Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   2013 Wrangler Sport Front License Plate (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/2013-wrangler-sport-front-license-plate-189258.html)

LimeGrN2013 09-25-2012 03:14 PM

2013 Wrangler Sport Front License Plate

1 Attachment(s)
I have a question. I have a novelty license plate which contains my initials. I would like to attach it to my Jeep. However, the "dimples" to attach the plate are on the lower curved section of the stock bumper. So when attaching the plate to the bumper - the place faces downward. I am afraid over time it will weaken my plate and break it - due to wind, etc. Also it's just another place for a lot of debris to collect.

I have searched the internet over and over for a license plate bracket - none exist especially for the 2013 model yet. But I have seen many images of 07-12 models (which are pretty much the same as my 13) have their plates attached with screws at the top of the plate. Are people just drilling holes into the bumpers or are the dimples the only acceptable place? If so, how do I get it to lay flat?

I have had 4 previous Jeeps, but this is my first Wrangler.

5150 09-25-2012 03:53 PM

Front plate

I just centered the plate between the two lights and drilled two holes high on the bumper and used the two top holes on the plate, that way the plate is mounted straight up and down.

BadOleRoss 09-25-2012 05:37 PM

I did pretty much the same thing. Lined the lower holes in the plate up with the dimples on the bumper and put screws in the top holes.

Garyk 09-25-2012 06:17 PM

We live not too far from TX and they require a front plate but NM does not. I would think that Jeep supplies the front plate bracket to those areas that need it. just a thought.

rardinger 09-25-2012 06:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
On my 12 JK Rubicon there are 4 "dimples" on the bumper. The two easy to see ones at the bottom and two very hard to see ones at the top. The photo shows the top ones but if you look close or take a flashlight and side light the bumper you should see them. They line up with the 4 holes on a plate.

Ranger325 10-03-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5150 (Post 2828438)
I just centered the plate between the two lights and drilled two holes high on the bumper and used the two top holes on the plate, that way the plate is mounted straight up and down.

We picked up our 2013 JKU Monday and this is how the dealer said to install. However, there were no screws provided. Did ya'll just use the standard large sheet metal screw lookin' things usually used on plates?
Thanks

5150 10-04-2012 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranger325 (Post 2857506)
We picked up our 2013 JKU Monday and this is how the dealer said to install. However, there were no screws provided. Did ya'll just use the standard large sheet metal screw lookin' things usually used on plates?
Thanks

Yes just use a couple of large sheet metal screws.

futurshox 11-04-2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garyk (Post 2828960)
We live not too far from TX and they require a front plate but NM does not. I would think that Jeep supplies the front plate bracket to those areas that need it. just a thought.

Not on mine, they didn't!

To the drill...

lightstick 09-29-2013 05:16 PM

I found the dimples on the front bumper but I think there should still be a bracket for the plate?