Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   still getting driveline vibration! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/still-getting-driveline-vibration-192065.html)

cory05tj 10-08-2012 03:45 PM

still getting driveline vibration!

i posted here the other day about a clicking noise i was hearing and i was getting a lot of vibration. narrowed it down to the u-joint on the front of the rear driveshaft. pulled the shaft out yesterday and went ahead and changed both u-joints on it. the jeep is running smoother than it ever has...EXCEPT the last 10 feet or so when i stop i get a horrible rumble that i think i coming from the rear. it wasnt doing it before the u-joint went bad so is it possible that the bad joints caused something else to get messed up? anything i can check? any help is much appreciated. cant afford a mechanic.:nonono:

cory05tj 10-08-2012 07:19 PM

anyone?

Jerry Bransford 10-08-2012 07:42 PM

Did you get the u-joints seated properly so they are free to move? It's not easy to get them seated properly so they aren't binding.

baker3 10-08-2012 07:51 PM

Is there anything that can ensure a proper seating? I installed my front shaft a couple weeks ago and I have vibration.

Jerry Bransford 10-08-2012 07:54 PM

A few solid whacks on both sides of the yoke with a BFH before installing the driveshaft can help seat the bearing caps outward against the clips to allow the u-joints to move freely. Pressing the bearing caps into the yoke often gets them seated too tightly against against the trunion (u-joint body).

baker3 10-08-2012 08:03 PM

Ill be breaking out Mjolnir!!! Lets see who knows what that is lol

cory05tj 10-08-2012 08:30 PM

i'll have to try that tomorrow. hopefully going to work and back doesnt ruin the new joints i just put in

cory05tj 10-10-2012 07:10 PM

ok i think i may have found the culprit. not too sure. i removed the front driveshaft at the differential and tied it up out of the way and went for a spin. still got the vibration. put it back on. crawled to the rear of the jeep and decided to grab and yank everything i can get my hands on and see if theres any play. the rear sway bar (?) i believe is what i had my hands on and it was wiggling like no other. the bushings appear to be worn. would that cause the vibrations im getting? and are they easy to change?

Thomas302 10-10-2012 08:07 PM

The swaybar is the skinny bar that runs from one side to the other and connects to the end links and bolts to the front of the axle. I dont think that would cause a vibration. that track bar the bigger bar and it is on top of the axle and connects behind the ds upper contol arm. A worn out bushing in that could possible cause a vibration.

cory05tj 10-10-2012 08:30 PM

its def. the sway bar i had my hands on earlier then. do you think the trackbar would cause a rumbling vibration only at speeds of 10mph or less? thats the only time i get any vibration. its exactly like rolling up to every stop sign/light and the last 15 feet before you stop you're driving on rumble strips like the ones on the sides of the highway.

Thomas302 10-10-2012 08:42 PM

Sounds dumb but maybe you can remove the rear driveshaft and plug the transfercase so you dont lose fluid, unless you have a SYE and then you are good. Drive it in 4wd with just the front axle pulling. If it goes away you know it was the rear driveshaft. Not sure if its the best idea but thats what I would do.

cory05tj 10-10-2012 09:03 PM

i'll have to try it tomorrow after work. i did that with the front already and i had the rear out when i put both new u-joints in it. it was vibrating just like this with the bad joints. it was clicking then also. would the bad joints from before have been able to totally ruin the driveshaft? or it that out of the question?

DevilDogDoc 10-10-2012 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas302 (Post 2878798)
Sounds dumb but maybe you can remove the rear driveshaft and plug the transfercase so you dont lose fluid, unless you have a SYE and then you are good. Drive it in 4wd with just the front axle pulling. If it goes away you know it was the rear driveshaft. Not sure if its the best idea but thats what I would do.

You can pull the shaft on the rear and drive forever like that. There is no way for fluid to leak from the tailshaft on TJ's, that was a YJ thing.

SeVeReDiStOrTiOn 10-10-2012 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cory05tj (Post 2878740)
its def. the sway bar i had my hands on earlier then. do you think the trackbar would cause a rumbling vibration only at speeds of 10mph or less? thats the only time i get any vibration. its exactly like rolling up to every stop sign/light and the last 15 feet before you stop you're driving on rumble strips like the ones on the sides of the highway.

That's the rear shaft u-joints for sure...mine did the same thing. Do what jerry said, remove the shaft and give the yoke ears a whack from the inside...they should move freely with little resistance. When I installed the rear shaft to diff u-joint it was stiff as all hell. I gave it a few whacks and it loosened up nicely...night and day.

cory05tj 10-10-2012 10:46 PM

what are the yoke ears? those u-joints are brand new...are you just saying that they may be too tight in there and not spinning freely?

ShannonT 10-11-2012 02:18 AM

I'm watching this.. will be replacing u-joints shortly and want to do it right.

cory05tj 10-11-2012 09:03 PM

ok guys, the rear drive shaft is completely out of the jeep. left it home and went for a spin. the vibration is still there, no change at all. i know for sure the rear sway bar bushings are shot, but if thats not whats causing it..what else can i check?

cory05tj 10-11-2012 09:21 PM

also, how important is the metal ring on the output shaft boot? i've been fighting that thing for the last 20 minutes

DevilDogDoc 10-11-2012 09:36 PM

I cut mine off and used a ziptie in its place when I pulled mine off. Just check it now and again and make sure it's greased in there.

cory05tj 10-11-2012 09:50 PM

i guess i'll have to do the same thing. i'm tired of that damn ring. maybe i'll get a big hose clamp and stick it on there. but anyhow, is there anything else to consider that could be causing this rumbling. its driving me nuts and i want to get it taken care of before it gets too cold outside haha

Volta009 10-16-2012 12:18 AM

Ha nobody caught the thor referance.....

Rolf 10-16-2012 01:51 AM

Automatic or manual?

If it is an automatic I have a pretty good idea what it could be from your explanation.

On the crossmember for the skidplate there is a bolt into the frame on each side. If one of those bolts are only a little loose it will vibrate like hell just before you come to a stop. This is usually only noticable when you are slowing down. Don't feel with your hand if they are tight, take a wrench and tighten them. I chased this problem for about a week on my TJ.

trukdryverchuck 10-16-2012 02:40 AM

Sounds like it could be rear wheel bearing

05Unlimted 10-16-2012 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baker3 (Post 2871878)
Ill be breaking out Mjolnir!!! Lets see who knows what that is lol

I feel like that's a halo reference..haha

Volta009 10-16-2012 03:12 PM

Mjolnir is thors hammer

sevenservices 10-16-2012 03:31 PM

does it change if you brake hard -vs- brake slow and steady?

cory05tj 10-16-2012 05:58 PM

its a 6 speed m/t. the only thing i can think of is wheel bearings or front axle u-joints. i can drive along in 2nd gear going 10mph and it feels like im driving on rumble strips. as far as braking goes, if i slow down slowly i just feel the vibes longer than if i slam on the brakes. then i only feel it the last 10 feet or so before i stop

harleydragon 10-16-2012 06:35 PM

maybe wheel bearings or brakes

cory05tj 10-16-2012 06:44 PM

but would the brakes be the cause of it since i can drive along and still get the vibes without touching the brakes at all?

harleydragon 10-16-2012 06:52 PM

I would think that you might hear a noise if it was brakes but probably not a vibration