Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   Using new jeep to tow an old one (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/using-new-jeep-to-tow-an-old-one-191645.html)

Cpwines18 10-06-2012 10:23 AM

Using new jeep to tow an old one

I have an '11 JKU Rubi and a '48 Willys cj2a. I'm moving and I need to figure out best way to tow one with the other. It is a long distance, so I want to use a trailer to minimize wear on the cj. I was hoping someone here has done this. Any recommendations on what kind of trailer out there would work? Single vs tandem. Aluminum, wood, or steel. Size. Maybe a custom made with specs.

00tj2 10-06-2012 01:20 PM

U-haul?

Atomic Decals Owner 10-06-2012 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00tj2
u-haul?

x2

Cpwines18 10-07-2012 04:46 PM

Uhaul car trailer was my first thought, but they overbuild them for extra safety and requires the tow vehicle to have at least 5000# tow capacity. Need something lightweight. All the trailers ive found that are built to haul cars are way too big and heavy for my purpose.

whyteYJeep 10-08-2012 10:32 PM

find a double axle steel frame with wood floor. just make sure the wood is good and there is steel bracing under the wood from side to side. i have towed this set up with my yj(didnt have a cj on it) but it had a car on it and it did fine. not as much weight and does a good job.

XJ Knight 10-08-2012 10:40 PM

What ever you do keep it under what ever your rated to tow. Presuming since your talking about towing a light vehlicle you have either 3.73 or 4.10 gearing and not 3.21

Juancho 10-08-2012 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kthrash (Post 2733253)

:punk:

Cpwines18 10-10-2012 01:50 AM

Whytey, that's what I'm leaning towards now. All the car haulers were overkill(48 cj is tiny compared to most new cars), which is why I wanted to ask more knowledgeable people what they used. I found a tandem 6x12 utility trailer that looks like it will work. I was considering going single to cut weight, but it has its own set of problems. Aluminum trailers are several times cost. I guess since I'm going tandem, now I need to change out my four pin tow wiring with the 7pin and get an electric brake controller... One thing after another, but then again that's why I bought the toy to begin with

02tj-clayton 10-15-2012 10:50 AM

Uhall does not like jeeps to pull their trailers. id say throw a tow bar on to it and tow it like an rv tows a secondary travel vehical

Cpwines18 01-07-2013 11:10 PM

Wanted to follow up with my post in case anyone else ever comes up on this problem, here is what I settled on: I had a metal frame/wood floor 5x12' car hauler type trailer custom built. It is a little beefier than a utility trailer. I went tandem axle, with electric brakes on one axle(req'd by most states). I'll post empty and loaded pic of the trailer once I figure out how to do that on here. I will say the 5' wide trailer left me with absolutely no wiggle room(I didn't account for the lockers on the front wheels...), so I would recommend 5'6" wide x 12' to anyone else. It is only 1000# empty weight due to the small size which is what I was aiming for. I've done my first long roadtrip of 2k miles, and worked well once I actually got it loaded. To properly balance the weight I have to drive it on backwards, and with no wiggle room side to side, loading it can be... fun. Hope this helps someone in the future.

Cpwines18 01-07-2013 11:14 PM

Also, if you get rails, do the tube vice angle rails. Not for the strength aspect, but because the edges of the angle rails frayed my straps.