Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Maryland Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f94/)
-   -   That Time Of Year Again (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f94/that-time-of-year-again-190445.html)

JeepWranglerNation 10-01-2012 09:10 AM

That Time Of Year Again

Calling All Jeep Wranglers In Or Around: MD, VA, WV, NC & TN

Sat morning I woke up and headed to the kitchen to make some coffee.. when I nearly stumbled over my wife's over night bag.. and I knew what she was hinting.

Without words or letting her know what I have plan, I set out to create a short trip to the NC, VA & TN mountains.. Typically this would mean a short trip (long weekend) through or on the Blue Ridge parkway with one place as main destination.. Libby Hill Seafood.

There's been time when we just headed to Libby Hill seafood and turned around and came back home.. all in a days trip.. But this time I think I'll surprise her with a bit more of an adventure.

Tintively scheduled is the Libby Hill Seafood restaurant in Mount Airy Nc, Then heading due south We'll create a base camp in the NC mountains taking in the sites and sounds of Fall.

Not to leave any Jeep guys/girls out we stops will include of course Libby Hill, Hardees and a Gem & Mineral museum in Asheville, NC.

Anyone who has ever known about our travels.. Knows that two years ago we did 7 states in one day.. I can't say we'll do that again with the limited time.. But anything is possible.

So If your into Jeeps, looking at the fall colors just off the Blue Ridge parkway or into Rocks and Minerals (Like we are) Register or let us know today and take part in this long weekend adventure.
  • (Jeep Gathering) Fri Oct 19th Libby Hill Seafood, Mount Ariy, NC at/or about 1:00pm - 3:00pm
  • (Blue Ridge Parkway Jeep Tour) Sat Oct 20th (Blowing Rock - Asheville) 8:00am - till
  • Sat Oct 20th Points Of Light Mineral Museum, Asheville, NC 11:00am - 1:00pm
  • (Jeep Gathering) Sun Oct 21st Hardees, Boone, NC 7:00am - 8:00am
  • (Jeeps Heading Home) Mon Oct 22nd (7 States in 1 Day?) States may include but not limited to: NC,VA,TN,WV,KY,OH,PA
Note: All attending this event/trip are responsible for their own food and lodging.. Wrangler World my wife or myself can not be held responsible for any lost or stoles property while on this trip.. Some camping maybe required but not necessary. Hotels stays or camp ground reservations are up to those attending this weekend gathering.
Although our final destionation is Northern TN (aunts home) we are planing a 2 night camp over in western NC.

All Times, Dates and Destionations subject to change without notice

wants_a_jeep 10-02-2012 03:31 PM

Sounds like a good time and was intrested until I saw the days :( I'll be in WV that weekend looking at property with family. Hope you have a great time tho!

JeepWranglerNation 10-05-2012 08:17 AM

Canceled

JeepWranglerNation 10-24-2012 10:15 AM

Nope wasn't canceled.. We did the trip and hoped to have had a few tag along.. Hardees was on tap that morning thou we went to Fort Meade, after eattign we headed to Quadratec and I got my Gorilla Locking lugs.. Next we headed due west and to Cabelas.. Afterward we headed south to Peters Orchard and pick up more then our share of apples.. In all I think it was a good trip thou incounting rain most of the time.. However it wasn't over once we got back home.. Sunday morning we got up at 3:30 am and drove to OC MD just to watch the sun rise.. and of course later we drove to White Haven, Maryland and took the free ferry across the river/sound.
So HUb.. LOL all you want, I guess next time we want to go and do somethign with other Wranglerteers, I'll just have to play it by ear and post the details via Twitter..

Hubdeep 11-01-2012 02:38 PM

Wait, you drove all the way to Quadratec for locking lug nuts?

Cool. Whatever man. Everybody participates in this sport in different ways.

JeepWranglerNation 03-19-2013 08:53 AM

[QUOTE=Hubdeep;2950252]Wait, you drove all the way to Quadratec for locking lug nuts?
[QUOTE]

Yep.. got lost too.. took a wrong turn but ended up there after a few right turns.

Was a nice trip spoke with an older fellow who drove to Quad from VA beach in his old 94.. had a fishing rack on the front. Said he was fixing the jeep up to spend time with his grandson.

We also wanted to head out to Ohio.. (4wd) and do a document/photo shoot of 4wd installing the half top system. But desided not.. So 4wd will send the halftop for our 08 Wrang and I'll make the best of taking pics for a "how to" at my blog.

BiffysGecko 03-19-2013 10:46 AM

I'd love the have the time and money (and husband willing) to just pick up and go whenever I wanted to, oh I guess I would have to have someone watch the kids too and take care of the pets. But I'd love that freedom.

Glad you got out and had fun.

JeepWranglerNation 03-20-2013 08:34 AM

Biffy.. allot of time and effort goes into being able to make these trips.. and it doesnt hurt to have family around the States to camp/spend time with.. as for the money part.. well we are always thinking of ways to save/cut cost.. the frig goes bare sometimes just so we can hit the road and really one doesn't need to much green to do things.. I think it's called simple pleasures.. IE this weekend going to get up at 3 am just to head to OC Maryland, watch the sun rise sitting on the beach then head over to Del to a friends farm.. We'll check out the newly added critters (pot belly pigs, bunnies) and maybe hit some of the dusty trails.

True kids can be a hinderance.. sadly we have none. :P

BiffysGecko 03-20-2013 07:44 PM

Im sorry about the no kids, it took us a long time and many doctors and a lot of heart break so I can have some empathy. But we wont get into that, my kids are a blessing and we know that.

I can imagine a ton goes into planning and all that. Im glad you have someone to enjoy it with.

JeepWranglerNation 03-22-2013 09:00 AM

Hah.. well One thing that makes me more aware of "travel time" is when my wife sets the over night bag in the middle of the living room.. because I'm the offical trip planner.. and I see the bag there I guess it means I better have a game plan for her.. But pssst.. typically it means she is ready for a Libby Hill run.. But one thing I've learn.. the family is going to have the reunion in Beckly WV.. yes they ahve their own land.. But what I'm interested in, they are not that far awqay from the New River Gorge.. woot and that means I'll have to break out the cam and panavice for soem white knuckle trail.. and the states has lsited the trail as "state maintained" if you can belive that.. Lst tiem we were on it.. was when we had the old 99.. Looking out my drivers window.. at times theres a 50 foot drop or more.. yet my wife can hold her hand out and touch the rock face as we slowly drive through the pass.

I'll Update this psot for anyone wanting to take this trail with us this June..

littlethimble 03-28-2013 05:50 AM

I have family in White Sulphur Springs, not far from Beckley. Let me know where to go Jeeping down in that area please. We've been dying to wheel in the mountains although some of the regular roads are a challenge around there lol. I love that you can pick up and go. My ex and I used to do that in Canada. My new husband is a trucker so it's more of a challenge. But I do it on my own occasionally. I live not far from Quadratec but they aren't open on Saturdays and I work Monday through Friday. Probably a good thing I guess cause I'd probably spend all of my paycheck there every week lol. I've subscribed to this thread to read about your other adventures. I live in Lancaster, Pa if you're ever in the area on a weekend let me know. I'll go Venturing with you. I have an '01 TJ sport.

JeepWranglerNation 03-28-2013 08:40 AM

Fantastic! Little.. Again this is to be a family gathering.. However I think we can sneak away for a few hours to hit the Gorge trail.. and we do take day trips to Hanover, PA (utz factory) Lancaster, PA and points beyond. Mainly focusing on the east coast area.. Matter of fact heading to a friends farm this weekend (eastern shore MD/DE boarder)

Anyway, the state claims its a "state maintain road" but it looks like a trail to me. In some places, looking out the drivers window.. theres a 50 foot drop or more.. while on from the passanger side.. one can reach out and touch the rock face wall and we've been on it once with the ole late 99.. and even then it was a tight ride.. took us a few hours to drive. I'm surprised you haven't found this trail yet seeing its right there near where you live. Never the less hold that thought and I'll post something a few weeks before we head that way.
Also.. It's prob quicker to keep upto date via my blog page: wranglerworld.tumblr.com
Good to have you allong will keep you posted. (more trips forthcoming)

JeepWranglerNation 04-18-2013 08:44 AM

What can happen, will happen.. Seems there was a misscomunication with family memebrs.. we were all set to goto WV in June.. when the family up and decides to leave in May.. we can't do may.. so the WV trip is canceled..

As for the trip in Sept.. Wel other issues have come up.. we are turning a milestone.. 50k and that means we'll be neededing a few new things for the Jeep..

First on the list.. Shocks, then exhaust and tires.. with a few other smaller things thrown in for good measure.

But wait this doesn't mean we aren't going to take at least one long trip this year and we figured it's best that it just done spur of the moment.. Wife has been hinting that she wants seafood.. and when I see the over night bag in the living room floor.. It looks like we're goign to make a libby hill run.

I'll send the word out if and when this run will take place and we could meet up at one of the libby hills (Southern VA - Northern NC)

For complete list: Libby Hill Seafood Restaurants, Inc. -> Contact Us

JeepWranglerNation 07-13-2013 01:06 PM

Back On Track

Well now, things have just got interesting for us.. seem that my birthday, our anniversary and my wife's birthday are all coming up late Sept.. and my wife has already set the over night bag in the middle of the living room floor.. yep this means we're going somewhere..

But where?.. Well its been nearly 2 years since we've heading down to VA/NC just to get some great seafood from Libby Hill.. So I figured I'd do a tentative travel map..

I asked the wife where is it she'd like to go for our anniversary.. As it stands, were looking at stops in Western MD, then onto South Central WV for some off roading and camping, then heading down to Asheville.. and points unknown.. even campgrounds unknown..

So its not to late to rsvp our web site: Jeep Wrangler Nation..for the full list of stops.

Can't wait to get my new camera (fujifil XP60) on the trail..

JeepWranglerNation 08-07-2013 08:10 AM

Yw..

JeepWranglerNation 08-12-2013 04:18 PM

Camping, Jeep Trail and Seafood what could be better

Welp we've finally had a chance to sit down and reavaluate out travel plans.. But this time it would seem we actually have two other jeepers that want us to keep them posted about our travels and tag along.

So this is your two week warning:

RSVP this thread if you have the time (3-5 days) max camping required and we can't be held responsable for any lost or damaged items while your traveling along with us.

We're looking at leaving Baltimore early Fri morn (Aug 23rd) and head due west.. Meet time is 5:00am - 6:00am at the I-70 park and ride.. (we will depart at 6:00am on the dot.. so all straglers can catch up while we are in Frederick Md.

Afterward.. Once there, (Frederick, MD Roy Rogers) we'll hand out maps of our travel plans to those wanting to take the 3 day or the alternate 5 day trek.

This is sort of fly by the seat of our pants or making this up as we go along.. I guess cause we know where were going and its up to you to follow along or take your own path.