Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Manual V.S. AUTO (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/manual-v-s-auto-192907.html)

njp2295 10-12-2012 04:22 PM

Manual V.S. AUTO

Vote your opinion and if you want post why it is better that the other.

Enemy 10-12-2012 04:25 PM

I prefer a manual (which is what I have) but I think for off road/rock crawling an auto would be best.

Randens Rubi 10-12-2012 04:28 PM

I vote auto but love manual as well. Easier to off road in auto and I'm lazy so auto is easier at times. :)

Atthehop 10-12-2012 04:40 PM

I voted manual beause it's my DD and I just love to drive manuals even in New York City.

PhotoWrangler 10-12-2012 04:44 PM

I wanted a manual this time because I wanted the 6th gear.

Toplessnlovinit 10-12-2012 04:48 PM

Love my 5 speed. More fun to drive and I actually prefer a stick shift in snow (even though my husband says that's crazy!). For some reason I feel more in control...

mike481 10-12-2012 04:59 PM

I swapped my NV3550 for an AW4. I loved driving the 5 speed on the street, but in the rocks, I love the auto more. Since she's not a DD anymore I chose to go auto for the offroad benefit.

Phil.Dye 10-12-2012 05:04 PM

My first Jeep was an auto and I enjoyed it. The Jeep I have now is a stick and I enjoy it even more...plus the wife can't drive a stick. :dance:

tallzdatank 10-12-2012 05:11 PM

manual. its simpler. I'm a fan of having the simplest jeep possible, and autos are a little more complex than I like. fewer cooling problems etc. manual gets my vote.

steveo8x8 10-12-2012 05:14 PM

I vote manual too all the way! It's so much more fun to drive in town and off road!

blueskiesbill 10-12-2012 06:01 PM

What I don't get is people say auto because of rocks but when I am crawling she's in 4lo and I don't touch the clutch. Confused! And when I want a different gear I put it there not hope it goes there

CMA_Rider 10-12-2012 06:11 PM

No offense to the auto lovers out there, but to me its not a true jeep unless its a manual

Wesboy 10-12-2012 06:22 PM

Be interesting to see how many people who posted have actually driven both manual and auto 4wds in all sorts of conditions - city, highway, sand, rocks, mud etc..

I have both.
Nearly didn't buy my TJ because it's an auto but so glad I did. I'll never have another manual 4wd again.

Don't know how that means it's not a 'true Jeep' though :confused:

Gunner 10-12-2012 06:25 PM

My YJ was a stick and I loved it around town. But on the trails I like my TJ auto much better.

Stout6 10-12-2012 06:36 PM

I own an auto but to do it over, I would seek out a manual. I think they are more fun to drive.

blueskiesbill 10-12-2012 07:06 PM

Also cheaper and easier to fix!

yyysguy 10-12-2012 07:36 PM

Auto

Prefer to let the Jeep do the shifting from here-on-out. Have driven enough manuals to cover a lifetime...

Jerry Bransford 10-12-2012 07:47 PM

A manual may be more fun for some but the purpose built offroad machines like compete in King of the Hammers and other major offroad events made the switch to automatics many years ago. Both winners at the 2012 King of the Hammers event were running automatics. And their automatic transmissions were essentially stock too, only coolers were added.

I converted my previous TJ from its OE 5-speed to an automatic for offroading purposes and the increase in its offroading ability from the automatic's 2-3X extra torque and infinitely low 1st gear ratio gave my TJ as much of a boost in offroad ability as installing the front and rear lockers did. The conversion to the automatic made a DRAMATIC improvement in how well it did offroad, expecially when climbing obstacles. The exact same three obstacles on a trail I have run for years always require a winch to get up and over them with my 4.88 gearing, 5-speed manual, and 35" tires. I couldn't make it up those obstacles without a winch no matter how many different lines I tried over the years. Then after I converted to the automatic, it went up those same three obstacles more easily than I could believe and without the need of a winch. The automatic's 2-3X greater low-end torque from its torque converter was the only difference. Same 35" tires, same 4.88 axle ratio, just the automatic transmission. It was almost stupid-easy after converting to the automatic, wow what a huge improvement on just that trail alone.

And for those who may think I just don't know how to drive a manual transmission well enough... I first learned to drive a stick back in 1964... almost 40 years of owning and driving a whole bunch of manual transmissions. :)

JeepnJim 10-12-2012 09:59 PM

My old CJs were three speed manuals but I really enjoy the convenience of the auto in my TJ. Easier to drink my coffee on the way to work and all that jazz. I also like the AC and shift on the fly 4WD. I'm getting older I guess. It was very fun to shift that three speed behind a 304. Felt great.

Thomas302 10-12-2012 10:03 PM

I love wheeling with an auto. You can just ease up to a obstacle and climb up it pretty smooth. I have never wheeled with a stick but alway see guys stalling and jerking trying to work the clutch climbing up stuff. I see rock crawling with a stick being a hassle. Just my .02

fyreftr1965 10-12-2012 10:18 PM

Part of the joy in driving my jeep is the fact that it is a manual. Not a rock crawler by any means just a fun daily driver. Teaching the daughters to drive it even better. I'm good at multi tasking .

solman 10-12-2012 10:25 PM

When I bought my 97 TJ 3 years ago it was a 5 speed, yes it was fun to drive but I go to Rausch creek here in PA every chance I get and for the rocks an automatic is the way to go. Last summer I swapped out my ax-15 5 speed manual for a 32-rh 3 speed auto and it is by far the best mod I have done to my jeep.

SurfKaster 10-12-2012 10:37 PM

Mine is stick, but I'd take an auto in a heartbeat.

GoldenSahara00 10-12-2012 10:51 PM

In the TJ, the 32rh is an awesome trans, probably the most bullet proof (reliable) they put in.

auto is better on the rocks.

torque converter.

handles larger tires better.

need I go on?

dklassen 10-12-2012 11:01 PM

Love to dive a stick, I have the 6 speed and it's not a DD either. However, I too think an auto would be more enjoyable crawling around the hills.

blueskiesbill 10-12-2012 11:06 PM

Idk... When I have a buggied out jeep someday it will be auto but while she is still a jeep she will be manual!

Nashorn101 10-12-2012 11:20 PM

I have the 5 speed and I love it. To me it's funner and is more sporty than an automatic. Plus, not many people know how to drive stick shift, so, if your buddy wants to drive your jeep, but they don't know how to drive a stick...tough luck! If it was an automatic, you'd have no excuse for them not to drive it.

Also, manuals are a little simpler and cheaper. You also can use engine compression to slow your Jeep down with a stick shift vs. using your brakes all the time.

Lastly, I think a true, traditional Jeep needs to be Manual.

But, for rock crawling and for off roading, ...an automatic would be easier to operate. Can't disagree with that.

D2K47 10-12-2012 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMA_Rider
No offense to the auto lovers out there, but to me its not a true jeep unless its a manual

x2

CMA_Rider 10-12-2012 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nashorn101 (Post 2885506)
But, for rock crawling and for off roading, ...an automatic would be easier to operate. Can't disagree with that.

But who wants it to be easy offroad, the more challenging the better

easy=boring offroad wise
if it wasn't that way there wouldn't be and hard trails

Kota7x 10-12-2012 11:47 PM

You could swap in one of those new Manual/Auto Transmissions that the JKs and Cherokees have. If you could make it happen then you would have the best of both worlds.