Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Plasti Dip 2013 Sahara Wheels Pics (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/plasti-dip-2013-sahara-wheels-pics-191854.html)

TitanFlyer 10-07-2012 02:37 PM

Plasti Dip 2013 Sahara Wheels Pics
 
3 Attachment(s)
In case anyone is thinking about it and wanted to know how it looks, I did 3/5 of my car today. It got cold (60 degrees) and it seemed to cause problems with drying etc, so I held off till tomorrow for the others. I will say, I learned what NOT to do today... but it worked out well I thought. Does need some touch ups here and there.

Never done it before, and it seems pretty painless. I did this while wheels were on the car, and didn't tape anything up except the valve, and covered the brakes with garbage bags.

Attachment 166967

Attachment 166968

Attachment 166969

dbowmaneod 10-07-2012 02:38 PM

Looks good man.

TitanFlyer 10-07-2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbowmaneod (Post 2868362)
Looks good man.

Thanks!! If nothing else, it will tide me over till I get my xmas wheels and tires... and convinced me that black would look SO MUCH BETTER.. which I really knew already...

KYFootDoc 10-07-2012 03:09 PM

Looks nice

Jackster3 10-07-2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitanFlyer
In case anyone is thinking about it and wanted to know how it looks, I did 3/5 of my car today. It got cold (60 degrees) and it seemed to cause problems with drying etc, so I held off till tomorrow for the others. I will say, I learned what NOT to do today... but it worked out well I thought. Does need some touch ups here and there.

Never done it before, and it seems pretty painless. I did this while wheels were on the car, and didn't tape anything up except the valve, and covered the brakes with garbage bags.

That actually looks awesome i love that look

BLNorris777 10-07-2012 03:20 PM

looks great

panthermark 10-07-2012 03:30 PM

Looks great!
I was looking forward to seeing these pics....thanks!

The contours of the rims give them a two tone look even in black. The Sahara rims look dope with plasti-dip on them. Everything I expected and more.

MikeK46 10-07-2012 03:54 PM

That looks awesome, reminds me of aftermarket wheels.

robskully 10-07-2012 05:35 PM

i'd like to see it without the black in the cutout area.
Rob ...

MikeK46 10-07-2012 06:02 PM

The black lugs are a nice touch :thumb:

TitanFlyer 10-07-2012 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeK46 (Post 2868775)
The black lugs are a nice touch :thumb:

I left them on (meaning just plasti dipped the whole wheel as is).. just tried to minimize the work level. Hoping I didn't miscalculate, because the first time I need to take those wheels off will pull the plasti dip right off.

ltsrapcon 10-07-2012 06:46 PM

Looks good. I did the same thing with my 2012 wheels.

panthermark 10-07-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitanFlyer (Post 2868842)
I left them on (meaning just plasti dipped the whole wheel as is).. just tried to minimize the work level. Hoping I didn't miscalculate, because the first time I need to take those wheels off will pull the plasti dip right off.

Trying scoring around the lug nuts with a tooth pick. My guess is that you will lose the dip on the lugs, but keep it on the rims if that works.

dbowmaneod 10-09-2012 06:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's mine.

Attachment 167645

panthermark 10-09-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbowmaneod (Post 2874859)
Here's mine.

Attachment 167645

:thumb:

How much did the take-offs run you?

Cosmic Charlie 10-10-2012 06:38 AM

Plasti-dip makes those wheels look 100% better!

jwilson2598 10-10-2012 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmic Charlie
Plasti-dip makes those wheels look 100% better!

Not to me, but we each get our own opinion, part of what makes the US a great place :)

TitanFlyer 10-10-2012 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwilson2598 (Post 2876398)
Not to me, but we each get our own opinion, part of what makes the US a great place :)

My wife is with you.. she doesn't see the sense in changing them at all. I knew from the second I saw the jeep on the lot that I would replace them, but wanted to see if I could do something temporary to get what I wanted.

Cosmic Charlie 10-10-2012 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwilson2598 (Post 2876398)
Not to me, but we each get our own opinion, part of what makes the US a great place :)

How does it feel to be wrong? :rofl:

Just kidding, I absolutely agree with you. If everyone liked the same thing, it would be very boring around here.

Ltblue 10-10-2012 07:25 AM

Plasti dip them all you want..those rims are still uuuuugly! Sorry but someone got to say it. :)

TitanFlyer 10-10-2012 08:28 AM

I don't actually understand why the auto companies don't put surveys out to ask its customer base to vote on 10 different styles of wheel that they are looking at possibly using. It would be a lot better for us in the end if the majority voted for the ones that look the best... but its obviously subjective. I am not a huge fan of these wheels either but I knew no matter what they put on I was going to replace them, so I didn't care.

EricM 10-10-2012 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitanFlyer
I don't actually understand why the auto companies don't put surveys out to ask its customer base to vote on 10 different styles of wheel that they are looking at possibly using. It would be a lot better for us in the end if the majority voted for the ones that look the best... but its obviously subjective. I am not a huge fan of these wheels either but I knew no matter what they put on I was going to replace them, so I didn't care.

They actually do perform clinics with target buying groups to evaluate vehicles. I actually got to participate in one that Ford did a number of years ago. Even got paid $100 to do it.

Ltblue 10-10-2012 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitanFlyer (Post 2876565)
I don't actually understand why the auto companies don't put surveys out to ask its customer base to vote on 10 different styles of wheel that they are looking at possibly using. It would be a lot better for us in the end if the majority voted for the ones that look the best... but its obviously subjective. I am not a huge fan of these wheels either but I knew no matter what they put on I was going to replace them, so I didn't care.

But they do look a lot better black though.. When it was silver, it stood out more and you could Actually notice the design. Black hides it well, so all in all not bad.

Buddhacon 10-10-2012 09:34 AM

oh damn I was wondering how they would turn out and now I know and time to get spraying ! thanks for the pics! they look awesome

Buddhacon 10-10-2012 09:39 AM

how long did it take and how many coats and cans did it take?

TitanFlyer 10-10-2012 09:43 AM

It took me about 3-4 hours for five coats for all 5 wheels, but I did one at time for the first 3 wheels... used 3 full cans. If you set it up right and prep all 5 before you start, you could be done in a little over an hour as the first one is done drying before you get the other four done... takes about 10 minutes between coats.

The main trick, and its a hard one to learn, is to understand it will look like crap for the first 2 coats.. just have to trust it will turn out great and it will.

panthermark 10-10-2012 10:13 AM

Well I think they look a LOT better in black. They no longer look like something out of a tap and die set.

Pattynole 10-10-2012 12:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm thinking of doing my 18" aluminums. i love the wheels, but i'm really curious to see what they'd look like black.

panthermark 10-10-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pattynole (Post 2877370)
I'm thinking of doing my 18" aluminums. i love the wheels, but i'm really curious to see what they'd look like black.

The 7 spokes look as sick as the new Sahara rims when plasti-dipped.

I'm not sure if it was look as good on an all black Sahara (since it is two different shades of black), but it looks outstanding on a all white Sahara.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/attachm...1&d=1338945719
http://www.wranglerforum.com/attachm...1&d=1338945886
http://www.wranglerforum.com/attachm...1&d=1338945886
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/pla...ls-164846.html

Ltblue 10-10-2012 02:55 PM

My jeep isn't so far off from you guys..I'm on the iPad ATM so I can't post any pics, but my profile has some pictures. Had my rims professionally painted in a friend's spray booth.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:57 PM.