Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Lift/Tire Questions From A Newbie... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/lift-tire-questions-from-a-newbie-192672.html)

Neal5280 10-11-2012 01:45 PM

Lift/Tire Questions From A Newbie...

I have been reading a ton on the site about different lift/tire combos and I had a few questions about my potential configurations...

First If I do the 2.5" OME Lift with an additional 1" Body Lift would I be able to run 33" tires without rubbing or any other issues?

Or would it be better to run 31" with the above setup?

I'd like to maximize my off-road capabilities without going to a lift where I'll have to spend extra $$ on driveline modifications. I am new to this so I don't mind starting small and working my way up to the big leagues.

Thanks in advance for sharing your expertise with a new guy!

rocket4x4 10-11-2012 02:02 PM

when i bought my jeep the previous owner had that similar setup, and was running 285/75/16's (which ive heard are equivalent to a 33") and had no issues. i dont want to say go ahead and go with it. but just giving my insight to what i had when i bought mine since it was close to what you want to do. SN: where in CO you from? im from aurora.

Neal5280 10-11-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocket4x4 (Post 2880729)
when i bought my jeep the previous owner had that similar setup, and was running 285/75/16's (which ive heard are equivalent to a 33") and had no issues. i dont want to say go ahead and go with it. but just giving my insight to what i had when i bought mine since it was close to what you want to do. SN: where in CO you from? im from aurora.

Awesome thanks for the insight. I was born and raised in Denver but transplanted to Aurora about 2 years ago. Love your signature!

rocket4x4 10-11-2012 02:15 PM

thanks. i opened the thread and saw the big bronco head and was like hell yea! well welcome to the forum. im still fairly new, i joined last year but spent most that time in afghan. so now im getting back into it. but good luck on your lift/tires.

Neal5280 10-11-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocket4x4 (Post 2880769)
thanks. i opened the thread and saw the big bronco head and was like hell yea! well welcome to the forum. im still fairly new, i joined last year but spent most that time in afghan. so now im getting back into it. but good luck on your lift/tires.

Awesome, thanks for the welcome! Always good to meet a fellow Raider Hater! I am hoping to have her a little more ready to explore more of CO next year and beyond. So much that is available hard to nail down exactly what to go with... It's already fun and I haven't done anything yet :thumb:

bobthetj03 10-11-2012 03:38 PM

The OME kit is a great kit! I've ran mine for 5 years now and still going strong. No BL though cause I didn't need it for my 31's. For 33's you may need to add some bumpstop extensions so as not to rub at full stuff. A wheel with a 4" BS or so helps as well. I just switched over to 32's this go around and needed to add 3/4" bumps in the front. Here's my heep with the latest combo...
http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...7/P1050281.jpg

Neal5280 10-11-2012 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobthetj03 (Post 2880997)
The OME kit is a great kit! I've ran mine for 5 years now and still going strong. No BL though cause I didn't need it for my 31's. For 33's you may need to add some bumpstop extensions so as not to rub at full stuff. A wheel with a 4" BS or so helps as well. I just switched over to 32's this go around and needed to add 3/4" bumps in the front. Here's my heep with the latest combo...
http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...7/P1050281.jpg

Very nice, I really like the look of it! From all the reading I've done OME seems like the way to go. I do have a hardtop and will have a roof rack so I am going to go with their heavy duty package as it will be heavier than normal. Plus that will account for future front bumper/winch and rear bumper/swing out tire carrier. 32x11.50?

mellowyellow 10-11-2012 04:56 PM

I know this is a little off subject, but can someone tell me how you translate tire size to inches in height. If I want a 31" or 32" what are the tire sizes. Right now I have michelin P235/75R15's . I plan on putting on a 2" spacer lift and then go to either 31 or 32" tires.

bobthetj03 10-11-2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mellowyellow (Post 2881259)
I know this is a little off subject, but can someone tell me how you translate tire size to inches in height. If I want a 31" or 32" what are the tire sizes. Right now I have michelin P235/75R15's . I plan on putting on a 2" spacer lift and then go to either 31 or 32" tires.

Check out Mickey Thompson's website. Go to the tire specifications. That shows some good comparisons of metric vs. std tire profiles.

bobthetj03 10-11-2012 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal5280 (Post 2881207)
Very nice, I really like the look of it! From all the reading I've done OME seems like the way to go. I do have a hardtop and will have a roof rack so I am going to go with their heavy duty package as it will be heavier than normal. Plus that will account for future front bumper/winch and rear bumper/swing out tire carrier. 32x11.50?

Yep, 32X11.50X15's. I went with the HD rear springs too anticipating the same, but never did go with the swing out tire carrier, so the rear sat a bit high as a result, even with the hard top on. I ended up removing the 10mm spacer for the rear springs that came with the kit to level it out a bit.