Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   CJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f298/)
-   -   Windshield removal? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f298/windshield-removal-191660.html)

CJ-John 10-06-2012 11:31 AM

Windshield removal?

I'm having my windshield frame blasted and painted and need to remove the glass. Which direction does the windshield come out? I looked for the lock in the seal and didn't see it. I have to pay the paint shop for something i can do. or should I just cut the seal and buy a new one? Thanks, John

Cj7otr 10-07-2012 07:55 PM

Not sure how it comes out? But, I know my body shop (jeep guy) highly recommended a new windshield gasket/seal because evidently its prone to rust. My jeep had very little rust on it, but when he took the windshield out I was shocked at how much rust was in there. Now is the time to find it.

CJ-John 10-16-2012 04:28 AM

Thanks, yes I cut the seal and ordered a new one. the PO had replaced the frame at some point and never painted it so I had it sandblasted then painted as i will drive it a little this winter.

Valkster 12-13-2012 08:18 PM

I am sure you have already done this based upon your post date but it comes out forward after cutting the seal. My frame was pitted through in a few places along the bottom of the frame from gathered moisture but welded up ok after sandblasting.

div4gold 12-13-2012 08:41 PM

A lot of frames are black and would be easy for a powder coater to do. That should last longer than the rest of the jeep and have a better chance of not rusting. As far as cost goes I had 5 of the original 3B wheels sandblasted and powder coated for $126. You would have had to have seen the rusty wheels to believe they were the same ones after coating. I should have take pictures.

aelwero 12-14-2012 12:43 AM

it's much easier to install a new one than reuse the old one anyway, enough so to make it worth the expense easily :)

Valkster 12-14-2012 07:41 PM

Be careful with repro frames though...read about aweful issues with wiper binding on some brands, apparently the holes are off or the material is "thinned" enough to cause wiper linkage issues. I chose to fix my little bit of rust because of those posts on other sites. I am sure they aren't all that way or no one would buy them, tho.

CJ-John 12-17-2012 08:15 AM

Thanks, everyone yes I have things done as I'm in the northeast and this has to be my daily driver right now. I cut the original seal out had the frame blaster and painted the reinstalled the original glass. I ended up paying a installer for that. He used a rope which I have seen but he used a cord the size of lawn mower starter rope. cost me $80. for that lesson.

aelwero 12-23-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ-John (Post 3113018)
Thanks, everyone yes I have things done as I'm in the northeast and this has to be my daily driver right now. I cut the original seal out had the frame blaster and painted the reinstalled the original glass. I ended up paying a installer for that. He used a rope which I have seen but he used a cord the size of lawn mower starter rope. cost me $80. for that lesson.

For general reference, military style paracord sprayed down with WD-40 is REALLY good for putting in those gaskets :)