Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Jeep theft (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/jeep-theft-190775.html)

Randens Rubi 10-02-2012 04:47 PM

Jeep theft

So I just took the hardtop off my 2006 LJ Rubicon. Think it's a bad idea? How easy are these to Hotwire and drive off with. Guess I don't exactly have car thief knowledge so maybe you guys can help me out. I stripped it of anything valuable of course. Think I'm going to install a kill switch. Any other advice would be appreciated.

Randens Rubi 10-02-2012 04:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh and here's a pic. :)

fyreftr1965 10-02-2012 04:51 PM

I pull the coil wire and lock it up if left unattended for a long period

bwpilot20 10-02-2012 05:25 PM

My super duty was stolen from a car port just like that one. Your neighbors will watch your habits and one day it'll be gone. Just get it fully insured and don't look too hard if it does get stolen. My truck was found 3 days later at a movie theater an had been stripped... Never was the same after that.

DeepSouthJeeper 10-02-2012 05:47 PM

Man the doors are still on, looks like they're next. :D I can't imagine the kind of jack@$$ that would steal someone's car. Low life price of...

4x4cop 10-02-2012 05:54 PM

There are some real pos in this world. Just had a fellow officer that went to his local wal mart to shop. Had his doors and top off. Came out to find some piece of crap in his driver seat going through his things. Needless to say the young man had a gun to his head and a badge in his face. Still fought like crazy and took off running once he was cuffed!!!

thewampus97tj 10-02-2012 06:05 PM

So this brings up a good topic. I have alot invested in my jeep (money time and love) and I want some kind of security system or some way of keep people out of my jeep. What is everyone doing to prevent your jeep getting stolen or stuff stolen out of it?

4x4cop 10-02-2012 06:07 PM

Trunk monkey! Lol, not sure here. Even if the doors are on, all they have to do is unzip the side or rear windows on my soft top.

Blsport7 10-02-2012 06:15 PM

I have a alarm system that the PO has installed, it works better for actual theft of the vehicle because it will not start with the alarm on. As far as B&E, it is good to a point if you had a hard top, but soft top comes off without tripping alarm. But all in all is better then nothing. Just don't keep valuables in ur jeep, or in any car for that matter. If they want it they will get it.

johnpmcelroy 10-02-2012 06:18 PM

Lo Jack it !

Jeembro 10-02-2012 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blsport7
I have a alarm system that the PO has installed, it works better for actual theft of the vehicle because it will not start with the alarm on. As far as B&E, it is good to a point if you had a hard top, but soft top comes off without tripping alarm. But all in all is better then nothing. Just don't keep valuables in ur jeep, or in any car for that matter. If they want it they will get it.

How complicated is the alarm? And do you know approximately how much it was? I think I could get my insurance down with an alarm installed

Neil F. 10-02-2012 06:42 PM

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/add-...lp-113000.html

Blsport7 10-02-2012 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeembro

How complicated is the alarm? And do you know approximately how much it was? I think I could get my insurance down with an alarm installed

I'm not quite sure on the specs of it because the PO had it put on, mine is probably a more complicated one because it is also combined with a remote start, but just and alarm can probably be installed for about 300? But that's just number I'm throwing out, best bet would to call a few places and get quotes on packages

Blsport7 10-02-2012 06:47 PM

Sorry for typos, my iPhone likes to think its smarter than me and changes my words.

TanYJ 10-02-2012 06:48 PM

I think the kill switch is a good idea too as far as them not driving off in it.

Blsport7 10-02-2012 06:53 PM

Oh and another thing I like about the alarm is, if I'm in the store or away from the jeep and the alarm goes off, the remote has an alert on it as well. Just another benefit.

SeVeReDiStOrTiOn 10-02-2012 10:19 PM

This is the only thing that will keep your jeep from being stolen. Ravelco Anti Theft Device

You can make it less desirable by stripping off the Rubicon lettering. If you ever sell it you can buy new stickers and put them on. With full doors a motion sensing alarm will help keep the looters out.

97wrangler-242 10-02-2012 11:00 PM

Manuals are a theft deterrent. Only 20% of the US population can drive one. Some things you can do is like a battery or coil kill switch or grab something like the fuel pump relay when you leave it somewhere

TJspeed 10-02-2012 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97wrangler-242
Manuals are a theft deterrent. Only 20% of the US population can drive one. Some things you can do is like a battery or coil kill switch or grab something like the fuel pump relay when you leave it somewhere

I had a kill switch idea. But couldn't think of how to make it fully work.

Zurn 10-02-2012 11:29 PM

My Jeep looks like a worn out old shoe. But under it's aged exterior it only has 60k on the clock.

Randens Rubi 10-03-2012 12:09 AM

Thank you for the great ideas everyone. Will be installing a kill switch very soon. When I have the money to spend on a theft deterrent system you can bet it will be Ravelco. $500 is a bit high for me at this time but hopefully soon. Thanks again. I'll keep you updated. :)

bmpage84 10-03-2012 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97wrangler-242 (Post 2855631)

X2! True!

I can't believe how many people don't know how to drive a stick anymore!

Also, whenever I have to leave my Jeep in a parking area for an extended period I routinely pop my 4WD into neutral then set the parking brake. At least it'll baffle the a$$wipe looking to take it for a joy ride when the thing won't move after they get it started!:confused:

Sccafire 10-03-2012 12:51 AM

Well, my opinion here. Save your money if a thief wants it bad enought they will get passed what ever you put on it.

bmpage84 10-03-2012 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sccafire (Post 2856005)
Well, my opinion here. Save your money if a thief wants it bad enought they will get passed what ever you put on it.

100% TRUE !! If they want it that bad they WILL take it.

The most you can hope for is to slow them down, hope the get discouraged, and say screw it.
I've taken several stolen vehicle reports where the only thing left behind was scuff marks on the pavement where the car was dragged onto a ramp truck. Just recently we had a local construction company loose a BobCat right off the construction site that way. The thing had Lo-Jack in it but was never recovered. Problem I've found with Lo-Jack is, installers tend to put the transmission units in the same spots in the same makes & models. Since it's been around for a while, thieves have figured this out and can easily disable the units soon after taking the vehicle. As I'm sure was the case with the BobCat.:cool:

Wattapunk 10-03-2012 06:46 AM

Don't ever leave valuables in the jeep but get a good alarm as a deterrent. I have a code alarm with shock sensor, ign kill , hood/trunk sensors and an interior sensor that is set to go off if someone is in the seats. On top of that it's a 5 speed and 2.5L so theives can struggle driving a stick and get away very slowly.:)

AVtj03 10-03-2012 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thewampus97tj (Post 2854368)
So this brings up a good topic. I have alot invested in my jeep (money time and love) and I want some kind of security system or some way of keep people out of my jeep. What is everyone doing to prevent your jeep getting stolen or stuff stolen out of it?

I don't have enough time to look for it this second, but there is a schematic for a circuit that interrupts your ignition and fuel circuit until you wave a magnet in front of a reed switch prior to starting the vehicle. You can put the reed switch wherever you like.

I love it and its cheap (less than 30?). just have to do some minor soldering

AVtj03 10-03-2012 07:12 AM

found it....

Updated TJ Theft Protection ADE/ADE-II w/Light Chaos - JeepsUnlimited.com Forums

Ebxgsxr 10-03-2012 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sccafire (Post 2856005)

i agree with that too.

best thing to do is not leave anything valuable in the jeep. alarm systems keep the honest people honest, imo. i had a remote start on my last TJ & had the installer put a hidden kill switch in for me (in case i was leaving the jeep for a longer period of time).

D2K47 10-03-2012 08:34 AM

Just had a pos look through my whole car like the center console and glove box in search for something...didn't take anything, the most valuable thing I had in there was probably my multi tool, my jeep was sleeping in the driveway and this happened at 4 am Monday, I live in a very good neighborhood In Chicago(I have about 6 cpd cops living in a one block radius) but my top was open, I usually leave it open but now not so much;/...good thing they were amateurs , if you want to know full details pm me

CTX-Ross 10-03-2012 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wattapunk
Don't ever leave valuables in the jeep but get a good alarm as a deterrent. I have a code alarm with shock sensor, ign kill , hood/trunk sensors and an interior sensor that is set to go off if someone is in the seats. On top of that it's a 5 speed and 2.5L so theives can struggle driving a stick and get away very slowly.:)

Who makes the alarm?