Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Does anyone still fold the windshield down? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/does-anyone-still-fold-the-windshield-down-190568.html)

DeepSouthJeeper 10-01-2012 07:01 PM

Does anyone still fold the windshield down?

It looks like it would be fun,especially on a trail, but I never see anyone do it.

dabolt55 10-01-2012 07:05 PM

Check the search thread on the Tj forum. I heard someone does that pretty often.

tallzdatank 10-01-2012 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepSouthJeeper
It looks like it would be fun,especially on a trail, but I never see anyone do it.

on my yj I did, it was a blast especially the looks I'd get at work in the winter when I'd show up in a blizzard. haven't done it on my TJ as I still like the interior and haven't gotten around to waterproofing it yet. so for now its top up doors on and windshield in the upright and locked position.

kev58896 10-01-2012 10:32 PM

I plan on doing it AFTER I get a full cage installed. This is why:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...9/8e371e22.jpg

The windshield and its support bars were holding most of the weight of the jeep when I crawled out of it. I was dumb, and wasn't buckled, so I cringe to think of what could have happened without the windshield and soft top on. It seemed like the windshield crushed in towards me in slow motion. Granted, windshields somehow aren't required here in Nevada, so I drove it like this for the next three weeks while I waited for my new windshield frame to come:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...9/e50415f0.jpg

It did get a lotta looks lol, but sucked during rain/sleet storms. So for me, no folding the windshield down until I get a full cage installed.

Wesboy 10-01-2012 10:32 PM

I've tried it but didn't enjoy it at all.

I imagine it would be beneficial when rock-crawling, hunting, or in a parade.
And if you need to pack your jeep in a DC-3 or glider (or hide from the Luftwaffe).

DeepSouthJeeper 10-01-2012 10:41 PM

Well my grandpa owns a hunting camp 2 hours away. I was thinking next time I'm wheeling over there or camping or anything really, I could just fold it over with just a tools, and then when's it's time to leave I could just put it back up.

kylekae 10-01-2012 11:10 PM

Do it. Its fun. Just were glasses when on the road.

Sccrbrg 10-02-2012 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepSouthJeeper
Well my grandpa owns a hunting camp 2 hours away. I was thinking next time I'm wheeling over there or camping or anything really, I could just fold it over with just a tools, and then when's it's time to leave I could just put it back up.

assuming that yours isnt painted shut like every torx bolt on my jeep. Have to strip the dam things to get them out.

Wesboy 10-02-2012 05:06 AM

It's been a while since I've seen stock windshield hinges on a TJ but from memory the bolts you pull to lay the windshield down aren't painted.
Also need to remove the side 'roll bars' (above the doors) that connect from the windshield frame to the centre 'roll bar'.
And remove the wipers.
Not sure on this but some places may still require you to have a centre mirror (?) - ie sticking up from the dash.

DeepSouthJeeper 10-02-2012 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wesboy
It's been a while since I've seen stock windshield hinges on a TJ but from memory the bolts you pull to lay the windshield down aren't painted.
Also need to remove the side 'roll bars' (above the doors) that connect from the windshield frame to the centre 'roll bar'.
And remove the wipers.
Not sure on this but some places may still require you to have a centre mirror (?) - ie sticking up from the dash.

Ok thanks. I hope Louisiana doesn't require it.

97flexy 10-02-2012 07:27 AM

I would have a full cage in your jeep before doing that... you need some sort of protection.

DeepSouthJeeper 10-02-2012 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97flexy
I would have a full cage in your jeep before doing that... you need some sort of protection.

I'm not worried about flipping, down where I wheel it's very flat, even for Louisiana. The grounds uneven but not enough to flip someone. When I have the time to do some more serious offroading I'll look into some cages.

Mark b 10-02-2012 07:55 AM

I put the windshield on my '48 down all the time. It's really easy, 2 quick release clamps and a strap.

But, the TJ's are such a PITA it's just not worth it. To be honest I'm not sure why that is still an option, especially on the JK's.

Zurn 10-02-2012 08:43 AM

I have had 4 CJs and Wranglers. I only did this on my 80 CJ7 a few times. But, like mentioned before, it had a full cage.

Rolf 10-02-2012 09:02 AM

I don't, I hate bugs in my teeth :p

Jerry Bransford 10-02-2012 09:18 AM

I took my TJ's down once and it was just too much of a PITA and time consuming to do so. Not to mention that with the TJ's factory rollcage, lowering the windshield removes its front support system.

SEAICE 10-02-2012 09:33 AM

When I had CJs... All the time. With the TJ, less often, but I still love to take the doors off, the window frames, the roll bar extensions and drop the windshield. This is the way travel should be... out in the air, not in a hermetically-sealed container!

97flexy 10-03-2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepSouthJeeper (Post 2852451)
I'm not worried about flipping, down where I wheel it's very flat, even for Louisiana. The grounds uneven but not enough to flip someone. When I have the time to do some more serious offroading I'll look into some cages.

You never know when a semi is going to not see you drive'n down the highway and cause you to swerve and end up rolling your jeep down the highway. like I said without a roll cage I think it's a bad Idea. I've seen too many stock jeep roll bars fold up like they weren't even there.

DeepSouthJeeper 10-03-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97flexy

You never know when a semi is going to not see you drive'n down the highway and cause you to swerve and end up rolling your jeep down the highway. like I said without a roll cage I think it's a bad Idea. I've seen too many stock jeep roll bars fold up like they weren't even there.

I'm not really talking about driving on road with it down, just off road.

Riptide63 10-03-2012 06:25 PM

I drove around the block once with the windshield down on my first Jeep... an 81 CJ7 I had back in the 80's. Never had any inclination to do it again with the CJ, let alone go through the PITA of getting everything lined back up properly on a TJ.

Goobs63 10-03-2012 07:17 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I did on my 98 not sure why I know I was the first I suppose it took me about 15 min the first time. I was not too impressed with the look.

Blind Dog 10-03-2012 07:54 PM

Nope. Too big of a PITA. Don't see any good reason to ever have it down.

Wesboy 10-04-2012 06:17 AM

I'll never be doing it again but I think everyone needs to try it once. :D

Blind Dog 10-04-2012 07:59 AM

I tried it once when I was replacing my rusted out windshield frame. All the torx screws were painted in and most of them stripped at the head in spite of striking them and using the old trick of dipping my torx bit in valve grinding compound for a better grip and tighter fit, so I drilled the heads off and replaced them with flat-head stainless screws.
Also the windshield lights, wipers, and front sections of the roll bar had to come off. I'll pass. Don't like getting hit in the face with bugs anyway.

in2jeep 10-04-2012 11:04 AM

Might be cool to do at a drive-in movie! Looks better with a full cage.

Moose-Island 10-04-2012 12:03 PM

The third picture of the red 98 convinced me never to try it - it just looks awkward !

Goobs63 10-04-2012 12:33 PM

Yeah I will probably never do that again however I did find a couple pens and other random crud in there.

Sherpa 10-04-2012 03:10 PM

My only two times were when I had my cage built and then again when I had it painted.

http://dempseybowling.com/cars/98sport/cage02p.jpg

http://dempseybowling.com/cars/98sport/cage03p.jpg

http://dempseybowling.com/cars/98sport/cage06p.jpg

Other than that, the windshield stays put.

DeepSouthJeeper 10-04-2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherpa
My only two times were when I had my cage built and then again when I had it painted.

Other than that, the windshield stays put.

I'm loving the cage man, who built it?

Sherpa 10-04-2012 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepSouthJeeper (Post 2861666)
I'm loving the cage man, who built it?

A local fabricator friend did it for me. He has built similar cages in dozens of other TJs (he used to own his own 4x4 shop, in fact). He doesn't use anyone's kit; he just buys lots of DOM tubing and starts bending. :thumb:

I'm very pleased with it.