Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Coolant Temp Gauge. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/coolant-temp-gauge-193382.html)

Sea bass 10-15-2012 03:38 PM

Coolant Temp Gauge.

Can I replace the dash temperature gauge or do I have to replace the entire cluster? I replaced the sending unit, still not reading temps. I thought the send unit was the issue, when I turn the key, the temp gauge moves.

0III0forlife 10-15-2012 05:52 PM

Which sending unit did you replace? There are 2 on your motor. The one that is up by the water neck where the thermostat is, that one is for the computer. The one you want to replace for the gauge is on the back side of the head in the drivers side rear corner.

The only way to replace the dash gauge itself is either replace it with a different gauge out of a YJ or replace all the gauges with aftermarket ones. The stock gauges get their signal from a circuit board, and there isnt any room in there to put an aftermarket gauge without taking out all of the other gauges, and the circuit board that powers them.

jeff_in_rc 10-15-2012 05:53 PM

I think it is a cluster BUT have you removed it and cleaned all of it's connections yet? I have read that this is a must do to older YJ's. My amp meter does not work and the temp guage is way off but I'm having too much fun to tear it apart! LOL

BTW if you do remove it disconnect the battery first!

Sea bass 10-15-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0III0forlife (Post 2892855)
Which sending unit did you replace? There are 2 on your motor. The one that is up by the water neck where the thermostat is, that one is for the computer. The one you want to replace for the gauge is on the back side of the head in the drivers side rear corner.

The only way to replace the dash gauge itself is either replace it with a different gauge out of a YJ or replace all the gauges with aftermarket ones. The stock gauges get their signal from a circuit board, and there isnt any room in there to put an aftermarket gauge without taking out all of the other gauges, and the circuit board that powers them.

I replaced the one by the water neck...well great, I will have a look tomorrow at the drivers side rear corner. Thanks!:)

Sea bass 10-16-2012 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0III0forlife (Post 2892855)

Thank you! Thak you!:thumb:

I changed the drivers side rear (so pleased NAPA had one!) and all is well! I have a working temp gauge. It worries me not having it, especially off road in the dunes!