Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   The value of locking lug nuts (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/the-value-of-locking-lug-nuts-192547.html)

scuba_steve 10-10-2012 07:57 PM

The value of locking lug nuts

Folks who get new Jeeps frequently ask here whether or not locking lug nuts are worth it...and many say no since they can be removed fairly easily. Personally, I always use them since the only Jeep that I didn't have them on had its spare stolen, but your mileage may vary.

That said, I just saw this thread on reddit and thought you folks might find it interesting:

I work for a Chevy Buick dealership. This is what I came to work to this morning. : funny

http://i.imgur.com/w1XOm.jpg

According to the OP (who works there), they had the wheels stolen off 18 of the 19 Buick Enclaves on their lot. The 19th one was the only one with locking lugs.

xbxiii comments on I work for a Chevy Buick dealership. This is what I came to work to this morning.

It's not that they cannot be defeated...it's just that it takes more time...and they might decide to go steal something else instead.

Just a thought.

Sueby 10-10-2012 08:02 PM

My dealer told me someone came and stole all the spares off the lot. They since put in cameras & my Jeep came with locking lugs.

WXman 10-10-2012 08:02 PM

Exactly, it just slows the thief down.

I don't use mine anymore because A) that's why I pay an insurance premium every month and B) the risk of losing the key or breaking the key and being screwed while on the highway or the trail isn't worth it to me.

kramer2k 10-10-2012 08:03 PM

http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...ilies/eek2.gif

scuba_steve 10-10-2012 08:07 PM

Yep, mine came with locking lugs from the dealer as well...and I assumed that they put them on for their benefit, not mine. ;)

If you do get them when you buy a Jeep, make sure that the dealer gives you the lug key, the paperwork (with ID), and the five OEM lugs. I realized when I got home that they had forgotten all three...and the dealership was 70 miles away. Yeah, they mailed them.

Regarding losing the key, I got a spare...for 15 beans shipped...from McGard (the OEM Mopar source).

steed77 10-10-2012 08:20 PM

Nice.... That is what insurance is for.

I never use locking lugs. I am insured for more than what the wheels are worth. They take them... I get NEW wheels and tires. Call to DTD or one of our vendors here and it's shopping time. Learned the hard way a few years ago...I never put aftermarket wheels/tires worth more than what new OEM replacements cost.

Also it's harder to get true torque specs with the key, since that flexes anyway.

Also, I have had 3 or 4 of those locks freeze/ rust to the studs.... OR the key break when most needed. Since then, never again.

Just my .02

EricM 10-10-2012 08:25 PM

I don't use them either. The thief knows that the key has to be in the vehicle somewhere so why invite them to break in and do more damage to your vehicle when they want to steal the wheels?

tomthbomb 10-10-2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

A) that's why I pay an insurance premium every month
Quote:

Nice.... That is what insurance is for.
I have been around that block before. Believe me. With your deductible and rate increase due to a theft claim locking lugs are cheap.

IndyJeepMan 10-10-2012 08:28 PM

Itd be easy to find out who took 19 sets of the same wheels and tires.

Strokerswild 10-10-2012 08:30 PM

If someone really wants your wheels/tires, they'll get them.....

NFRs2000NYC 10-10-2012 08:34 PM

I always use locks, but make sure it is a QUALITY lug. The garbage sold by mcgard might as well be plastic. Complete and utter trash. Will not stop a thief and is almost guaranteed to break on you when you least need it. Buy gorilla. Have them on all my vehicles (all 20 lugs) and have never, EVER, had a single lug or key rust, break, fail, discolor, chip, etc.

NFRs2000NYC 10-10-2012 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strokerswild (Post 2878522)
If someone really wants your wheels/tires, they'll get them.....

I will pay anyone here $1000 in cash if they can get my s2000 wheels off within 30 minutes, and not alert a person sitting in my house. You can use whatever you want. A welder, vice grips, etc etc etc. If you fail however, you will owe me a new set of wheels. ;) Gorillas are made with a mixture of metals that welds don't stick to. They cannot be vice gripped. You cannot bang a socket onto them. Nothing. They are theft-proof.

tomthbomb 10-10-2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

They are theft-proof.
Your insurance company should give you a discount. Really.

dhamilton83 10-10-2012 08:44 PM

The issue I have with the locking lugs is that when you get them full of mud and clay and then need to change a tire it gets very difficult to get the key on them and you end up scraping the grooves out just to be able to get the key on....

Brun019822 10-10-2012 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyJeepMan (Post 2878517)
Itd be easy to find out who took 19 sets of the same wheels and tires.

not if they ship it overseas

tomthbomb 10-10-2012 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhamilton83 (Post 2878576)
The issue I have with the locking lugs is that when you get them full of mud and clay and then need to change a tire it gets very difficult to get the key on them and you end up scraping the grooves out just to be able to get the key on....

Good point.

How much time do you have your Jeep in public places and how much time on the trail?

Change them out in five minutes before you mud them up.

NFRs2000NYC 10-10-2012 09:02 PM

I don't think these would have problems with mud. The key would just push the mud aside.

Gorilla Automotive Products - Lug Nuts, Wheel Locks, Auto Security, Wheel Accessories

These probably yes...mud would gunk them up. However, they are complete garbage and you might as well use gum to protect your wheels.

http://static.pepboys.com/images/upl...ug_nuts_lg.jpg

gr8fulKID 10-10-2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC (Post 2878649)
I don't think these would have problems with mud. The key would just push the mud aside.

Gorilla Automotive Products - Lug Nuts, Wheel Locks, Auto Security, Wheel Accessories

These probably yes...mud would gunk them up. However, they are complete garbage and you might as well use gum to protect your wheels.

I recently swapped my 33s for 35s and during the install managed to break 2 of those gorilla keys. Luckily, a nearby PA auto shop had them.. I was surprised since I only thought I would have been able to get them from DTD

dhamilton83 10-10-2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC (Post 2878649)

oh I like those gorilla ones...might look into them

TrueBlueJK 10-10-2012 09:14 PM

I just installed the gorilla locks on my JK today, they seem like high quality. If you're scared of them getting stuck don't over tighten them and you'll be fine.

dhamilton83 10-10-2012 09:16 PM

Is anyone else thinking...why enclaves?

wassup8687 10-10-2012 09:29 PM

That is scary. I just bought a set of Gorilla lug nuts but haven't installed them yet.

EricM 10-10-2012 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhamilton83
Is anyone else thinking...why enclaves?

They were probably the nice 20s that will fit many other GM models and therefore highly marketable

NFRs2000NYC 10-10-2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricM (Post 2878741)
They were probably the nice 20s that will fit many other GM models and therefore highly marketable

This.

Dalmatians 10-10-2012 09:35 PM

I had the wheels stolen off my car back in '98 and it had locking lugs. I thought about them for the Jeep,but then realized I should also buy a locking gas cap/fuel door, locks for the door hinges, never use the soft top, new hood latches, locks on the A pillar lights... then they could still take whatever they wanted. :surrender:

NFRs2000NYC 10-10-2012 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wassup8687 (Post 2878738)
That is scary. I just bought a set of Gorilla lug nuts but haven't installed them yet.

Dont be scared. Gorillas are amazing. I even have them on my track car (tons of heat from the ceramic pads) and have never had a single issue. The key is also impact socket material, so if you break it, you're name is probably the hulk.

lexington01 10-10-2012 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricM (Post 2878741)

Yep, my wife had an enclave. The tires were outrageous since they were a custom size and only available from Michelin and one other manufacturer (I forgot who the second was). I'm sure the rims were expensive too.

wile_coyote 10-10-2012 09:41 PM

Both of mine are locked with Gorilla's...

orngcrushrgrl 10-10-2012 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wile_coyote
Both of mine are locked with Gorilla's...

I also have gorillas. Had an unfortunate mishap with an arsehole that lived in the same apt complex thinking he could steal the spare and get away with it when I lived in El Paso. I had something for him. Lol

IndyJeepMan 10-10-2012 10:30 PM

Ive got 32 gorilla lugs on my rig as well.