Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   New Black JK - Get it clayed and waxed now or wait? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/new-black-jk-get-it-clayed-and-waxed-now-or-wait-192337.html)

93TilInfinity 10-09-2012 06:51 PM

New Black JK - Get it clayed and waxed now or wait?
 
This thing will be dirty the majority of its life and already has a good deal of mud caked to it 1 week into ownership. :D Looking for wash/wax/clay strategy at this point. IE given its not going to be getting washed super often what can I do at this point to give the paint a fighting chance :)

Thanks!

C6Rubicon 10-09-2012 06:54 PM

If it's going to be dirty most of the time it seems pointless to clay bar and wax it.

93TilInfinity 10-09-2012 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C6Rubicon (Post 2874993)
If it's going to be dirty most of the time it seems pointless to clay bar and wax it.

So theres nothing "protective" about doing either?

appleman46 10-09-2012 06:59 PM

I clay'd mine just recently for the first time over a year after I bought it. The dealership is suppose to do all that, so I wouldn't for a while.

Metonymy 10-09-2012 07:01 PM

I did mine as quickly as I could. No need to wait.

And to the above poster who commented about it being dirty most of the time, a good clay and wax will help protect the paint from the acids in the mud and will also make it easier to wash.

And no, the dealer is under no obligation to clay or wax a new vehicle. You should assume it has not been done.

appleman46 10-09-2012 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metonymy (Post 2875023)
I did mine as quickly as I could. No need to wait.

And to the above poster who commented about it being dirty most of the time, a good clay and wax will help protect the paint from the acids in the mud and will also make it easier to wash.

And no, the dealer is under no obligation to clay or wax a new vehicle. You should assume it has not been done.


So Jeeps are suppose to sit in the lot unprotected? I think it's in their own best interest to do all that.

JerryJeepster 10-09-2012 07:14 PM

I sold Toyotas and BMW's and we always waxed and clay barred them. However, most domestic dealers barely wash the vehicles let alone detail them. As soon as my Jeep came home I polished and waxed it!! I believe there is a write up here about detailing a vehicle. It is very good.

ohioviper 10-09-2012 07:21 PM

Most dealers will wash but never seen one clay bar or wax. I hand waxed mine asap.

93TilInfinity 10-09-2012 07:35 PM

Local car wash (very highly respected) is recommending a polymer paint sealant. Its 105 and then 50 every 6 months and comes with a paint guarantee which I'm sure is so subjective no one ever collects on it. Includes wash and and clay if necessary. Seems decent to me...

PieFace 10-09-2012 08:40 PM

my black jeep looked awful from the dealer. had to do a full polish, and then I wrapped the whole thing in xpel wrap.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/xpe...up-135110.html

DuRsT 10-09-2012 09:10 PM

What type of wax are you considering?

93TilInfinity 10-09-2012 09:33 PM

Ah dealer did a Teflon sealant apparently. Thy recommend waxing now so I guess I'll just do that

PhotoWrangler 10-09-2012 09:36 PM

I used Meguires Tech 2.0 today. Mine is black and 14 days old.

Saranrap 10-09-2012 09:45 PM

Since its a jeep and if you are planning on taking it off road i would opticoat it or wolf's harbody. Opticoat is a true permanent coating that is harder then your actual clear coat so it will with stand scratchs/gouges better. Wolfs hard body gives paint incredable depth/shine but is only rated for 2 years and has a semi scatchproof properties. I did opticoat on my jeep because she will see dirt/mud/branches and i never have to worry about waxing :)

join Detailing Bliss Forum - News for your detailing needs, some serious pros over there :) you can also find the products i mentioned here Welcome to Detailer's Domain - The source for all your automotive car care needs.

Good Luck :)

Metonymy 10-09-2012 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by appleman46 (Post 2875044)
So Jeeps are suppose to sit in the lot unprotected? I think it's in their own best interest to do all that.

See below...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohioviper (Post 2875089)
Most dealers will wash but never seen one clay bar or wax. I hand waxed mine asap.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PieFace (Post 2875378)
my black jeep looked awful from the dealer. had to do a full polish, and then I wrapped the whole thing in xpel wrap.

I was in the same boat. Mine was covered in water spots that wouldn't wash off. I had to clay bar it to clean the surface. It didn't take of tons of "junk", but it did clear up all the water spotting that didn't want to wash off. And then I of course waxed it. I think it worked well:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...Jeep/waxed.jpg

Boney24 10-09-2012 11:54 PM

I took mine to Ziebart and had the "Diamond gloss" applied to my black jeep. It's a paint sealant that is essentially a 2nd clear coat. It's very thick, as I had to chip off some overspray from inside the door that turned white after it dried.

I don't even need to dry the Jeep after washing it if I don't want, the water runs off like i applied Rain X. Each year you have to refresh it, but my Dad's car looks showroom new and it's a 7 year old car.

lolpetewtf 10-10-2012 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by appleman46 (Post 2875044)
So Jeeps are suppose to sit in the lot unprotected? I think it's in their own best interest to do all that.

You're kidding right? Dealers are in it for money, they could give a shit about a clayed and waxed car on their lot. Its why paints have UV clear coats etc.

PhotoWrangler 10-10-2012 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boney24
I took mine to Ziebart and had the "Diamond gloss" applied to my black jeep. It's a paint sealant that is essentially a 2nd clear coat. It's very thick, as I had to chip off some overspray from inside the door that turned white after it dried.

I don't even need to dry the Jeep after washing it if I don't want, the water runs off like i applied Rain X. Each year you have to refresh it, but my Dad's car looks showroom new and it's a 7 year old car.


How much does that run? And how would I find a service place in my area?

EricM 10-10-2012 08:52 AM

I've religiously clayed and waxed all of my vehicles if for no other reason to make them easier to wash. Recently I've had good luck with Meguiars Ultimate but it does take a final water buff to remove the streaks and swirls.

I haven't clayed the Jeep yet (didn't need it) but I did hit it with Turtle Wax Ice. Super easy to apply and does seem to live up to the claim of making dirt wash off easier. I don't know how well it holds up over time, but it was so easy to apply, you could just about do it every time you wash.

Boney24 10-10-2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhotoWrangler

How much does that run? And how would I find a service place in my area?

I don't know if they'd have it in your area. Search Ziebart on google, I guess? I don't think they're big.

$299 for a JKU for the initial, and then $199 for a yearly refresher. This also includes a full detail. I paid $680 for this, sound undercoating, and interior sealing (like scotch guard).

Mopar2Ya 10-10-2012 10:30 AM

Arnold Schwarzenegger - Do it! - YouTube

BeyondYourFrontDoor 10-10-2012 11:13 PM

Skip the clay... Takes too long. Just grab a good dual-action polisher and some polish/wax and you'll have a new look in 1/4 the time. I like Meguires DA polisher and nano polish/wax. Very hard to screw up with it. I do my parents and relatives cars for birthday presents and such, and they all say they look better than new when I am done. Takes about 3-4 hours if I have to cut though...

PhotoWrangler 10-11-2012 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boney24 (Post 2876848)
I don't know if they'd have it in your area. Search Ziebart on google, I guess? I don't think they're big.



Nice. The closest location to me is Corpus Christi.... not happening.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:10 PM.