Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   whistle or wind blow since windshield replacement (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/whistle-or-wind-blow-since-windshield-replacement-189530.html)

bamrein 09-26-2012 06:22 PM

whistle or wind blow since windshield replacement
 
I got my 2012 Unlimited last August. Since then I've had to get the windshield replaced twice. I've had the unfortunate experience of always having dump trucks nearby. Anyway, after the first break I noticed a whistle sound coming from somewhere around the windshield when I drove 35 - 55mph. The windshield guy put some type of strip across the top of the windshield. It seemed to stop it for about a day then it started back. Then about 2 months ago, the second break. I went to a different company to replace the windshield hoping it was maybe just a crappy job from the first guy. Well, the whistle is gone but it always sounds like air is coming in from somewhere around the windshield and it can get pretty loud at times. I took it back and they checked for leaks and couldn't find anything. Any thoughts on how I should get this fixed for good? Should I take it to the dealer?

Blastek 09-26-2012 06:34 PM

the windshield guy didn't do the job correctly, make them fix it. also, they can't just re-seal it or add sealer around the edges, they need to pull it and put a whole new screen in. apparently these screens break if you try to pull it out.

mine was like this from the factory (wind noise from one corner) and the dealer could not do windshields, they had to outsource it to a different company. it's fine now

SilverSport 09-26-2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blastek (Post 2832966)
the windshield guy didn't do the job correctly, make them fix it. also, they can't just re-seal it or add sealer around the edges, they need to pull it and put a whole new screen in. apparently these screens break if you try to pull it out.

mine was like this from the factory (wind noise from one corner) and the dealer could not do windshields, they had to outsource it to a different company. it's fine now

Was the noise from the driver's side?

Blastek 09-26-2012 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSport (Post 2833015)
Was the noise from the driver's side?

yeah, behind the tweeter

SilverSport 09-26-2012 06:55 PM

I asked because I have a lot of wind noise coming from the drivers side but I can't tell if its high or low on the windshield? It comes and goes too. How did the dealer verify your noise?

Blastek 09-26-2012 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSport (Post 2833062)
I asked because I have a lot of wind noise coming from the drivers side but I can't tell if its high or low on the windshield? It comes and goes too. How did the dealer verify your noise?

mine was kind of random too. i pointed it out during the inspection and the tech drove it when i dropped it off a few days later. he verified it. it's super hard to pinpoint the noise though.

i put masking tape over the entire seal and seams around the outside of the windshield, but i could still hear it. there are so many areas where air can get in (which is why sealing the outside doesn't work) so i started taping the inside instead. finally i found the exact spot just in the lower left corner. i could even feel a bit of air flow with my hand. if you do this, at least you can prove that it's the window and not some other seal.

I know there was a TSB out for 07s-08s for excessive noise in the drivers side cowl, but i think that was addressed in newer wranglers

kjeeper10 09-26-2012 07:16 PM

My windshield whistled since the day I bought it.
Until I removed the air dam .... Silence at last ..... Weird :confused:

jkucod12 09-26-2012 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bamrein (Post 2832927)
I got my 2012 Unlimited last August. Since then I've had to get the windshield replaced twice. I've had the unfortunate experience of always having dump trucks nearby. Anyway, after the first break I noticed a whistle sound coming from somewhere around the windshield when I drove 35 - 55mph. The windshield guy put some type of strip across the top of the windshield. It seemed to stop it for about a day then it started back. Then about 2 months ago, the second break. I went to a different company to replace the windshield hoping it was maybe just a crappy job from the first guy. Well, the whistle is gone but it always sounds like air is coming in from somewhere around the windshield and it can get pretty loud at times. I took it back and they checked for leaks and couldn't find anything. Any thoughts on how I should get this fixed for good? Should I take it to the dealer?

---------------------------------------------------

Did you get a dealer or after market windshield?

bamrein 09-26-2012 09:04 PM

I got the dealer windshield both times, not an aftermarket.

bamrein 09-26-2012 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blastek (Post 2832966)
the windshield guy didn't do the job correctly, make them fix it. also, they can't just re-seal it or add sealer around the edges, they need to pull it and put a whole new screen in. apparently these screens break if you try to pull it out.

mine was like this from the factory (wind noise from one corner) and the dealer could not do windshields, they had to outsource it to a different company. it's fine now

I want to agree with you about the windshield guy, I just find it odd that two completely different windshield companies can't get the job right. Never had an issue with it before the first break. The second company is putting the problem back on Jeep since its happened after both replacements. Should I take it to the dealer?

Also the noise seems to be coming from the passenger side.

SilverSport 09-26-2012 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blastek (Post 2833107)
mine was kind of random too. i pointed it out during the inspection and the tech drove it when i dropped it off a few days later. he verified it. it's super hard to pinpoint the noise though.

i put masking tape over the entire seal and seams around the outside of the windshield, but i could still hear it. there are so many areas where air can get in (which is why sealing the outside doesn't work) so i started taping the inside instead. finally i found the exact spot just in the lower left corner. i could even feel a bit of air flow with my hand. if you do this, at least you can prove that it's the window and not some other seal.

I know there was a TSB out for 07s-08s for excessive noise in the drivers side cowl, but i think that was addressed in newer wranglers

Thanks for the tip! :thumb:

SilverSport 10-19-2012 06:56 PM

Got mine into the dealer today so they could investigate. Dropped it off this morning and shop foreman called at 3 PM to say he found the cause and a fix.

Written on the service order:
"BODY/MECHANICAL WIND NOISE AT HWY SPEED TOP LEFT. JESS VERIFIED CUSTOMER CONCERN. NOISE IS COMING FROM THE TOP LEFT OF THE WINDSHIELD AREA. SOUNDS LIKE IT IS SWIRLING BEHIND THE TRIM PANEL. TAPED OFF WINDSHIELD SEAMS AND RE-TEST DROVE. NOISE IS STILL PRESENT. TAPED OFF THE FREEDOM PANELS TO HEADER SEAM AND RE-TEST DROVE. NOISE IS STILL PRESENT. TAPED OFF THE DOOR SEAM AND VERIFIED WIND NOISE IS NO LONGER PRESENT. RETURNED TO THE SHOP AND INSPECTED DOOR WEATHERSTRIP AND FREEDOM TOP WEATHERSTRIP. NO PHYSICAL SIGNS OF DAMAGE PRESENT. SEARCHED FOR TSBs AND TECH TIPS AND FOUND A TECH TIP FOR BOTH THE FREEDOM TOP AND DOOR WEATHERSTRIP TO CALL AN ENGINEER BEFORE REPLACING THOSE PARTS. CONTACTED ENGINEER AND WAS GIVEN STAR CASE #1123000054 REFERENCING A WIND NOISE THAT THE CUSTOMER HAS DESCRIBED. STAR CASE STATES THE NOISE IS COMING UP THROUGH THE A-PILLAR FROM THE OUTSIDE. STAR CASE STATES TO REMOVE THE A-PILLAR TRIM PANELS AND FILL THE A-PILLAR WITH SPRAY FOAM INSULATION. ALLOW TO CURE THEN RE-TEST".

COStrider 10-19-2012 08:32 PM

I had this same problem and the safelight auto glass tech said they had a "company TSB" about the windshield needing to be perfectly installed. The factory windshields are computer installed, of course, and if the windshield isn't very accurately placed- it will have a whistle.

So...your install is bad. The tolerances are considerably tighter than other jeeps/vehicles from what the tech told me. The windshield has to be perfectly flush with the windshield frame. You can tell by dragging your finger around the gap of a original windshield vs that of one that is improperly intalled

Hope that helps

Kenno 10-28-2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSport
Got mine into the dealer today so they could investigate. Dropped it off this morning and shop foreman called at 3 PM to say he found the cause and a fix.

Written on the service order:
"BODY/MECHANICAL WIND NOISE AT HWY SPEED TOP LEFT. JESS VERIFIED CUSTOMER CONCERN. NOISE IS COMING FROM THE TOP LEFT OF THE WINDSHIELD AREA. SOUNDS LIKE IT IS SWIRLING BEHIND THE TRIM PANEL. TAPED OFF WINDSHIELD SEAMS AND RE-TEST DROVE. NOISE IS STILL PRESENT. TAPED OFF THE FREEDOM PANELS TO HEADER SEAM AND RE-TEST DROVE. NOISE IS STILL PRESENT. TAPED OFF THE DOOR SEAM AND VERIFIED WIND NOISE IS NO LONGER PRESENT. RETURNED TO THE SHOP AND INSPECTED DOOR WEATHERSTRIP AND FREEDOM TOP WEATHERSTRIP. NO PHYSICAL SIGNS OF DAMAGE PRESENT. SEARCHED FOR TSBs AND TECH TIPS AND FOUND A TECH TIP FOR BOTH THE FREEDOM TOP AND DOOR WEATHERSTRIP TO CALL AN ENGINEER BEFORE REPLACING THOSE PARTS. CONTACTED ENGINEER AND WAS GIVEN STAR CASE #1123000054 REFERENCING A WIND NOISE THAT THE CUSTOMER HAS DESCRIBED. STAR CASE STATES THE NOISE IS COMING UP THROUGH THE A-PILLAR FROM THE OUTSIDE. STAR CASE STATES TO REMOVE THE A-PILLAR TRIM PANELS AND FILL THE A-PILLAR WITH SPRAY FOAM INSULATION. ALLOW TO CURE THEN RE-TEST".

Did this foam do the trick?

SilverSport 10-28-2012 04:10 PM

My Jeep goes in Tuesday, will update after.

Ex Umbris Currus 10-28-2012 04:22 PM

My 2012 JKUR had a whistle coming from around the windshield when I bought it. I just used caulk around the windshield and problem solved. No more whistle.

Geoscene 10-28-2012 04:45 PM

I watched while Safelite replaced my windshield last week with an OEM screen. The tech was great and explained exactly what he was doing.

First, the factory adhesive had a thin zone at the start stop position which on mine (and all of them I suspect) was at the lower passenger corner. It was a very even bead except for there and was probably applied by a robot.

The Safelite tech said it was important to trim away the remaining adhesive before applying the new bead. He used a battery powered adhesive gun to lay down the new bead which was much more even than the factory bead. He also took a lot of time to make sure it was perfectly symmetrical before placing the new screen into position.

When he positioned the screen he really took a lot of time to make sure the margins were exactly symmetrical. He also made sure that the windshield was flush with the surrounding metal. He said that if a replacement windshield whistled, 9 times out of 10 it was because it was left a little proud or protruding.

He must have known what he was talking about because mine is absolutely quite.

robskully 10-28-2012 05:07 PM

mine had the noise on drivers side by tweeter.
While driving I stuck my hand there and above
45mp I could feel wind coming in. Dealer had
windshield replaced and said the weather stripping
was twisted causing wind to slip by.
Rob ....

Kenno 10-30-2012 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ex Umbris Currus
My 2012 JKUR had a whistle coming from around the windshield when I bought it. I just used caulk around the windshield and problem solved. No more whistle.

Inside or outside, what kind did you use?

SilverSport 10-30-2012 09:07 PM

Its fixed! :dance:

Written on repair order: REMOVED LEFT A-PILLAR TRIM AND FILLED THE A-PILLAR WITH EXPANDING FOAM INSULATION. REINSTALLED TRIM PANELS AND TEST DROVE THE VEHICLE. VERIFIED THAT AT THIS TIME THE WIND NOISE IS NO LONGER PRESENT.

kjeeper10 10-30-2012 09:50 PM

I removed my air dam and whistle went away.
It did....... really :)

SilverSport 10-30-2012 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 2944503)
I removed my air dam and whistle went away.
It did....... really :)

No......the whistle went away when you installed the 9000s. :D

kjeeper10 10-30-2012 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSport

No......the whistle went away when you installed the 9000s. :D

No the thump from my head hitting the sound bar went away :D


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:24 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.