Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Jeep JK Hybrid Stubby Bumper w/Integrated Fog Light Mounts (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/jeep-jk-hybrid-stubby-bumper-w-integrated-fog-light-mounts-189199.html)

ESP 09-25-2012 07:51 AM

Jeep JK Hybrid Stubby Bumper w/Integrated Fog Light Mounts
 
Does anyone have this bumper? I have heard that one or both of the stock fog lights need to be lengthened to install correctly.

Rough Country Hybrid Stubby $229 + D-rings and mount $89.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y26...601/photo3.jpg

kjeeper10 09-25-2012 08:01 AM

Ooh that's sweet

Creepin__Jeeper 09-25-2012 08:04 AM

I like this bumper, I read a post on "the other forum" and the guy actually painted the center on the bumper silver to make it look like a Sahara bumper. From what I remember reading he was very happy with it. I think with the lights its just a minor wiring extension that needs to be made, this extension can probably be found online somewhere and it something easily corrected

I would consider getting this bumper because it allows the fogs to be used and actually moves them further apart to the ends, just seems better, also the price and appearance is nice...

Ill see if I can find the thread that I read and post a link.

ESP 09-25-2012 08:09 AM

I don't know how hard it would be to lengthen the lights if necessary. I may have to call them to see if this is true. I read on "another" forum that it was needed. I dunno.

Creepin__Jeeper 09-25-2012 08:19 AM

http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7dfa19a0.jpg

Thats what the other guy did to his RC bumper. It also shows what it looks like with factory flares. Which actually looks really nice.

Here is the link to his thread, maybe it tells about the wiring mod or something not sure. But here ya go have fun reading his write-up

Cottonfire's RC Stubby Hybrid-Sahara Build

Vin 09-25-2012 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESP (Post 2827316)
I don't know how hard it would be to lengthen the lights if necessary. I may have to call them to see if this is true. I read on "another" forum that it was needed. I dunno.

You have to lengthen the wires for the fog lamps with the Mopar bumper as well. They give you 2 sections of wire. You just splice them in.

ESP 09-25-2012 09:15 AM

How hard is it to do the light extension? I have zero electrical experience. Any write ups?

kvarcs 09-25-2012 09:29 AM

Also read on RC Website that you have to purchase the Brake Pump Relocation Bracket for the 2012 models.

ESP 09-25-2012 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kvarcs (Post 2827529)
Also read on RC Website that you have to purchase the Brake Pump Relocation Bracket for the 2012 models.

Thanks, read that but it doesn't apply to me.

MTH 09-25-2012 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESP (Post 2827471)
How hard is it to do the light extension? I have zero electrical experience. Any write ups?

If it really is just a splice, it's not hard. You just need the same gauge wire and some waterproof splicer connectors (something like these) to put on either end of the splice. You're just patching in a piece of wire to act as an extension. Should all be stuff you can easily find at the Home Depot.

ESP 09-25-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 2827548)
If it really is just a splice, it's not hard. You just need the same gauge wire and some waterproof splicer connectors (something like these) to put on either end of the splice. You're just patching in a piece of wire to act as an extension. Should all be stuff you can easily find at the Home Depot.

So your saying you'll help? :D

MTH 09-25-2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESP (Post 2827728)
So your saying you'll help? :D

Desire and willingness to help is never my problem--time is. We've got to account for the four toddlers we've got between both of us whenever it's jeepin' time, and that's no small feat. But if we can carve out the time, of course. :thumb:

Rooster76 09-25-2012 01:29 PM

It's a good looking bumper
 
MANUFACTURE BUMPER LINK->Jeep JK Hybrid Stubby Bumper
Video before fogs added to end caps
Rough Country's Hybrid Stubby Bumper for Jeep JK Wrangler - YouTube

I like this bumper. I wonder if it is beefy enough at 3/16" for using as a hi-lift jack point? That's one thing I would want to make sure before buying it.

SPLICING THE WIRE
I'm by no means an expert on the subject. I did some research before extending the power wire on my CB, to the battery. I think your best bet would be to get solderless connectors that clamp on both ends and heat shrink tubing. You would want to take the wire they give you to the hardware store to get the right gauge solderless connector. The heat shrink will make it totally waterproof. You just use a lighter for about 2 seconds to get it to shrink wrap itself.
http://img.directindustry.com/images...31-2475455.jpg

A better connection would be made with a soldering iron, but that would be probably pretty damb hard if the wires are short.

I have heard not to use the wire connector type below. They are made for home use. With vibration they will come undone.
http://www.electric-china.net/images...connectors.jpg

mallaki 09-25-2012 01:45 PM

Nice bumper. Where is it manufactured???

ESP 09-25-2012 02:56 PM

Thanks for the pictures on splicing. I don't know where the bumper is made just that it's by Rough Country and is at a good price. It has the look I want with or without a winch, offers a seating for the factory fog lights and comes as a true stubby with little weight.

I'd like to keep the factory fog lights but honestly its not a deal breaker for me to not have them. The other one they offer which doesn't have the holes for the lights is only $189 vs $229. Hmmm....

kbwwolf 09-25-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESP (Post 2828455)
Thanks for the pictures on splicing. I don't know where the bumper is made just that it's by Rough Country and is at a good price. It has the look I want with or without a winch, offers a seating for the factory fog lights and comes as a true stubby with little weight.

I'd like to keep the factory fog lights but honestly its not a deal breaker for me to not have them. The other one they offer which doesn't have the holes for the lights is only $189 vs $229. Hmmm....

Good lookin bumper, IMO. And definitely (notice I didn't say defiantly...pet peeve) can't beat the price. Go with the fogs, I say.

It's really easy to splice the wires, if that's what you need to do. Trust me...I'm an electrical simpleton, and I've now put three sets of aux lights on my Jeep. On all 3, I had to cut out the harness and attach spade connectors (think grilling fork) to hook em up to my sPOD.

Next tornado that rolls through here, I'll be able to fix city-wide electrical probs. :D

ESP 09-25-2012 03:10 PM

LoL wolf, I do think I would regret not having the one with holes for the fog lights.

ESP 09-25-2012 03:10 PM

So that means I'm selling my Rough Country Stubby bumper end caps for the stock bumper then. :thumb: Anyone here in NC interested?

kjeeper10 09-25-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESP
So that means I'm selling my Rough Country Stubby bumper end caps for the stock bumper then. :thumb: Anyone here in NC interested?

For the stock bumper ?

I want to sell my set up as well. Want a real bumper :cool:

ESP 09-25-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 2828517)
For the stock bumper ?

I want to sell my set up as well. Want a real bumper :cool:

I hear that. I like this one and the weight is right too at about 40 lbs. The stock plastic bumper is about 36 lbs or so I think. Not shabby.

COD0140 10-03-2012 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESP (Post 2827276)
Does anyone have this bumper? I have heard that one or both of the stock fog lights need to be lengthened to install correctly.

Rough Country Hybrid Stubby $229 + D-rings and mount $89.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y26...601/photo3.jpg

That is a bad @ss shot!!

Cosmic Charlie 10-04-2012 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESP (Post 2827728)
So your saying you'll help? :D

ESP, where in NC are you? Splicing the light wire is fairly easy, but i'd be willing to help if you're near me.

ESP 10-04-2012 07:27 AM

^ Thanks man, I'm in Cary NC a bit of a run from Charlotte. :(

Potts 10-04-2012 01:45 PM

I like this... So you lose the factory tow hooks though right? I guess they're not needed if you put the d-rings on... Stinks the dring mounts and rings themselves are another $90 bones though. Would different d ring mounts work on this? Or is that a good price on them anyway?

ESP 10-04-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Potts (Post 2861389)
I like this... So you lose the factory tow hooks though right? I guess they're not needed if you put the d-rings on... Stinks the dring mounts and rings themselves are another $90 bones though. Would different d ring mounts work on this? Or is that a good price on them anyway?

D-rings look better than the stock tow hooks and it's pretty normal pricing for them.

DivingJack 10-15-2012 08:59 PM

On my list of upgrades. Great looking bumper at a great price.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:19 AM.