Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/)
-   -   Seafoam Haters (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/seafoam-haters-189876.html)

DARKSLAYER56 09-28-2012 01:54 PM

Seafoam Haters

I heard someone mention that there were quite a few Seafoam haters out there. I was considering doing it, not because my Jeep runs poorly but because I was hoping it would run a little better. Maybe even help the MPG's. I've heard why I should so I want to hear from the haters why I shouldn't. Is it a risky and why?

ChicaliBroYJ 09-28-2012 05:56 PM

From what I gather:

1) it can dislodge deposits that keep your jeep from leaking.
2) it adds more gunk on the intake ports
3) this is something I've wondered myself, does it ruin your cat by having all the burnt up stuff flow down through it?

Xpress 09-28-2012 07:10 PM

Run enough seafoam and it'll clear out everything. It'll clean out your gas tank, then your fuel filter, then your lines, then your injector, then your intake, then your exhaust.

People like to over-react over thingsl ike this because it's unfamiliar to it. It's been proven to work. It breaks down the gunk and basically disssolves it into microscopic particles that won't clog up anything.

YJPete 09-28-2012 07:15 PM

Bump

I've been thinking of running a few tanks with it for the same reasons as the OP, just to clean everything up internally so I know it's as good as it can be.

MellowYellow89YJ 09-28-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xpress
Run enough seafoam and it'll clear out everything. It'll clean out your gas tank, then your fuel filter, then your lines, then your injector, then your intake, then your exhaust.

People like to over-react over thingsl ike this because it's unfamiliar to it. It's been proven to work. It breaks down the gunk and basically disssolves it into microscopic particles that won't clog up anything.

These are the facts... Seafoam works. Whether you pour it in your fuel tank, add it to the oil, or inject it thru the vac system... It works to clean out fuel varnish and baked or caked on oil in your engine. It doesn't cause new problems, but can reveal existing issues that were masked be all the gunk.

superdiver 09-28-2012 07:52 PM

I have used it in my diesels on my boat, in my oil on the boat, in my gas and oil on my motorcycles and on my jeepfluids as well... if it "hurts" things I havent seen it for years, i believe it helps, but my opinion is in NO WAY scentific prrof of its effectiveness... BUT, i will keep using it for sure!

Jeepfreak94 09-28-2012 07:55 PM

Don't forget to use the Seafoam Deep Creep to clean the throttle body. Spray down the interior of the TB and give it a good scrub with an old toothbrush. FYI...Don't use your wifes toothbrush, she won't be happy. LOL. Seriously, about once a year, I pour about a of the can down the brake hose vacuum line til it chokes down. I then clean the TB and restart the engine. Engine runs great and the insides are clean as a whistle. I know, I checked it with my snake camera.

kdub 09-28-2012 08:02 PM

I use it.its good stuff

cakes567 09-28-2012 09:00 PM

I use it and I like it a lot. Works great for small engines like weed wackers and chain saws. Iv also ran it threw motorcycles dirtbikes 4whellers just and also my jeep. Iv ran it in everything I got and I was happy with it.

DARKSLAYER56 10-01-2012 07:48 AM

Wow. So far, mostly only positive responses. So far all the negative comments have basically been a bunch of (maybe's and possible's). Does anyone have a true "horror" story about the stuff? Thanks guys for all the responses.

camarozz 10-01-2012 08:00 AM

Well, I can say I used a can once and it did nothing to improve how the rig ran. :)

Never used it in the crankcase, but I need to now, think I have a stuck lifter in the Mustang.

sevenservices 10-01-2012 08:12 AM

I think the only reason folks may have trouble is if there is so much gunk that it breaks it up then it clogs the intake screen on the oil pump. In which its not the cleaner but all the crap thats in there that causes the issues.

nicks_yj 10-01-2012 08:24 AM

I love the stuff no complaints and in the crankcase it will fix the lifter :) and everything else in your motor the only horror I have with it is that it's almost 9$ a can

camarozz 10-01-2012 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicks_yj (Post 2848221)
I love the stuff no complaints and in the crankcase it will fix the lifter :) and everything else in your motor the only horror I have with it is that it's almost 9$ a can

Yeah, Im hoping stuck and not collapsed... and still assuming its the lifter.

Right now I just added some ATF to get things started; payday will be the seafoam.

Airboatingobx 10-01-2012 01:04 PM

Well I don't have horror stories of it messing anything up. I've used it in everything I run, noticed the other day that the jeep had a small tick from the lifters. Put a bottle in the oil ran it for a week and changed the oil no tick anymore, actualy in the first hour of running it the tick went away. I run a bottle threw the break vacuum line once a year also just pull it of and let the vacuum suck it up till it Boggs down. She will smoke like a freight train but it does help.

cakes567 10-01-2012 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airboatingobx
Well I don't have horror stories of it messing anything up. I've used it in everything I run, noticed the other day that the jeep had a small tick from the lifters. Put a bottle in the oil ran it for a week and changed the oil no tick anymore, actualy in the first hour of running it the tick went away. I run a bottle threw the break vacuum line once a year also just pull it of and let the vacuum suck it up till it Boggs down. She will smoke like a freight train but it does help.

Mine smoked like crazy to!

Chemicalman 10-01-2012 02:53 PM

A couple of weeks ago Advance Auto had them buy one get one free, not sure if its still going on.

DirtyRob 10-01-2012 09:01 PM

CB12 does the same from what I have seen. I use them both 1/3 can through a vacuum line in the intake, and the rest of the can in the gas tank. This works to clear a rough idle 90% of the time

88Sahara 10-01-2012 09:18 PM

I've used it in Jeeps, Dirtbikes, Streetbikes and Hot Rods. It's one of the few additives out there that actually seems to do something besides lighten you wallet. I've seen very good reviews of it on several different forums.

egillette87 10-01-2012 09:30 PM

only horror story I have is that when putting the Seafoam through my vac line, the PVC elbow dealio burnt off and squirted oil all over myself and the engine bay. Just put a new one on and runs fine afterwards. Other would be it cost $9 a can AND it pisses off other patrons or neighbors when the white plume comes towards their open windowed cars or houses :]

jokerchief462 10-01-2012 11:10 PM

It was my aanswer to a failed smog after running reaal rich for a short period of time. I had a bad pressure regulator on a 2.5 TBI. So fixed the pressure regulator and a tank of seafoam. Passed with very low readings and cleaned up everything aall the way into the exhaust pipe. Love it run regular now.

Sandstorm95 10-02-2012 09:03 AM

U say it could possibly fix a lifter tick?

nicks_yj 10-02-2012 09:08 AM

Almost 99% garanteed

MellowYellow89YJ 10-02-2012 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandstorm95
U say it could possibly fix a lifter tick?

That is one of its major purposes. Fixed mine.

Sandstorm95 10-02-2012 12:40 PM

How would u do it

nicks_yj 10-02-2012 12:57 PM

Add some where you add your oil

Surfinglbi23 10-02-2012 03:09 PM

I love the stuff, have a can in my tank right now, about 1/4 of the tank used up, already steadied out the rough idle I had with it.

Speedy4x4 10-03-2012 08:42 AM

Just used seafoam for the first time ever in my tank.
WOW

So far I've noticed.
1. Smoother cruising
2. Valve clicking gone
3. Smoother low end
4. More low end power
5. More mpg. (Not calculated)
6. Starts easier and runs as if I put new injectors in it

Stripedbass91 10-20-2012 08:27 PM

Hi All, I have used Seafoam in the past for my boat and other motors, however never an automobile.

I used it today on my sons 1991 / 2.5 with 125K on the clock. He picked this Jeep up over the summer and I have been doing some mechanical upgrades over the past month or so.

I added a can to the gas tank and then added 1/2 can to the vacuum hose off the brake booster as directed here and other places.

As the directions called, I poured the Seafoam into the hose at a very slow rate with my son keeping the motor at 1800-2000 RPMs. Toward the end of the pour, we got the heavy white smoke....once it was in, cut the engine and waited 15 mins. When we started it up again, I was expecting allot of white smoke, however it was not that heavy....as he took off up the road, I could see it however.

So far, it seems to have worked....we didn't have any major issues, however thought it could run smoother. We should have a better feel in a day or two.

Mike

2xs 10-20-2012 09:38 PM

http://www.beaufortcountylibrary.org...es/Seafoam.jpg

mmm, seafoam....