Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Texas Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f53/)
-   -   DFW Guys, need some help (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f53/dfw-guys-need-some-help-190477.html)

ryanmalzac1 10-01-2012 12:07 PM

DFW Guys, need some help

Im need to replace my ball joints and have already bought the parts. I got a quote from some mobile mechanics and it was going to end up costing me around 3-400$ to get them installed so i was thinking of trying to tackle this myself. It seemed pretty straight forward when i first looked into it but now im wondering if its too much for me to handle. Im no mechanic , only basics. I was wondering if anyone has some suggestions either a good cheap mechanic in the area or if you've done this, how hard was it? Or , if you really wanna help, you could come help me do it.. i'll buy the beer. Anyways, any response would be helpful, thanks

delalto23 10-09-2012 11:40 AM

Replacing ball joints isn't that hard. It's a little time consuming but pretty simple. Since you said you're no big mechanic I'm sure you don't have all the tools you need to simplify the job. You can go to an autozone and ask what tools you need to replace the joints and when they tell you, you can just get what you don't have. Like I said its not hard just a little time consuming and a few beers lol. What kind of jeep is it and where do you live?

50 Something 10-09-2012 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanmalzac1 (Post 2848837)
Im need to replace my ball joints and have already bought the parts. I got a quote from some mobile mechanics and it was going to end up costing me around 3-400$ to get them installed so i was thinking of trying to tackle this myself. It seemed pretty straight forward when i first looked into it but now im wondering if its too much for me to handle. Im no mechanic , only basics. I was wondering if anyone has some suggestions either a good cheap mechanic in the area or if you've done this, how hard was it? Or , if you really wanna help, you could come help me do it.. i'll buy the beer. Anyways, any response would be helpful, thanks

I've turned a wrench or two over the years. I'll help you with that if you help me with my top and other mods that I need 4 hands instead of 2. I'm in NRH where are you?

50 Something

ryanmalzac1 10-10-2012 08:06 AM

Im in Irving, and thanks for yall's response but i got some good news yesterday, I took it to another shop JUST to make sure it was the ball joints like the first place told me and turns out, it wasnt. The first shop was just tryin to rip me off, of course. SO im just getting an alignment. But 50 something, if you need help with something id be glad to help if i have the time. what mads are you trying to do?

50 Something 10-10-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanmalzac1 (Post 2876500)
Im in Irving, and thanks for yall's response but i got some good news yesterday, I took it to another shop JUST to make sure it was the ball joints like the first place told me and turns out, it wasnt. The first shop was just tryin to rip me off, of course. SO im just getting an alignment. But 50 something, if you need help with something id be glad to help if i have the time. what mads are you trying to do?

I suppose the hardest would be the Bestop Trek Top NX. Also an Aries Brush Guard and my CB unit.

50 Something

ryanmalzac1 10-11-2012 07:42 AM

well if you've got a garage and some tools im good at lending a hand and I always enjoy learning from someone who knows what they're doing. I found out my tie rod and ends need to be replaced so im gonna be getting those parts soon , maybe we could meet up and make an afternoon out of it. I'm busy this weekend and the next but anytime after that I would prob be available. keep in touch and we'll figure it out

50 Something 10-11-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanmalzac1 (Post 2879892)
well if you've got a garage and some tools im good at lending a hand and I always enjoy learning from someone who knows what they're doing. I found out my tie rod and ends need to be replaced so im gonna be getting those parts soon , maybe we could meet up and make an afternoon out of it. I'm busy this weekend and the next but anytime after that I would prob be available. keep in touch and we'll figure it out

Yeah, sounds good. I have so many tools I forgot I had some of them. I was trying to remove my doors and I used a very large straight blade screw driver with a shop towl on it so I didn't scratch anything. I was looking for something in one of my boxes for another project and low and behold I had a #50 Torx sitting right there. (DAH!)

Thanks,

50 Something

ryanmalzac1 10-12-2012 08:39 AM

Ha, nice, well i'll let you know when i have some time and see what we can do

50 Something 10-26-2012 07:59 PM

:popcorn:
Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanmalzac1 (Post 2883235)
Ha, nice, well i'll let you know when i have some time and see what we can do