Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   should i go auto or 5 speed ? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/should-i-go-auto-or-5-speed-19045.html)

JeeperCreeper04 06-05-2008 06:09 PM

should i go auto or 5 speed ?

looking to buy a tj i came across a 04 wrangler 4.0 with 37k but its auto ?
its going for $6000 but i trying to get it for $5000
whats a better buy a auto or a 5 speed ?

Unlimited 06-05-2008 06:16 PM

If you can buy an '04 with 37k miles for $6,000, jump on it NOW. Better yet, give me the guy's number and I'll buy it.

Auto vs Manual is mostly personal preference. Mine's an auto, makes rock crawling a whole lot easier. Others will argue that manuals are better.

Jerry Bransford 06-05-2008 06:31 PM

It it were me, I'd go for the automatic if you plan to wheel really tough trails where an automatic really shines.

1BLKJP 06-05-2008 06:39 PM

I roll auto style also. Like Unlimited said it's all personal preference. But sitting at the bottom of a vertical waterfall it's hard to smoke the clutch on an auto. :D

sailsurf7713 06-05-2008 07:56 PM

As mentioned an automatic will shine in really tough offroad situations. In my opinion as I've owned both an auto truck and my current Jeep is manual, the manual if far better to drive. Its really just that much more fun to downshift in the back roads and get on the gas, even if its a 4 banger Jeep.

Your call man, its a killer deal. For that money I'd say its well worth it. Check the carfax for sure. You don't want to end up with a salvage title or flood title or anything that's gonna give you a bunch of problems in the future.

Dare2BSquare 06-05-2008 08:00 PM

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. That deal sounds too good to be true. Check it backwards and forwards. Make sure you know what you are getting.

rthdtj 06-05-2008 08:08 PM

Please post that # for that $6,000. Jeep I'll take it...!

jpdocdave 06-05-2008 08:29 PM

i refer the trans discussion to my sig.:D

debruins 06-05-2008 10:41 PM

i love my stick b/c it gives me so much control and make me feel happy when i use it correctly. There's nothing like the feeling u get from ur stick when ur using it just correctly and get that nice rumble from beneath you as u knock it in and out of...........

oh wait we're talking about transmissions, i guess i got a little carried away

j/k
i love my manual though!

JeeperCreeper04 06-05-2008 11:53 PM

thanks for your help i gonna buy it ? i t does have salvage title but i checked it out it looks and runs good no leaks no frame damage no check engine light , i car fax it and it was salvage when it had 4K miles so it was a brand new car when it happen so the insurance thought it was cheaper to just salvage it and i dont plan on selling it so the title dont really matter to me i know these jeeps go for about $15-17k so i would be getting it for more than half the price and I'll probaly wind up salvaging it my self the way Im gonna use it !

Dare2BSquare 06-06-2008 12:12 AM

Drive it like you stole it.

bpowa 06-06-2008 04:43 AM

most important.. pics!!!!

nicolas-eric 06-06-2008 06:40 PM

all the other experienced offroaders in my jeep club donīt like that i (a newbie) can do more with my Tj than they can do.
the things that are already difficult with a manual tranny are very easy with an auto tranny.

TLF 06-07-2008 02:47 AM

I love my 5 speed. I am of the mindset that if its a Jeep then the only way they should be made is in a manual tho I do understand that there are situations where that will just not work. I have a friend that just got rid of his TJ because he has another kiddo on the way and cant fit 2 babby seats in the back of it and went to a new 4 door JK in an auto so his wife can drive it. I was giving him some hell about it but one thing he said is with the 33s he has on it that it was actually worked better on the highway then the 5 speed did.... Like others have said, go with what you are comfortable with and what you want, for me its all about the manual tranny!

brownie65 06-07-2008 07:16 PM

When I got mine I was looking for a automatic. Drove a auto & a stick. Liked the stick much better so thats what I got. Can't go wrong with either one though. My son is 15 & he wanted the stick. He is excited about learning to drive it. I think you got a steal on the jeep. Even with the salvage title, I think it is a great deal. I know I would have jumped on it.

Triple88a 06-07-2008 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1BLKJP (Post 235201)
But sitting at the bottom of a vertical waterfall it's hard to smoke the clutch on an auto. :D

Its hard to smoke the clutch on a manual too :flipoff:

The main reason why i got the 5 speed was because it was either a 5 speed stick or a 3 speed auto. Tjs in my area are expensive so i could not afford the 4 speed.

Jerry Bransford 06-08-2008 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple88a (Post 235707)
Its hard to smoke the clutch on a manual too :flipoff:

Not at all. :flipoff:

Triple88a 06-08-2008 11:09 AM

but he wasnt sitting at the bottom of the waterfall he was on the way up.

2much 06-08-2008 01:46 PM

I'm all about the manual as well, I'm sure autos are better in the rocks and tough trails and all that........ BUT a jeep is supposed to be a fun vehicle, imo, stick is alot more fun to drive then a slushbox, I know I would be kicking myself in the rear everyday.... its all up to what you prefer. but that is a steal on that jeep.