Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   JKUR Rock rail rub with 35's installed (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/jkur-rock-rail-rub-with-35s-installed-193612.html)

tomgillotti 10-16-2012 02:00 PM

JKUR Rock rail rub with 35's installed

2 Attachment(s)
I installed the Teraflex 2.5" lift and pro comp 35x12.5x17r tires on my 2013 Rubicon. Now whenever I flex the rear tires even a little bit I get a rubbing in the rear in the rock rails themselves as well as the metal behind the rock rail. If I remove the rock rails, the metal behind the rock rails will still be there and will rub. I'm assuming I just have to cut this.

Anyone run into this?

If so, what were your solutions?

tomgillotti 10-16-2012 02:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not sure why it posted the same picture twice... here's another.

kjeeper10 10-16-2012 02:04 PM

4351 Attachment(s)
Called the pitch seem. PM KBwolf for his write up. It might be a sticky actually ?

Ken

kramer2k 10-16-2012 02:29 PM

Hey Tom, I just cut my pinch seam and Rubi rails over the weekend. It's an easy job if you have the tool. I used a RotoZip and cutting wheel on the pinch seam and a reciprocating saw on the Rubi rail.

Obviously you'll need to remove the Rubi rails, but that's very easy. Three large bolts and 6 smaller ones hold it to the Jeep.

Then just tape off and cut in a smooth, straight motion. Try to do it with one motion rather than stopping and starting.

I then filed off the burrs and painted the exposed metal on each item.

You can check my build thread for some information as well.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/kra...ml#post2886558

Wharfrat 10-16-2012 02:30 PM

Yep, remove the rails and trim them, then trim the pinch seam.

Just don't cut too far into the pinch seam or you will leave behind a gaping hole when you are done.

CombatChuk 10-16-2012 02:34 PM

You could also get a set rear control arms that will push the axle back and center the wheel in the well.

kbwwolf 10-16-2012 02:50 PM

Here's a write up I did this winter, when I cut mine. Doesn't include Rubi rails...I didn't have em on my Jeep.

Not difficult to do. The most time-consuming step is rustproofing/painting.

Cutting your pinch seam

tomgillotti 10-16-2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbwwolf
Here's a write up I did this winter, when I cut mine. Doesn't include Rubi rails...I didn't have em on my Jeep.

Not difficult to do. The most time-consuming step is rustproofing/painting.

Cutting your pinch seam

Very nice! If only I had these tools really available...

kjeeper10 10-16-2012 03:27 PM

4351 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by CombatChuk
You could also get a set rear control arms that will push the axle back and center the wheel in the well.

I was thinking this as well, but he would need uppers and lowers. Not worth it for what he needs to do.

flatsfisher83 10-16-2012 03:32 PM

Here you go. Not telling you to do it, but if you decide to, there's the write up people are talking about.

kbwwolf 10-16-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomgillotti (Post 2896310)
Very nice! If only I had these tools really available...

The only thing that really costs any $$ is the Sawzall. Probably somebody you know has one...I've seen posts on JKF where guys cut their pinch seams with a Dremel, but it apparently takes several bits to get it done, and you gotta be careful not to burn the Dremel up. :D

Then there's the BFH method, which I wouldn't recommend. Just seems kinda...prehistoric. Could just be me.

Borrowing (or renting, another option) a Sawzall would be the way to go.

kramer2k 10-16-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbwwolf (Post 2896380)
The only thing that really costs any $$ is the Sawzall. Probably somebody you know has one...I've seen posts on JKF where guys cut their pinch seams with a Dremel, but it apparently takes several bits to get it done, and you gotta be careful not to burn the Dremel up. :D

That's what I did essentially. But I used a RotoZip on my pinch seam. My RotoZip is basically a Dremel on steroids. All metal construction and beefy as hell! Selectable RPMs from 15K up to 30K. :punk:

I used a metal cutoff wheel and slowly progressed along my tape line. The cutoff wheel I used:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

I didn't feel comfortable making a diagonal cut through the changing contours of the pinch seam with my recipricating saw. The rail, on the otherhand, was a breeze with the sawzall.

kbwwolf 10-16-2012 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer2k (Post 2896419)
That's what I did essentially. But I used a RotoZip on my pinch seam. My RotoZip is basically a Dremel on steroids. All metal construction and beefy as hell! Selectable RPMs from 15K up to 30K. :punk:

I used a metal cutting bit and slowly progressed along my tape line. I didn't feel comfortable making a diagonal cut through the changing contours of the pinch seam with my recipricating saw. The rail, on the otherhand, was a breeze with the sawzall.

30K? Who makes the RotoZip? Sounds like yet another must-have tool. Although, in my mind, they're all must-haves. :D

I actually avoided cutting into the "pocket" – the varying contours you mentioned above – and simply cut off the protruding triangle of the pinch seam itself. That's all I needed, for my setup. I think if you actually had to cut into the pocket, the whole process would be a lot more involved, in terms of filling, rustproofing, and painting.