Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Automatic remote starter? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/automatic-remote-starter-193538.html)

Apbiond 10-16-2012 07:32 AM

Automatic remote starter?

Hey! Does anyone have a remote starter on their jk? If so please let me know your recommendations! I have a 2009 unlimited jk and would love to get one! Thanks in advance!

Jk47 10-16-2012 07:37 AM

More of a toy than anything else for me. Yeah it's nice on a hot day to fire it up and cool it off before you leave the house, but just don't really ever use it.

Apbiond 10-16-2012 07:40 AM

I live in snowy buffalo, ny! So it would be so nice to not have to go out there during a blizzard to start my jeep :p

tomgillotti 10-16-2012 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apbiond
I live in snowy buffalo, ny! So it would be so nice to not have to go out there during a blizzard to start my jeep :p

I fixed this by moving to Florida ;)

Still a Bills fan though!

ONEFASTTURBO 10-16-2012 07:58 AM

I have one on my new Wrangler. I have always had remote starters on all of my cars that have not been garaged. They are terrific! Especially in cold or snowy weather, just start it 5 minutes before you leave and you have a warm car without any snow or ice on the window. I highly recommend it.

Hawaii 5-0 10-16-2012 07:58 AM

I have the factory installed remote starter. Works great, but I hardly ever use it since I park in my garage every night. I've only used it a few times before I've left work on REALLy cold days.

Apbiond 10-16-2012 08:03 AM

Haha my parents are moving to Florida and I am highly considering it!! Ha ha!

Is the factory starter similar to the aftermarket mopar starter I can just purchase and have installed myself? Or maybe you would recommend to have it installed at a jeep dealer.. Hmm decisions!!

ShoreWrangler 10-16-2012 08:16 AM

Anyone know if I can add a remote start to a MANUAL transmission JK?

I leave the house at 5am every day and it would be nice to have it all warmed up before climbing in on a 20 degree morning.

johnpmcelroy 10-16-2012 08:22 AM

Curious, does your jeep have remote alarm system, is so you are gonna have to do some research to integrate a remote start system. Start here
Remote Car Starters | Keyless Entry Remote Engine Start Systems
I've installed the Matrix 70.5 Alarm with remote start in my Isuzu Rodeo. You can program remote to do other things, turn on A/C, Heaters etc... My remote really comes in handy when its cold. And really handy when you about to leave work, raining, cold and want a warm car. I've started my car from approx 100 yards.

johnpmcelroy 10-16-2012 08:32 AM

Could not find wiring info for Unlimited, but for Wrangler 2009
2007-2011*Jeep*Wrangler*Vehicle Wiring Chart and Diagram

KittyPrawn 10-16-2012 08:52 AM

I love my remote start for winter. I've never really thought about using it in the summer to cool it down.

You can add a remote start to a manual transmission.

Jeepers Creepers Silver 10-16-2012 08:53 AM

I dig mine. I park my jeep outside so it is nice to be able to get her warmed up and defrosted by the time I get out there

jwilson2598 10-16-2012 10:08 AM

The factory remote start can be added to an automatic Jeep, but not manual trans. It also requires you to have the power convience group including keyless entry. You will get 2 new keys that are just like the existing ones, but have the remote start button on them. You can install most of it yourself, except the key module because once it's installed, the Jeep will not start anymore until the dealer flashes it with their scan tool. I had it on my 08, and my current 2013 and it's very handy in both hot and cold weather. The nice thing about the 2013 is that it has auto temp control, so I don't have to worry about remembering to turn the heat or A/C to high, it does it for me when I start it.

unionthug 10-18-2012 05:43 AM

May I ask of all of you wich route would be best, I want to add on my jeep but want to know would mopar remote be the best route or should I look for aftermarket?

ohioviper 10-18-2012 09:33 AM

The OEM remote start works great. Bought the OEM Jeep remote starter on ebay from Steve white motors. $230 took to dealership $150 for install. Like others said you must have the auto and the power convenience group including keyless entry for this to work. All you slower manual gearbox guys are screwed on this option.

2011 2012 Jeep Wrangler Remote Start Same as One Way Mopar Includes 2 Fobiks | eBay

Metonymy 10-18-2012 10:46 AM

I have a 2012. Just had the factory remote start kit installed yesterday actually.

It's nice to have it done. The winters here aren't super snowy, but they're cold, and it'll be nice not going outside in my shorts to start my Jeep 10 minutes before I leave so it warms up. Now it's just hitting the button and viola...

panthermark 10-18-2012 10:51 AM

Factory installed remote was a steal in 2012 ($200 option), and a total rip in 2013 ($495 option).

I got ripped... But it will be nice to start up the Jeep on really cold days while I'm still in the office. By the time I get to the parking lot, it will be good to go.

I believe the factory install has the start button on the keys, while the MOPAR kit uses a key fob.

Metonymy 10-18-2012 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panthermark (Post 2902720)
Factory installed remote was a steal in 2012 ($200 option), and a total rip in 2013 ($495 option).

I got ripped... But it will be nice to start up the Jeep on really cold days while I'm still in the office. By the time I get to the parking lot, it will be good to go.

I believe the factory install has the start button on the keys, while the MOPAR kit uses a key fob.

It's good that I bought the Mopar factory kit. Came with 2 new keys that have the remote start button integrated. This is the exact kit I bought:

2011 2012 Jeep Wrangler Remote Start by Mopar | eBay

$221 to my door. Dealer charged $230+tax to install including cutting/programming the new keys.

They had it shopped and it showed up in 3 days. And they're an actual CJD dealership, so as long as it's installed at a dealership, it has the warranty attached. My dealership wanted to see the "dealership receipt", so I chatted with them on eBay first to ensure they would send one. They did, no questions asked. My dealer was happy and was surprised at how much money I saved. (My dealer wanted $243+tax for the kit... I saved about $42 going online.)

No extra fob or anything, and still way cheaper than aftermarket options while still having factory warranty covering it. All good things IMO. :thumb:

panthermark 10-18-2012 11:26 AM

^That is good.

Very interesting....

MOPAR 82209982AH - MOPAR® Remote Start Installation Kit for 07-10 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK with Automatic Transmission - Quadratec

When you look at the pictures from your kit, and from the Quadratec kit, the "pictures" are of the same red jeep....but one hand has a key fob, while the other hand has an actual key.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/2011-2012-Jee...p8!~~60_35.JPG

http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Imag...74-add1-lg.jpg

http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Imag...4/75674-lg.jpg

The pic of the actual package includes two key fobs, not keys.

Moral of the story? Triple check what you are getting.

ohioviper 10-18-2012 04:32 PM

The kit I got off Ebay is an OEM Jeep/ Chrysler kit that includes 2 new keys with the remote start button that the dealer will cut and program when they do the install .It is exact same one they put in at the factory.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/2011-2012-JEE...+DpFmQ~~_3.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330616598100...84.m1439.l2649

steed77 10-18-2012 04:38 PM

Yep that OEM kit works fantastic

unionthug 10-18-2012 08:30 PM

I contacted the Jeep dealership here and was quoted $225 for parts and $550 labor for a 2007 Unlimited Sahara seems a bit much. I have dealt with Steve White and love the way they've treat me. But on their site my year is not covered

ltsrapcon 10-18-2012 08:46 PM

Have the factory installed remote starter on my 2012 JKU and I love it. Hot days, cold mornings. Its great.

jwilson2598 10-18-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unionthug
I contacted the Jeep dealership here and was quoted $225 for parts and $550 labor for a 2007 Unlimited Sahara seems a bit much. I have dealt with Steve White and love the way they've treat me. But on their site my year is not covered

Yeah, the option for integrated remote start didn't start until 08.

unionthug 10-18-2012 09:04 PM

Well, Ok that settles it.

ohioviper 10-18-2012 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unionthug (Post 2904381)

Call around to a couple more dealers and price it.

truthiness 10-18-2012 09:39 PM

what about range on the OEM remote. I've heard it's only 600', where some of the other aftermarket starters are 1/4 mile.

spiegljb 10-18-2012 09:52 PM

i wish i had an automatic

scuba_steve 10-18-2012 10:08 PM

I have the factory remote start on my 2013 JKR. Didn't want it, but the Jeep had all of the other options I wanted (4.10 rear, etc) so I bought it...and now I use it all of the time...just because I can.

I scared the hell out of some people hanging out by my Jeep the other day in a parking lot. One actually jumped. Wife and I tried hard not to laugh. Money well spent.

sincerely,
old guy who refuses to grow up.

BeyondYourFrontDoor 10-18-2012 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShoreWrangler (Post 2895118)
Anyone know if I can add a remote start to a MANUAL transmission JK?

I leave the house at 5am every day and it would be nice to have it all warmed up before climbing in on a 20 degree morning.

You can if you find an installer that will do it. On mine, when I turn off the key, it keeps running until I either open and close the door, or hit the brake. The idea being you can't get out of the Jeep while it is running and in gear, so the chances of starting it, with it in gear, are reduced.

Notice I say REDUCED, because there is no 100% way to prevent someone leaving it in gear and it starting... which is a problem... one that most installers don't want to deal with.

If I had an auto, I'd get the factory kit. Maybe a bit more, but it's always way easier, and down the road when it stops working, aftermarket units are a pain. They have to chop and splice, and that's a recipe for problems.