Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Freedom Top Rear Window (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/freedom-top-rear-window-193432.html)

speedracre 10-15-2012 07:55 PM

Freedom Top Rear Window

Is there such a thing as a rear window WITHOUT the silly wiper assembly?

Blastek 10-15-2012 08:01 PM

i don't think you're going to see much with that bigass tire anyway

rddavisjr 10-15-2012 09:23 PM

I have a two door so I was able to remove the rear seat headrests. Visibility through the rear window was much better. The headrests are now stored in my garage.

Please don't give me any responses about the danger of riding in the bad without headrests. I think the rear seat is too small for any normal sized adults to sit in.

Ron

Matador 10-16-2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rddavisjr (Post 2893438)
I have a two door so I was able to remove the rear seat headrests. Visibility through the rear window was much better. The headrests are now stored in my garage.

Please don't give me any responses about the danger of riding in the bad without headrests. I think the rear seat is too small for any normal sized adults to sit in.

Ron

"Normal size" define "Normal" because I have had no issue with friends ranging 5'-6' weighing 110-200lbs sitting back there. Getting in/out of a 2-door is sometimes tricky but once your inside I have been told that the seating is comfortable.

the Kolector 10-16-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rddavisjr (Post 2893438)

Ron

I had taken my headrests off too, though I had car seats back there anyhow. I still have them off even without the car seats, but I don't have anyone in the back seat now anyhow.

To the OP, I wonder if you would be able to take the wiper assembly off and plug the hole on the glass. I don't know what size hole it would leave though.

speedracre 10-16-2012 07:47 PM

Problem is, if you take wiper off, there is that black stuff on window, same size as motor housing. What engineer designed that? Its useless. without it in the way, I'd have some good visibiltiy

speedracre 10-16-2012 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blastek (Post 2893075)

That is a before picture, I was able to lower the Tire 4 " it's great, now If I could just get rid of that wiper assm

rddavisjr 10-16-2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedracre

That is a before picture, I was able to lower the Tire 4 " it's great, now If I could just get rid of that wiper assm

How did you lower the tire?

suicideking 10-17-2012 01:52 AM

I've also looked at the wiper in disgust and thought: Couldn't they find a way to have a wiper and not block that large of an area?

It would also be nice if you could remove the rear window, some kind of quick release kit. That way if you want to wheel, or haul something that sticks out the back, you could just remove the window completely.

COStrider 10-17-2012 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rddavisjr

Ron

Have you considered to just folding the seats down? Way better visibility IMHO ! Plus you have the headrest if a seat proportionate person needs a ride. (I didn't even say the world)

COStrider 10-17-2012 02:38 AM

Would it be feasible to have someone custom cut you a piece of safety glass? Then maybe it's possible to swap them out. Or do you need the defroster feature?

COStrider 10-17-2012 02:43 AM

Hey...do a search or scroll to find the BARN DOOR thread. Might be right up your alley

Baby Huey 10-17-2012 04:16 AM

So why not just remove the wiper, peel off the heat strip, plug the holes with Clear Epoxy and presto, done deal.... "BH"

wassup8687 10-17-2012 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blastek (Post 2893075)

Good point.

speedracre 10-19-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rddavisjr (Post 2897299)
How did you lower the tire?

I have the rugged ridge tire carrier, I took their 2 piece bracket, unbolted it, dropped the second half down where I wanted it, and had it welded in place

worked out great

now if I could just get rid of that wiper assm :confused: