. Anyone have any idea what this could be.

I would think this is your dealership's problem. That's why you have a warranty. Take it to them and let them figure it out.

Lollipop 05-30-2008 04:22 PM

See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Speak No Evil

pete218 05-30-2008 04:27 PM

I agree, i am bringing it in first thing on tuesday. I have only had it for about 4 months and have no complaints, this has been the only issue.

Moon Pie 06-05-2008 09:14 AM

Ironically I read this thread at work yesterday and on my way home today my 08 did this sh*t while I was sitting at a light. Awesome... Did anyone get an answer from their stealership?? I just don't want to go in without a clue.

Thanks!!

Hilldweller 06-05-2008 11:07 AM

It takes a good tech to really figure out why it's doing it; there are too many possible reasons.
The engines these days are set to run very lean (read: hot) to save gas; that usually means they they're very dependant on sensors to tell them how much 02 they're getting, temperatures, etc.
Earlier Chrysler engines (also Toyota, Audi, and a few others) were prone to excessive sludge formation that would foul the 02 sensors and clog oil gallies; this would lead to very costly repairs. That's the main reason that Jeep says to change the oil at 6K intervals when most of the rest of the planet can go to 15K these days (mandated by the EU).
So you have to look at all the easy stuff first and trouble-shoot from there. Make sure that there are no vacuum leaks, the fuel purge canister isn't damaged/clogged, no danling wires off sensors, clean & unrestricted air filter, etc. You'd be surprised how quick a mouse can build a nest and have babies in your air filter or how tasty a squirrel thinks your plug wires might be...

But if you're under warranty, check the obvious stuff and then make it the dealer's problem.

skeejunkee 06-05-2008 12:28 PM

Is the engine hot or cold when this happens?

Hilldweller 06-05-2008 01:50 PM

I'm guessing hot.

Gary1129 06-06-2008 07:22 PM

This exact problem hasnt been a concern to date however we have had a batch of bad Camshaft Position Sensors that prompted a bulletin about hard start and MIL illumination......this could also cause a rough Idle and stalling however you should have a Check engine light as well......Most any tech should be able to figure out you concern IF they can duplicate the problem which is always what makes intermitants so tough to diag

As to the TJ with a stall out problem.....Check you vacuum lines the ones located on the drivers side by the front of the hood ALWAYS age very quickly and cause exactly the problem you state....its literally the first place we look for a rough Idle stall concern on 6 cylinder TJs......Chrysler vacuum lines SUCKASSS......be thankful you dont have a Liberty:D

good luck guys wish ya lived near me

Lollipop 06-07-2008 05:42 AM

That is the problem I was having with my TJ ...the technician could never seem to duplicate the problem when he had it. Will defintely check the vacuum lines thou. Thanks!