Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   2013 Audio Connections & Harness (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/2013-audio-connections-and-harness-192650.html)

WhiskeyMike 10-11-2012 11:03 AM

2013 Audio Connections & Harness

I stopped by a car audio place to see what they offered that I might want to put in my 2013. The install tech told me that the pin out schematics and harnesses aren't out yet for the 2013 and that they all changed. He thought he could rig something up, but would likely not be able to get the steering wheel connections working. Is this accurate or he off base?

I know Jeep changed from Infinity to Alpine, but did they actually change the schematics or pin outs on the stock harnesses? Doesn't make much sense.

BTW, I have a 2013 Sport S with connectivity and sirius, but not the alpine upgrade. I'm looking to change/add - head unit, amp, all new speakers and backup camera.

Also, while it may not be published yet, is there a good repair manual available for the 2012 and when would the 2013 normally come out?

lolpetewtf 10-11-2012 11:08 AM

I can tell you next week when I wire my brothers '13!

I don' think you will have a problem with the current PAC on the market for steering wheel controls; it programs itself - especially since you are swapping head units. Lots of people have wired backup cameras, do a search you will find some installs.

Mike_4462 10-11-2012 04:36 PM

I have a 2013 with the Alpine setup and can tell you nothing changed. I installed a Clarion CX-501 and used all the PAC adapters from last year and everything works fine for running the Alpine setup and steering wheel controls.

PhotoWrangler 10-11-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_4462 (Post 2881358)
I have a 2013 with the Alpine setup and can tell you nothing changed. I installed a Clarion CX-501 and used all the PAC adapters from last year and everything works fine for running the Alpine setup and steering wheel controls.

This is what I was afraid of... I didn't want to change out the head unit because I didn't want to loose the steering wheel controls.

Are you saying that your steering wheel controls control your aftermarket head unit?

SCCSD78 10-11-2012 06:26 PM

I understand after searching that you can make everything work but the phone button but an aftermarket set up might have bluetooth anyhow.

PhotoWrangler 10-11-2012 07:53 PM

I don't have the phone button, just the stereo controls.

Mike_4462 10-11-2012 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhotoWrangler (Post 2881448)
Are you saying that your steering wheel controls control your aftermarket head unit?

Yes it does. I have mine set up to control channel up, channel down, input source, volume up, volume down, and mute.

Landonk 10-12-2012 05:36 AM

What about UConnect features? Voice and phone buttons?

PhotoWrangler 10-12-2012 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landonk (Post 2882947)
What about UConnect features? Voice and phone buttons?

I would think that an aftermarket Head Unit would render the UConnect system useless, since most of them have bluetooth capabilities built in. But thats a complete guess.

xsdbs 10-12-2012 06:41 AM

Correct. However if you do have the Uconnect system, you'll want to get to the module and disconnect it. It's located behind the HVAC control head.
Leaving it plugged in won't keep the radio from working but what could happen is that it may throw a DTC because the CAN BUS network will see that it's not powering up.
Not a real big issue, however it could cause a tech to chase after a non related issue if you had to take the vehicle to the dealer for any future problems. When he put scan tool on the vehicle he'll see a DTC for the UC module as well as whatever may be the issue at the time. So really this is just a precautionary step. :thumb:

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhotoWrangler (Post 2882950)
I would think that an aftermarket Head Unit would render the UConnect system useless, since most of them have bluetooth capabilities built in. But thats a complete guess.

Lynskey 10-12-2012 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xsdbs (Post 2883025)
Correct. However if you do have the Uconnect system, you'll want to get to the module and disconnect it. It's located behind the HVAC control head.
Leaving it plugged in won't keep the radio from working but what could happen is that it may throw a DTC because the CAN BUS network will see that it's not powering up.
Not a real big issue, however it could cause a tech to chase after a non related issue if you had to take the vehicle to the dealer for any future problems. When he put scan tool on the vehicle he'll see a DTC for the UC module as well as whatever may be the issue at the time. So really this is just a precautionary step. :thumb:

Interesting. When I repalced my 130 HU and went the PAC harness route with the SWI, I left the UConnect as is. I thought that it would still be connected but have nowhere to go since the 130 HU was no longer connected.

In my set-up, my Pioneer unit is a BT so it has its' own phone button. When programming the SWI, I used the steering wheel phone button as a favorites channel changer. So on mine I have the 6 buttons programmed behind the wheel (up, down and middle on left and right) to control volume, channel, function (CD, USB, etc) and mute.

One little odd thing is that when I turn the ignition off and leave the key in, the EVIC displays "Stereo off" (or something like that) even when the stereo is not really off. Must be part of the UC module..

WhiskeyMike 10-12-2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynskey (Post 2883115)
So on mine I have the 6 buttons programmed behind the wheel (up, down and middle on left and right) to control volume, channel, function (CD, USB, etc) and mute.

Was it possible for you to map the answer call button on the steering wheel to the answer call on your head unit?

Do you know what SWI harness you used and where did you get it?

xsdbs 10-12-2012 04:26 PM

Like I said. it won't cause any issues just that the CAN BUS might see it as not online.
The EVIC probably has that message because the factory radio talks on the CAN BUS and the Pioneer takes CAN signal to turn on a 12 volt source and the radio doesn't talk on the CAN line.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynskey (Post 2883115)
Interesting. When I repalced my 130 HU and went the PAC harness route with the SWI, I left the UConnect as is. I thought that it would still be connected but have nowhere to go since the 130 HU was no longer connected.

In my set-up, my Pioneer unit is a BT so it has its' own phone button. When programming the SWI, I used the steering wheel phone button as a favorites channel changer. So on mine I have the 6 buttons programmed behind the wheel (up, down and middle on left and right) to control volume, channel, function (CD, USB, etc) and mute.

One little odd thing is that when I turn the ignition off and leave the key in, the EVIC displays "Stereo off" (or something like that) even when the stereo is not really off. Must be part of the UC module..

Lynskey 10-13-2012 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xsdbs (Post 2884466)
Like I said. it won't cause any issues just that the CAN BUS might see it as not online.
The EVIC probably has that message because the factory radio talks on the CAN BUS and the Pioneer takes CAN signal to turn on a 12 volt source and the radio doesn't talk on the CAN line.

Sounds about right on to me.

I did program the phone button on the wheel to be a "next programmed channel selector" sort of by accident. When programming I was doing the progression as the instructions said and I pressed that button during the program for next channel thinking I was doing the BT. I left it that way as my PAC-SWI is an older one that doesn't support the phone BT selection on the HU after trying a few times.

Mine is one of the original PAC-SWI-PS or PAC-SWI-RC units. Not sure which.

klebart 04-08-2013 10:18 AM

Hello, I have a leather steering wheel from a new 2013 Sahara with Uconnect (GPS/DVD/Mp3 etc). Can I swap this for a non-leather steering wheel from a 2013 Jeep that does not have Uconnect? I have heard that I will lose the phone button which is no big deal but I want to keep the other button functions. how ? thank you?

jwilson2598 04-08-2013 12:24 PM

They all have the switch panels in the front and radio controls in the back, so I think you could swap the switches out of yours and into the non leather wheel if you wanted to swap. That way you would still have all of your controls, but the non leather wheel. Just curious as to why you would want the rubber wheel instead if the nicer feeling leather one?

Tweak 04-08-2013 01:36 PM

nothing has changed, I have installed a LOC in a 2011 and a 2013 with uconnect. exact same procedure both times. think I was even using a thread for an even older Jeep.

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...hlight=speaker

hope this helps a bit, I know its not exactly what you are looking for

klebart 04-08-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwilson2598 (Post 3609467)
They all have the switch panels in the front and radio controls in the back, so I think you could swap the switches out of yours and into the non leather wheel if you wanted to swap. That way you would still have all of your controls, but the non leather wheel.

I'm not sure I'm following this. Can you explain a little more please?

jwilson2598 04-08-2013 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klebart (Post 3610143)

I'm not sure I'm following this. Can you explain a little more please?

Sure. Even the most base models that don't have a leather wheel still have the 2 radio controls on the back, cruise switch on the front, and a "dumbed down" switch pod on the front with step and menu buttons. If you wanted to swap one of those wheels in, you could remove the dumbed down switch pod and replace it with the pod from your leather wheel that has the phone and EVIC buttons on it. That way you could have the non leather wheel, but retain all your current functions.

Trenty 04-09-2013 12:27 AM

I ordered a new headunit and adapter from Crutchfield 2 weeks ago. Long story short, their adapter was from PAC and it doesn't work for 2013 JKU. I had to call PAC themselves to confirm it after getting 2 replacement units. Apparently it's a software issue with the 2013 model and they haven't had an update yet.

klebart 04-09-2013 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwilson2598 (Post 3612098)
If you wanted to swap one of those wheels in, you could remove the dumbed down switch pod and replace it with the pod from your leather wheel that has the phone and EVIC buttons on it. That way you could have the non leather wheel, but retain all your current functions.

really? That would work? I never thought about that. thanks

jwilson2598 04-09-2013 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trenty (Post 3612548)
I ordered a new headunit and adapter from Crutchfield 2 weeks ago. Long story short, their adapter was from PAC and it doesn't work for 2013 JKU. I had to call PAC themselves to confirm it after getting 2 replacement units. Apparently it's a software issue with the 2013 model and they haven't had an update yet.

Interesting. I have a friend who has a 2013 base model Sport (literally nothing but AC), who installed a radio with PAC adapter and everything including the wheel controls works fine. Does yours have the Alpine system from the factory? Maybe that's a difference.

jwilson2598 04-09-2013 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klebart (Post 3612970)

really? That would work? I never thought about that. thanks

Yes, that will work. There have been people who bought Jeeps without the connectivity package that swapped in the switch as part if adding the pieces to theirs and it works just fine. If your set on swapping the wheel, that's exactly what I would do.

woansleftpeg 04-09-2013 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trenty (Post 3612548)

I got a 2013 JKU about six weeks ago, I used the PAC RP4-CH11 interface when I installed my head unit and it worked perfectly. Is there new CANBUS firmware?

Trenty 04-09-2013 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwilson2598 (Post 3612989)

Interesting. I have a friend who has a 2013 base model Sport (literally nothing but AC), who installed a radio with PAC adapter and everything including the wheel controls works fine. Does yours have the Alpine system from the factory? Maybe that's a difference.

Nope. I have the base model stereo. According to PAC it was a firmware issue and that's why they do not list their adapter as compatible w 2013 JKU on their site. Crutchfield then confirmed this themselves, issued me a refund and an apology. Now I'm sitting here w the stock headunit again... Was hooking it up to a Pioneer 3400 as well. All it would do is make mechanical noises but not supply enough power to start the headunit. As soon as I connected it to a stready 12V line it would start right up but I had to bypass the PAC unit to do so.

Lusus_Naturae 04-18-2013 03:12 AM

^ Interesting. I wonder what the firmware update did then, and I would assume it would only affect '13's when the dealer updates the firmware too. Anyone with a working setup want to take theirs in for a test of this theory? Someone's going to be pissed when they get their Jeep back from an oil change and it no longer works...

Lusus_Naturae 04-18-2013 03:24 AM

^ I am also assuming here you mean firmware update for the Jeep - not the PAC.

wopspeed 04-25-2013 02:16 PM

2013 JK Stereo wire harness

I was just told from a relative who owns a car audio place that they do 2013 jeeps all the time and to get the steering wheel to work this is what you need:

Pac–Audio RP4-CH11 - Wire Harness - $140.00 from $200.00
retains RAP / factory amp / and all factory warning features / retains steering wheel controls

Can anyone confirm or elaborate on this?

he also recomended the following setups:

AV Multi-Media Receiver (here are some suggestions for you)

1. Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS
-7” wide screen display
-Bluetooth + Built in, Powered by Parrot
- 4volt output / 3 preouts
-DVD CD / HD Radio Built in / Pandora / SiriusXm Ready / Back-up Camera Ready

Sirius/XM V200 - $25.00 (tuner & antenna) - $50.00 mail-in rebate + 3 months free service

2. Pioneer AVH-X3500BHS
-6.1” wide screen display
-Bluetooth Built in, Powered by Parrot
- 2volt output / 3 preouts
-DVD CD / Pandora / HD Radio / SiriusXM Ready / Back-up Camera Ready

Sirius/XM - $25.00 (tuner & antenna) - $50.00 mail-in rebate + 3 months free service

3.Alpine ICS-X7HD
-7” wide screen display
-Bluetooth + Built in, Powered by Parrot
- 2Volts output / 3 preouts
- HD Radio Built in / Pandora / SiriusXm Ready
- Back-up Camera Ready

Materials (necessary for install)

Installation kit – $19.00 from $30.00
Antenna Adapter - $20.00 from $30.00
Pac–Audio RP4-CH11 - Wire Harness - $140.00 from $200.00
retains RAP / factory amp / and all factory warning features / retains steering wheel controls

Speaker options (here are some suggestions for you)
- Memphis MC62 - 6.5” Coaxials - $110.00 from $155.00 (2yr warranty)
- with in-line crossover (better highs, lows, & mid range)
Or
- Memphis PR62SV2 - 6.5” Components - $100.00 from $145.00
- Includes crossover and tweeters

Rears

bk81 06-11-2013 08:47 PM

Anyone have updates on this? I have a 2013 JK built May 2013 and most likely has the upgraded coding. Would removing my Uconnect completely solve this problem? Thanks

woansleftpeg 06-11-2013 09:08 PM

I think it's a CANBUS issue rather than UConnect. I would suggest calling PAC.

Also, you might want to talk to Metra, I haven't heard of any issues with their harnesses (although that doesn't mean there aren't any).