Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Painting exhaust muffler / Undercarraige care (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/painting-exhaust-muffler-undercarraige-care-191501.html)

NWranglerS 10-05-2012 11:07 AM

Painting exhaust muffler / Undercarraige care

Has anyone painted their exhaust muffler black? I have seen numerous jeeps that have surface rust on their mufflers that is very noticeable from the back. I believe I have seen some posts on people painting it black with some sort of high temp spray, and I imagine it would look nice and clean if sprayed black.

Also with winter approaching, does anyone spray coat their jeeps undercarriage with anything that will protect it from all the salt on the road? Again I have seen posts on this but can't seem to find them right now. Maybe because I'm on my phone..

Thanks

HRR1 10-05-2012 11:19 AM

Spay can of black BBQ paint does the job. I painted the muffler on my 07 Miata . It worked great. I think I got it Home depot.

NWranglerS 10-05-2012 01:56 PM

Okay thanks, I will see if I can pick some up at home depot

adb1723 10-05-2012 02:30 PM

yeah rustoleum bbq paint is what i used on my wrangler, 6 bucks and your all set.

Smitty14 10-05-2012 02:58 PM

Do you suggest covering anything up first or just close your eyes and spray.
Assuming that you are under the jeep while doing this.

NWranglerS 10-05-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adb1723 (Post 2864059)
yeah rustoleum bbq paint is what i used on my wrangler, 6 bucks and your all set.

Awesome thanks

Incognito 10-05-2012 03:50 PM

Initially I tried BBQ paint on mine, but found that after a few months it was coming off plus it became dirty and wouldn't clean up. I then purchased some gloss black engine enamel paint rated at like 1500, removed the muffler (very easy to do), scuffed it up, hung it and painted it. More involved but the finish has lasted considerably better.

1Topp 10-05-2012 05:13 PM

Heat treated Brown.........

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7042/7...94b4c73c93.jpg

JVL 10-05-2012 06:55 PM

Hi temp bbq paint. Wipe that ugly ass muffler down and let the paint fly. Looks so much better. It used to drive me crazy lookin at that thing. Now its like it is not even there.

NWranglerS 10-09-2012 01:05 PM

Went to Home Depot today. I didn't see any specific grill spray but this stuff looks like it will be fine. They had another engine spray that was rated at 500 degrees but it had a more gloss finish. I prefer a matte black finish to keep the attention away from the exhaust and just black it out.

I think I will try to scuff the muffler up a bit with some finer grit sand paper so the spray takes to it better. I will post pics of when I get it done maybe tomorrow if its nice out.

Here's the spray:

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q...s26/kjsdgf.jpg

JKUCRUSHMIKE 10-09-2012 01:30 PM

How does the heat treated brown sound and what is it?

LOWLYF 10-09-2012 02:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Painted mine yesterday. It was surprisingly clean so I just wiped it with alcohol and sprayed flat black 1600 paint I got at Auto Zone.

The 2nd coat was still wet so it doesn't appear as flat as when it dried but I rushed the pic cause I was losing light.

NWranglerS 10-09-2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOWLYF
Painted mine yesterday. It was surprisingly clean so I just wiped it with alcohol and sprayed flat black 1600 paint I got at Auto Zone.

The 2nd coat was still wet so it doesn't appear as flat as when it dried but I rushed the pic cause I was losing light.

Wow, looks a million times better. Nicely done. So you just cleaned the surface? Did you rough it up at all?

LOWLYF 10-09-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWranglerS (Post 2874332)
Wow, looks a million times better. Nicely done. So you just cleaned the surface? Did you rough it up at all?

Just cleaned it with alcohol and a rag. No sanding. The Jeep is pretty new so the muffler is too. Since I just did it yesterday I obviously can't tell you how it holds up in time. It's only a $7 mod so if the paint peels then I'll just sand and repaint.

kramer2k 10-09-2012 03:41 PM

That looks great LOWLYF!

I just added some high temp flat paint to my HD shopping list for today. Did you just tape some paper to protect the surrounding areas and spray away?

LOWLYF 10-09-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer2k (Post 2874385)
That looks great LOWLYF!

I just added some high temp flat paint to my HD shopping list for today. Did you just tape some paper to protect the surrounding areas and spray away?

Thanks!
I planned to tape some items but with the light wind conditions I opted to just spray and pray. I went slow and it ended up being a very clean job with no overspray on anything. If I were to do it again I'd probably at least hang a rag over the shocks to be safe.

NFRs2000NYC 10-09-2012 03:48 PM

I painted my exhaust with VHT header paint. Love the matte finish and it has ceramic in it which is supposed to make it durable. Seems to be holding up pretty well. Looks 100% better.

4cylToy 10-09-2012 03:54 PM

What about the frame? I've tried the rustoleum exterior paint and it was decent but started to chip off pretty bad within a year. What does everyone else use? And can i just spray it over existing rust? The coil housings and certain parts of the frame are too hard to try and sand/treat rusted areas.

johnnyjellybean 10-09-2012 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4cylToy (Post 2874429)
What about the frame? I've tried the rustoleum exterior paint and it was decent but started to chip off pretty bad within a year. What does everyone else use? And can i just spray it over existing rust? The coil housings and certain parts of the frame are too hard to try and sand/treat rusted areas.

POR 15 is supposed to be great over rust. I sprayed my whole undercarriage with Eureka Fluid Film.

kramer2k 10-09-2012 06:51 PM

This thread inspired me today.

The before shot with the fugly silver monster poking its head from under the Jeep.

http://i.imgur.com/3Q55A.jpg

And the after. The muffler just disappears now. :cool:

http://i.imgur.com/cF8UI.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/5sCzr.jpg

Skalve85 10-09-2012 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyjellybean

POR 15 is supposed to be great over rust. I sprayed my whole undercarriage with Eureka Fluid Film.

That's what I did as well it's hard to believe how many people have never heard of this stuff. I love it and used it on my jet ski mainly.

NWranglerS 10-09-2012 08:40 PM

[QUOTE=kramer2k;2874979]This thread inspired me today.

The before shot with the fugly silver monster poking its head from under the Jeep.

Came out real nice Kramer, that looks like the same spray I picked up today. How many coats did you put on? Any prep work on the muffler before spraying? Did you tape things up, or did you just aim and spray?

Thanks

kramer2k 10-09-2012 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWranglerS (Post 2875380)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer2k (Post 2874979)

Came out real nice Kramer, that looks like the same spray I picked up today. How many coats did you put on? Any prep work on the muffler before spraying? Did you tape things up, or did you just aim and spray?

Thanks

Thanks NWS. ;)

I put on 2 coats. Honestly one looked adequate, but I wanted to be sure. This paint provided very good coverage. My Jeep is only 10 days old, so the muffler hasn't seen much duty. I wiped it clean with a damp rag and scuffed it up very quickly with a piece of sandpaper. That was probably overkill with the sandpaper.

I fed a swath of painting drop cloth over the top of the muffler and taped it to the rear tires to protect the surrounding components. I wanted to be able to apply the paint liberally and without worry so I took some extra time to protect the area.

RB-10rubicon 10-09-2012 08:59 PM

Looks great black

DuRsT 10-09-2012 09:07 PM

Looks much better guys, have seen a few like this and it does look better.

While kicking around the idea of what I wanted to do with mine, I started thinking that the muffler that is there is pretty large and I could likely replace it with an air tank instead.....decisions, decisions.

LOWLYF 10-09-2012 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer2k

And the after. The muffler just disappears now. :cool:

Looks great Kramer!

ChaseRedJK 10-09-2012 10:03 PM

BBQ Grill Paint

http://i46.tinypic.com/2evsz7b.jpg

BADBREW 10-09-2012 10:22 PM

Kramer2k, Nice job...Looks Great! Now inspired by all! Dang! My "To Do" list just keeps getting longer since I drove it home from the dealer last week!

SMLoo 10-09-2012 10:40 PM

I did my a few days ago (before reading this thread). I was told I am crazy. It is obvious that I am not the only one!

Jerkbait 10-09-2012 11:00 PM

I'll be doing this as well. Looks clean