Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   First rain - 2013 hard top leaking (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/first-rain-2013-hard-top-leaking-192485.html)

NWranglerS 10-10-2012 02:27 PM

First rain - 2013 hard top leaking

Just picked my jeep up a few days ago. I have a hard top and I have not taken the freedom panels off yet, so nothing has been touched since it came from the factory. Today it is raining and I took it out to run some errands, looked over and saw dripping from the upper right corner of the passenger door. It wasn't pouring in or anything, but enough to drip all over the door and forearm rest on the door. Its hard to see exactly where the water is getting in. I made sure the window was rolled up tight and also slammed the door shut making sure it was closed all the way. Here is a pic I snapped out on the road:

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q...is26/leak2.jpg

Has this happened to anyone? I gotta say I am pretty annoyed, especially with a brand new jeep with hard top. I don't want to have to worry about any leaks with my new jeep. I am having flash backs of when I would have to hold a towel against my window with my 2001 when I went to the car wash.

Anyways,

Any suggestions?

lolpetewtf 10-10-2012 02:44 PM

It has happened to everyone. Almost everyone. Dealer redid my door seals and now it no longer leaks. I fully tighten the 2 knobs on the sound bar - some people do not but try it.

OffRoadCam09 10-10-2012 03:19 PM

Had the same problem brand new 2013 wrangler an never touched the top or anything an it rained super hard an I had 2" of water in my driver side floor board, took it to dealer to get it fix an it still let's in a very small amount, will be takin it back again if it gets worse

blackntan 10-10-2012 03:20 PM

My 11 leaked a couple of times shortly after I first got it just like in your pictures. After having the freedom panels out and back in a couple of times I have never had any more problems. You have to be careful putting them back in not to roll a seal or something. Also I have been running without the knobs for a while with no problems even in very heavy rain.

mcgee10 10-10-2012 03:33 PM

Same here I was going to take it back to dealer, but after I had them out a few times and always clean the rubber up when I put them back in I even put some WD40 on the rubber. The leak just quit. I even went threw a few car washes to see and no leak.
I know the whole idea of it fixing itself sound nuts.

SouthTJ 10-10-2012 04:36 PM

Dang that sucks on a brand new vehicle. Although, glad to see that Jeeps are still Jeeps. :rolleyes:

joeymon1 10-10-2012 05:43 PM

My Sport S Unlimited has been on order since the middle of August and I can't wait for it to show up. - My first Jeep at 66 years old. Always wanted one. Been driving Subaru Foresters that always seem to start and don't leak.
I can't wait to see where on the passenger side my Jeep will leak and what light or whole cluster goes out when I turn to the left or if the wipers come on when I turn to the right or if the engine catches fire on the way home or if it will even start.
WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT - Why am I leaving Subaru a how come I can't wait to get this thing?

rand4x4 10-10-2012 05:49 PM

glad my 07 is not the only year, They will all leak taking on and off the tops.

mathjak 10-10-2012 06:19 PM

my 2012 drips a few drops in the same spot but only under really really heavy rain.

Blastek 10-10-2012 06:30 PM

after reading about all the leaking JKs, i was almost disappointed when i discovered that neither my softop or hardtop on my JK leak a drop. I guess i can look forward to that in a few years when the seals wear out!

Phil T 10-10-2012 07:23 PM

You may want to take off and reinstall the panels. On my Jeep when I took a test drive the salesman removed a panel to show my how it worked. After I took delivery I realized he did not reinstall it tightly because I had rattles. I have taken the panels on and off a few times, cleaned the seals and put silicone spray on the seals. No leaks or rattles.

scuba_steve 10-10-2012 07:25 PM

One vote for "unacceptable".

I haven't seen any leaks in my 2013 JKR, but if it happens and I bring it in, the dealer saying "it's a jeep" won't cut it. I'll respond with, "No, it's a $38,000 vehicle...fix it."

My hard top TJ never leaked in 11 years...and neither did the soft top YJ before it.

Wrangler 1 10-10-2012 07:52 PM

Mine is a 2012 jku and was leaking on passenger side like yours!! It was accumulating water in the hard top pockets ! Took it to the dealer and they replaced !! With the new one the leaking stop. Check if yours is accumulating water in the inside pockets you can hear the water running around the hard top when you step on the breaks!! In my case it wasn't the rubber but the hard top was taking water through the seals! Good luck!!

tomthbomb 10-10-2012 08:01 PM

Can't help you. I have had my 2007 for five years and my 2012 for a year and neither leak a drop.

I agree with the suggestion to take the Freedom panels off and reinstall them.

Do that and let us know if it help. Bet it will.

JukkaBeeze 10-10-2012 08:04 PM

i got wet this morning same area as yours but on the driver's side. Had my 2013 since Friday.

My 2010 that i traded in, leaked once or twice when i first got it and then just stopped.

Are people wiping the seals down or anything?

NWranglerS 10-10-2012 08:11 PM

It stopped raining soon after I posted this. I went in my jeep and felt the two knobs for the panel in the soundbar and I was able to tighten them a lot more. Not sure if this will do the trick but we will see next time I'm in rain.

Question though: When you guys tighten the knobs when putting the panels back in, do you tighten them until you can't turn them anymore? I ask because I felt like I could have kept turning them a little, but I didn't want to break anything.

I think I will try taking the freedom panels off this weekend at some point and re-install them, then drive through a car wash or something. Will report back!

Firefighter-rn 10-10-2012 08:12 PM

My 2012 leaked in the same spot once during a hard rain. I took the freedom panels off and reinstalled and has not leaked since.

NWranglerS 10-10-2012 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JukkaBeeze (Post 2878438)
i got wet this morning same area as yours but on the driver's side. Had my 2013 since Friday.

My 2010 that i traded in, leaked once or twice when i first got it and then just stopped.

Are people wiping the seals down or anything?

Damn that sucks, let me know if you figure anything out.

tomthbomb 10-10-2012 08:38 PM

Quote:

I went in my jeep and felt the two knobs for the panel in the soundbar and I was able to tighten them a lot more.
That will not help the leak you had close to the door or anywhere else. That is not their purpose.

Quote:

When you guys tighten the knobs when putting the panels back in, do you tighten them until you can't turn them anymore?
Do not over tighten them! Again that is not why they are there.
That will not help and could damage the panels. According to Jeep the knobs are there to secure the Freedom panels when the main top is removed but I think they also make it a little more time consuming for a thief to take them. Just my opinion on that.

mathjak 10-11-2012 04:32 AM

i have not used those knobs for months with no issues at all. i just put them back in for the winter. i just snug them up slightly but dont really tighten them up much.

teach95 10-11-2012 05:38 AM

2011---never have a had a leak of any kind. I was very fortunate to do my test drive during a monsoon thunderstorm! Didn't have a problem then--so obviously no problems since.

but the various posters are correct--take care of the seals everywhere--be it wd-40, 303 aerospace, whatever--take care of those seals.

Rooster76 10-11-2012 12:29 PM

I'm pretty sure they will fix it at the dealership under warranty.

If you want to do it yourself, or be able to tell them exactly the problem you should check out the PDF on this link below. It's like 144 pages covering everything leak related.
LINK-> http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/wat...tml?highlight=

eTom 10-11-2012 12:44 PM

Thanks for sharing this helpful link.

Are there some other interesting manuals in the forum???
As you know I'm a newby and I'm interested in learning...

JukkaBeeze 10-14-2012 06:02 PM

Ok, so my dealer is far enough away to not waste the 16MPG i get :)...

so i washed the mud off today so i could through some polish and wax on, and i think i found the problem. when you open the door and look at the seal area on the hardtop, there are two foam-surfaced seals, that appear to be stick on the back. The one in the front looked like it was pulling away from the hardtop. I let it sit in the sun for a bit, and pressed it on real good, and rubbed it with a piece of plastic for a min, to make a good seal.

So far it stood up to the hose test. we'll see what happens

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWranglerS (Post 2878460)
Damn that sucks, let me know if you figure anything out.

69tigersqb 10-14-2012 06:15 PM

No leaks in my '13 Sport S to date, and ran through very heavy downpours today. I've had the Freedom tops off multiple times, and make sure all seals/channels are clean when reinstalling. So far, so good. And, it is entirely possible your dealer had them off prior to you taking delivery, for whatever reason.

truthiness 10-14-2012 07:39 PM

I guarantee its just a panel install issue. Remove and drop panels in place rail side first and then let center seal drop last. I threw my panels on quickly one night and had a leak the next morning after a storm. Removed and reset panels and nothing since.

TrueBlueJK 10-14-2012 07:43 PM

It rained for the first five days of my jeep ownership, thank God no leaks.

NWranglerS 10-14-2012 09:35 PM

Thanks for all the replies, I took it to a touchless car wash and no leaks... who knows. I will keep an eye on it.

jaybob88 10-14-2012 09:46 PM

My has leaked in the same spot, both driver and passenger side. The first time it happened no rain was involved, only a heavy morning dew. Every time it happens, I reseat the panels and it seems to take care of it.

It seems to me like it only happened when it was hot this summer and would get chilly at night. I have tried not tightening the knobs as right.

At this point there is no rhyme or reason for it. Just happens when she feels like it. Needless to say I always carry a towel with me to wipe off!

JK13blueshield 10-15-2012 05:21 PM

2013 jk unlmtd sport leakin at door seals

Discovered a leak today located at the top corners of both front doors. Water was coming in where the pad/seals touch the door rubbbers. Took it to the dealer and i hope they fix it. Brand new!! 1 month old!

Also is it normal for water to build up on the bottom frame area for the doors.. Where u can put door sills?