Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Canada Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f119/)
-   -   good winter tires ? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f119/good-winter-tires-189976.html)

dubie316 09-28-2012 11:17 PM

good winter tires ?
 
anybody know what a good winter tire would be. keeping in mind I'll be doing about 80 percent of my driving on pavement and I'm looking to keep the stock size of 255/75/R17. thanks in advance

Dick Blonov 10-01-2012 09:44 AM

Last winter I ran Toyo open Country GO2+ 265/70/17's. Used the Toyos on various vehicles. Where are you located?

Phil

dubie316 10-03-2012 10:26 AM

Nova scotia Canada

RescueMe10 10-03-2012 10:31 AM

I've been asking the same thing in another thread. They keep telling me DuraTracs. Good luck!

xxss 10-03-2012 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RescueMe10 (Post 2856964)
I've been asking the same thing in another thread. They keep telling me DuraTracs. Good luck!

Durartacs are a great all around tire, but are not a winter specific tire. If only wanting to run one set of tires year round they are a great pick.

mackdj1 10-04-2012 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubie316 (Post 2856951)
Nova scotia Canada

Hey from another Nova Scotian

Dick Blonov 10-14-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubie316 (Post 2856951)
Nova scotia Canada


I'm selling 4 moad (17") rims with the Toyos (265/70R17). NS is a bit too far for pick-up or delivery :D

Find your tires? If you stick to 255/75R17, you're faced with limited choice. That's why I went 265/70, very close size wise and much more choices. I think the Blizzaks comes in 255/75R17. Good tire, but wears fast.

DB

tmpb 11-10-2012 07:30 PM

I've got a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Altitude bought in July this year, want to put winter tires on it and have read its preferable to put slightly smaller winter tires on, so I thought I'd go 17 inch rims and tires to fit (summer tires 18 inch rims) went to Chrysler dealer to take advantage of 3 for price of 4 deal on now and they told me if I went to 17 inch rims and tires I'd blow the differential?????

Any truth to this!

Thanks - Perplexed in Waterloo Ontario

12JKSP 11-10-2012 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmpb
I've got a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Altitude bought in July this year, want to put winter tires on it and have read its preferable to put slightly smaller winter tires on, so I thought I'd go 17 inch rims and tires to fit (summer tires 18 inch rims) went to Chrysler dealer to take advantage of 3 for price of 4 deal on now and they told me if I went to 17 inch rims and tires I'd blow the differential?????

Any truth to this!

Thanks - Perplexed in Waterloo Ontario


No truth to this.
A tire sized right has no effect on a diff.
Stock jeep tires are 255/70/18 Sahara
255/75/17 rubicon
225/75/16 sport

I've got a 6 speed, went from 16" to 17" and re-calibrated with a pro cal module to correct the speedo. It matters more with an auto as the CPU shifts for you. There are gear charts to calculate rpm with different gear ratios 321...373...410....etc

Canadian GP 11-11-2012 09:34 AM

I plan on buying a 2013 Sahara Unlimited in the near future, are the Bridgestone Dueler AT decent tires for southern Ontario winters?

12JKSP 11-11-2012 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadian GP
I plan on buying a 2013 Sahara Unlimited in the near future, are the Bridgestone Dueler AT decent tires for southern Ontario winters?

The best winter tire is a "winter tire"
The stock jeep tires are 3 seasons....lol I ment all seasons

MHjk 11-11-2012 11:24 PM

i ran goodyear ultragrip winter tires last year in that size. Ultra Grip SUV Tires | Goodyear Tires Canada

great amazing tires on the highway and around town especially on ice. I sold them just recently as i lifted the jeep and put 35 mt's on it and didnt want to have small tires on the rig.... must say, mt's are not a great winter tire lol.

M38A1 11-12-2012 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubie316 (Post 2856951)
Nova scotia Canada

Quote:

Originally Posted by mackdj1 (Post 2860185)
Hey from another Nova Scotian

Where in NS!? :wavey: from Cape Breton!

mackdj1 11-12-2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M38A1

Where in NS!? :wavey: from Cape Breton!

Down here in Sackville. Any good trails your way?

M38A1 11-12-2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mackdj1 (Post 2988237)
Down here in Sackville. Any good trails your way?

I've only been trail hunting just shy of a month but have found a few fun, stock safe runs through the woods around Cape Breton County. I suspect there is some more exciting terrain around the Highlands but haven't found a trail buddy (or winch) yet - trails are pretty soft the last few weeks and don't want to get too deep without a tow.

caperjeep posted some pics of some crawling somewhere off the Cabot Trail:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f24/whe...on-182745.html

I want to go to there...

(Sorry for highjacking your thread dubie! FWIW I'm currently running a cheap set of Hercules Avalanche Extreme boots the dealer threw in to close the deal but I haven't had them long enough to know how they perform or wear. They aren't as loud as I expected, even studded.)

mackdj1 11-12-2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M38A1

I've only been trail hunting just shy of a month but have found a few fun, stock safe runs through the woods around Cape Breton County. I suspect there is some more exciting terrain around the Highlands but haven't found a trail buddy (or winch) yet - trails are pretty soft the last few weeks and don't want to get too deep without a tow.

caperjeep posted some pics of some crawling somewhere off the Cabot Trail:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f24/whe...on-182745.html

I want to go to there...

(Sorry for highjacking your thread dubie! FWIW I'm currently running a cheap set of Hercules Avalanche Extreme boots the dealer threw in to close the deal but I haven't had them long enough to know how they perform or wear. They aren't as loud as I expected, even studded.)

Yeah that looks great. Might have to plan a trip for next year. Ditto about the hijack

mova scotia 11-17-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubie316 (Post 2841146)
anybody know what a good winter tire would be. keeping in mind I'll be doing about 80 percent of my driving on pavement and I'm looking to keep the stock size of 255/75/R17. thanks in advance

I have the same all-season size tires/rims--- living right on the NS coast studded winters are a must, IMHO (lots of ice issues out here). Don't need a fancy expensive winter tire... just get a cheaper but decent studdable one. Because of sizes and studdable availability, have to get 265-70-17... doublechecked size with Jeep dealer, it is correct. Best deal I got by far was Cooper Winterquest w/studs and steel wheels at Pudgy Tire in Cole Harbour. Hope that helps.

mackdj1 11-17-2012 05:54 PM

Hey mova! Nice to see a fellow Nova Scotian here

mova scotia 11-17-2012 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mackdj1 (Post 3006616)
Hey mova! Nice to see a fellow Nova Scotian here

Haha thanks for the welcome.... Not a fellow though, haha! :doh:

Just bought my very first Jeep a few days ago... love it! :dance:

mackdj1 11-18-2012 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mova scotia

Haha thanks for the welcome.... Not a fellow though, haha! :doh:

Just bought my very first Jeep a few days ago... love it! :dance:

Yeah got mine back in July. Love it

tmpb 11-19-2012 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12JKSP (Post 2981033)
No truth to this.
A tire sized right has no effect on a diff.
Stock jeep tires are 255/70/18 Sahara
255/75/17 rubicon
225/75/16 sport

I've got a 6 speed, went from 16" to 17" and re-calibrated with a pro cal module to correct the speedo. It matters more with an auto as the CPU shifts for you. There are gear charts to calculate rpm with different gear ratios 321...373...410....etc

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmpb (Post 2980508)
I've got a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Altitude bought in July this year, want to put winter tires on it and have read its preferable to put slightly smaller winter tires on, so I thought I'd go 17 inch rims and tires to fit (summer tires 18 inch rims) went to Chrysler dealer to take advantage of 3 for price of 4 deal on now and they told me if I went to 17 inch rims and tires I'd blow the differential?????

Any truth to this!

Thanks - Perplexed in Waterloo Ontario


thanks much for the info, I'll go with the 17 inch for winter tires - Don't know where the dealer was coming from with the advise they gave ?

Jeep_88 11-21-2012 02:41 PM

I looked around a lot for a good winter tire, Duratracs came up a lot, after looking at them they look like they would be brutal on ice! I've decided to go with the Hankook RW11 Ipike winter tire, I put a set on my mom's Liberty and they're great, also don't hydroplane as easily as my Bridgestones on my Patriot so that's what I've decided on for my Wrangler.

Hellraiser 12-04-2012 09:25 PM

Duratac's are really good on ice. Or I would have heard about from my other half by now. ;). Second winter and no issues. Besides her wanting to go to 35's. lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:45 AM.