Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Has the 2012 pentastar head problem spilled over into the 2013 line (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/has-the-2012-pentastar-head-problem-spilled-over-into-the-2013-line-190348.html)

jwood56 09-30-2012 06:10 PM

Has the 2012 pentastar head problem spilled over into the 2013 line

Does anyone know whats going on? I sat out the 12's. Just got a 13 JK Sahahra in August. Build date 08/06/12. assuming it must have the new ROBUST AB head. Now i just checked and learned that if the head was replaced it would be a rev. AC. Could be a new supplier or a minor spec change. Our could be that engineers are still chasing the problem. Saw a post here of someone that saw a 13 in a dealer shop getting a new head at 500 miles. Nothing confirmed, as of yet no member with a 2013 has posted this happening that I know of yet :banghead:

MTH 09-30-2012 07:32 PM

There won't be any sort of announcement, unfortunately. At least I wouldn't expect one.

Jeep hasn't publicly acknowledged the reality of problem in the first instance, and they're certainly not going to come out with a statement that undermines the 12s they're still trying to sell or have just sold.

I'm pretty sure that huge thread here on this issue has noted a part number change and come up with a build date they believe marks the end of the bad heads. But . . . it's all speculation until the 13s roll around for a few months tick-free.

captain mike 09-30-2012 08:39 PM

Ordered my 2013 JKU September 2 and is in the pipeline I hope i get it in the next couple of weeks and my new jeep will not come stock with the free option of pentastar engine problems.

My 1999 TJ runs great but it is time with 102 k miles and 14 years it has been a great vehicle even though the 4.0 sucks gas for a 6 cyl in a light truck.

I hope I am as satisfied with my new jeep down the road and hopefully this 3rd head revision has done the trick.

It has been many years since I modified the TJ and I look forward to installing the many mods I have ordered aftermarket.

Hildebk 12-04-2012 11:31 PM

I just bought a 2013 Wrangler Sport, at the end of September, it now has 6400 miles on it and the dealer just finished replacing BOTH heads, yes BOTH heads, with NEW ones. I took it in because it would barely idle, it had a MIL code of P0300 (multi cylinder misfire)! Wow, I now have a brand new Jeep that has a REBUILT motor in it! So, my guess is, they still have not resolved the head problem. The build date on the door is August 2012. I have not picked it up yet, so I don't know how we'll it will run.

wcbardwell 12-05-2012 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH
There won't be any sort of announcement, unfortunately. At least I wouldn't expect one.

Jeep hasn't publicly acknowledged the reality of problem in the first instance, and they're certainly not going to come out with a statement that undermines the 12s they're still trying to sell or have just sold.

I'm pretty sure that huge thread here on this issue has noted a part number change and come up with a build date they believe marks the end of the bad heads. But . . . it's all speculation until the 13s roll around for a few months tick-free.

I think Chrysler has commented on the problem... Links below:

http://wot.motortrend.com/we-hear-ch...#axzz2E9f798q7

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2012...news/120819959

Blastek 12-05-2012 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hildebk (Post 3068379)
I just bought a 2013 Wrangler Sport, at the end of September, it now has 6400 miles on it and the dealer just finished replacing BOTH heads, yes BOTH heads, with NEW ones. I took it in because it would barely idle, it had a MIL code of P0300 (multi cylinder misfire)! Wow, I now have a brand new Jeep that has a REBUILT motor in it! So, my guess is, they still have not resolved the head problem. The build date on the door is August 2012. I have not picked it up yet, so I don't know how we'll it will run.

Hi, sorry for your troubles. can you read the build date off the stamp on the driver's side cylinder head? it's just above the exhaust coming out of the head and the first line should be something like ###2B. That is the build date in julian.

you can see it if you put your chin on the driver's side fender and look past the steering column.

corbidougu 12-05-2012 12:50 AM

I hope I am as satisfied with my new jeep down the road and hopefully this 3rd head revision has done the trick.http://www.dutvs.info/a121.jpg

Strokerswild 12-05-2012 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captain mike (Post 2846978)

My 1999 TJ runs great but it is time with 102 k miles and 14 years it has been a great vehicle even though the 4.0 sucks gas for a 6 cyl in a light truck.

News flash - they aren't a heck of a lot better on gas these days.....

davefr 12-05-2012 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wcbardwell (Post 3068481)

They're claiming <.5% problem rate.

Are they lying or is this accurate??

ratchettt 12-05-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wcbardwell (Post 3068481)

Many thanks. I, too, thought they were in denial.

wcbardwell 12-05-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davefr

They're claiming <.5% problem rate.

Are they lying or is this accurate??

I would probably say they are trying to minimize the damage and trying to prevent a recall on the heads. I think the number stated was 7,500 engines effected... I think that number is bogus... Just my opinion.

Hildebk 12-08-2012 01:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's 3002G, I picked it up 2 days ago, it running pretty good, so far.

wcbardwell 12-08-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hildebk
It's 3002G, I picked it up 2 days ago, it running pretty good, so far.

Congrats... Only a month and a half old... No ticking? Mine will be done Monday (or so they say).

lo lo 12-08-2012 05:04 PM

No ticking on mine yet. Then again, I only took delivery of my 2013 a couple of weeks ago, and I only have a couple hundred on the odometer... We'll see.

BlueLesPaul2006 12-08-2012 05:08 PM

Mine has ticked from day 1 but so far so good. No codes and I have over 19500 miles on it. We will see.

Hildebk 12-08-2012 05:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blastek (Post 3068490)
Hi, sorry for your troubles. can you read the build date off the stamp on the driver's side cylinder head? it's just above the exhaust coming out of the head and the first line should be something like ###2B. That is the build date in julian.

you can see it if you put your chin on the driver's side fender and look past the steering column.

It's 3002g

mjpjr45 12-08-2012 09:52 PM

Got mine in Sept, now has 2900 miles, and no ticking yet. I was never a Chrysler fan, but I am a bit impressed with this engine. It is surprisingly peppy. Just wish it had a bit more lower end torque.

HRR1 12-09-2012 02:44 PM

How did you get that picture? There are wires and connections in front of mine. All I can see is the _ _ 3000 at the bottom.

bzffr8 05-08-2013 12:34 AM

Bought our 2013 Jeep on April 12th 2013. Build date on door is March 13th. At 580 miles while on a trail, the check engine light comes on. Everything feels okay and it runs okay. Went directly to dealer in Yucca Valley Ca, and DTC code was P0306 misfire cly 6, plus a code of P2099 Downstream fuel rich. Dealer says that I need to have the head replaced. So yes I guess it has spilled way over into the 2013 model year.

gregaf3 05-08-2013 12:48 AM

Oct build date, I get some light valve rattle on startup if it sits for more than a day. It goes away after 10-20 seconds. 8500 miles so far and no check engine lights.

I got the lifetime warranty so I will not complain unless it gets worse.

Sasquatchewan 05-08-2013 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wcbardwell (Post 3070382)
I would probably say they are trying to minimize the damage and trying to prevent a recall on the heads. I think the number stated was 7,500 engines effected... I think that number is bogus... Just my opinion.

7500 engines effected & they are all on this forum lol

Lusus_Naturae 05-08-2013 06:43 AM

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/doe...ad-198794.html

Shows how to ID the head.

Lusus_Naturae 05-08-2013 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bzffr8 (Post 3732145)
Bought our 2013 Jeep on April 12th 2013. Build date on door is March 13th. At 580 miles while on a trail, the check engine light comes on. Everything feels okay and it runs okay. Went directly to dealer in Yucca Valley Ca, and DTC code was P0306 misfire cly 6, plus a code of P2099 Downstream fuel rich. Dealer says that I need to have the head replaced. So yes I guess it has spilled way over into the 2013 model year.

This doesn't sound like the same head issue that has been around. Sounds like an oddball and I don't know how they are connecting rich fuel/misfire codes with the head right away, unless they really tested everything out, just having them automatically say its the head is kind of weird. Not impossible, I'm just not seeing it right now.

I also don't trust dealers very well, our good dealer told us we had an oil leak coming from the oil pan in the Sebring. They gave us a $500 bill to do it because of the labor required. The leak wasn't bad, so I got it up on the lift to really look at it (the only reason I really like that dealer, I'm allowed in the shop to look at my vehicle). I poke around under there and find the oil pan leak is a oil sensor leaking behind a shield and running along the oil pan lip. I take it home, buy the part for $25, and take it over to my friend that has a lift and do it myself. Your dealer is only as good as the techs working there.

Blastek 05-08-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lusus_Naturae (Post 3732689)
This doesn't sound like the same head issue that has been around. Sounds like an oddball and I don't know how they are connecting rich fuel/misfire codes with the head right away, unless they really tested everything out, just having them automatically say its the head is kind of weird. Not impossible, I'm just not seeing it right now.

I also don't trust dealers very well, our good dealer told us we had an oil leak coming from the oil pan in the Sebring. They gave us a $500 bill to do it because of the labor required. The leak wasn't bad, so I got it up on the lift to really look at it (the only reason I really like that dealer, I'm allowed in the shop to look at my vehicle). I poke around under there and find the oil pan leak is a oil sensor leaking behind a shield and running along the oil pan lip. I take it home, buy the part for $25, and take it over to my friend that has a lift and do it myself. Your dealer is only as good as the techs working there.

I kinda agree on this one. 580 miles is a record for a misfire CEL. I suspect something else was faulty and they had a knee-jerk head replacement reaction instead of checking the plugs/injectors etc.

CARDER001 05-19-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregaf3 (Post 3732166)
Oct build date, I get some light valve rattle on startup if it sits for more than a day. It goes away after 10-20 seconds. 8500 miles so far and no check engine lights.

I got the lifetime warranty so I will not complain unless it gets worse.

mine too. Build date Jan/2013

CARDER001 05-19-2013 11:16 AM

This is so disappointing. I was so proud to buy an American Made Vehicle again, even though a lot of parts are made else where.

After the initial valve rattle at start up, mine has a mild ticking sound, but I think, I hope, it's just sound coming from the fuel injectors.

HK_Runner 05-19-2013 07:21 PM

They are saying 1% SO FAR. I am thinking that 1% will keep going up. I wish they would come out and tell us exactly what causes this. Sounds like ambiguous and shady BS to avoid a recall or something. Great...my first new American vehicle.

dale 3 05-19-2013 08:06 PM

My 2 cents....Think about it?
Im confused, does chrysler still own jeep or does fiat own jeep now? - Yahoo! Answers

HK_Runner 05-19-2013 08:09 PM

Nothing Fiat about it either way.

Miser 05-19-2013 08:42 PM

What I have found out after doing a lot of research is that our 3.6 engine does not have a ADBV incorporated into the oil filtering system. So what's happening is that when you shut off your engine the oil that was in the filter canister drains back to the oil pan. At start up there is a lag time for that filter to fill back up, therefore we hear some tick/rattle on start up. My 2013 does it, but it is very minor to some that I have driven. I road tested about 6 different Wranglers at different Dealers, before buying mine. They all make this noise, some are a little loader than others, mine is one of the quieter ones, but it still does it. IT JUST BLOWS MY MIND THAT CHRYSLER WOULD NOT HAVE ENGINEERED A ADBV VALVE IN OUR CURRENT PRODUCTION ENGINES. I SENT A E-MAIL THROUGH THEIR TECH SERVICE DEPARTMENT AND ASKED AS TO WHY AND THEY NEVER RESPONDED BACK TO ME.
This is just a oil starvation sound that we are hearing at start up, and to the best of my knowledge has nothing to do with the cylinder head issue.
IF I AM WRONG AND THERE IS A ADBV IN THE 3.6 THEN PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHERE IT IS AT IN THE ENGINE................