Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   No 4X4...I know..I know... Help please (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/no-4x4-i-know-i-know-help-please-193738.html)

JonJon2997 10-17-2012 09:02 AM

No 4X4...I know..I know... Help please

So I just bought my first Jeep, a 2009 Unlimited X, and it has no 4X4 on it. I intend on switching it over to a 4X4 but im having trouble figuring out exactly what I need to do. Im assming I need a enw transfer case, new axle, and new drive shaft... Is that all I need? and also does anyone know where I might find the used parts for it...

My first jeep so im new to the community and there isnt a lot of info on Adding 4x4 to a jeep do to the fact that 99% of them already ahve 4x4 lol

jksport12 10-17-2012 09:07 AM

It's a lot of work. Not easy bolt ons. It'll be pretty pricey. You'll need new transfer, front driveshaft, axles, differential, hubs, springs/shocks, and possibly more. It's possible but it'll cost some. Plus you may need to do some trans tunnel work for the shifter on the transfer. Good luck man.

the Kolector 10-17-2012 09:08 AM

That gonna be quite the undertaking, maybe not worth the investment. You'll need the center console, shifter, linkage as well I'd imagine. The general consensus may end up being not worth it and to trade it, even though you just bought it. Good luck on the swap if you do it. I'm interested to see how it works out for you.

lolpetewtf 10-17-2012 09:11 AM

I don't understand why people buy 4x2s then plan on making them 4x4. Bad idea people!

JonJon2997 10-17-2012 09:13 AM

I got a sweet deal on it... 2009 unlimited X with 54K miles for $15,000...Lady getting rid of her ex-husbands car after a divorce. So you guys figure more than 3K to change it over?...if so ill probably just trade it for a 4x4 model

Farnham21 10-17-2012 09:14 AM

Why would u do that to yourself. I can't understand why anyone would ever buy a SUV or even worse 2wd pick ups if you live in the north. Cutting cost one way always adds more cost in the long run

Farnham21 10-17-2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonJon2997
I got a sweet deal on it... 2009 unlimited X with 54K miles for $15,000...Lady getting rid of her ex-husbands car after a divorce. So you guys figure more than 3K to change it over?...if so ill probably just trade it for a 4x4 model

If you got a great deal on it private seller wise you might be able to trade it an break out even with it. Get a 12+ go big why not yolo

MTH 10-17-2012 09:18 AM

I had always HEARD the opposite of what's being said here (read: No first hand experience), namely--that it's pretty straightforward.

You need a t-case and a shifting mechanism, a driveshaft, and axles, gears, and the related hardware, but I was under the impression that was it.

My recollection was there were a few guys on another forum that had done it, and if you did your own work it didn't sound too bad. Especially if you could find salvaged OEM components, or if you were looking for upgraded components and didn't want to pay for an OEM axle, gears, driveshaft, and maybe even t-case you were going to pull out anyway.

I could be totally wrong though--like I said, this is just what I've heard. I've never actually seen a 2wd JK or gotten underneath one to see what looks to be necessary.

lolpetewtf 10-17-2012 09:19 AM

HE SAID YOLO! lol come on now...Anyway, it could turn out to be a cool project if you have another car as a DD. You would learn a lot I'm sure.

jksport12 10-17-2012 09:19 AM

You are definantly looking at more than $3k. Its a lot of work. If you can do it yourself you will save some. Its like going from an automatic to a manual. Lots of parts and fabrication needed. The best advice I can give is trade it in. If you want numbers look up some stock replacement parts for a 4x4. Should give you an idea of cost parts wise. Not including labor.

kik 10-17-2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonJon2997 (Post 2898502)

A lot more than 3K. Whether you need 4wd or just want it get a JK with 4WD. Your deal was ok but not great. There is extremely limited demand for 2WD Wranglers. If you got it for 15K and it had 4wd, and it was in excellent condition, then that might have been a good deal. Not what you want to hear, but it's not about being warm and fuzzy here.

JonJon2997 10-17-2012 09:26 AM

Yeah thats what I wanted was honesty. It has a 3 inch lift and brand new wheels and 33 inch tires on it, so i figured I would make out under 20K in the end by adding the 4x4...most of the JK 4 doors I saw online were ruinning 22-23K so I thought I was good.... You live and learn I guess I do ahve 2 good, free mechanics too though... still questioning it now though

MTH 10-17-2012 09:28 AM

Here, check these threads:

2wd to 4wd Conversion ?

2wd or 4wd

The latter thread has this quote:

Quote:

I did the conversion to my sahara. I went with stock parts at the time due to me just wanting a 4x4 for cheap rather than saving for 60's etc. The swap is easy. It is simply swapping out the fake 2x4 front axle, T-case, transmission input shaft(auto), front and rear driveshafts, adding a skid plate for the tcase and running the shifter cable. I have not yet flashed the computer but I believe the only difference is my 4wd light doesnt illuminate and I have to manually disable my traction control etc.. Once you get under the jeep, you will be amazed how easy it is.. Im really surprised more people do not do this when the initial plan is go big anyways...hope this helps give you the confidence to do the swap
So it's been done. I just haven't seen it done around here. :hide:

JeepCreeper 10-17-2012 09:39 AM

I was not aware that there were non 4-wheel drive Wranglers.

That just seems wrong. :)

kik 10-17-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonJon2997 (Post 2898543)
Yeah thats what I wanted was honesty. It has a 3 inch lift and brand new wheels and 33 inch tires on it, so i figured I would make out under 20K in the end by adding the 4x4...most of the JK 4 doors I saw online were ruinning 22-23K so I thought I was good.... You live and learn I guess I do ahve 2 good, free mechanics too though... still questioning it now though

Having the lift, wheels and tires does make it a better deal, but unless you can get donor vehicle parts and free labor it will be expensive. Do the math and then make your decision; price out new/used parts plus free/paid labor and then decide. Don't forget the electronics that are involved. Plus, if you want to sell down the road I think a conversion would still be questioned by the majority of buyers and you probably won't get the $ out of it. I wouldn't do it but it's your decision. Until you run the numbers what we say here is speculation.

kik 10-17-2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepCreeper (Post 2898571)
I was not aware that there were non 4-wheel drive Wranglers.

That just seems wrong. :)

Up until 2010.

Smokinjoe 10-17-2012 09:48 AM

Trade it in you will be into it over 20K easily:rolleyes:

sj

3JKs1H1 10-17-2012 09:58 AM

You'll need a rear driveshaft too. (Your's is too long since it spans the length of the "missing" transfer case)

j.e.b. 10-17-2012 10:00 AM

I looked into this for a Toyota Tacoma I had about 6 years ago. I gave it up because every garage I talked to cringed at the amount of work and money it would take to do it. I would take that jeep and trade it in for a 4wd. You could go with a older model and even recoup some of your money that you could then use for upgrades and improvements. All in all its always best to start with something as close to your end goal ad possible. You'll save yourself some headaches.

lolpetewtf 10-17-2012 10:04 AM

Trade it to a dealer on a newer JK - they may not even notice it is 2WD. Seriously.

GeckoJK 10-17-2012 10:04 AM

This could be an opportunity for a built JK but it will be costly. If you are going to do a transfer case, axles, ect might as well put stronger axles, better t-case and maybe a locker in there!

panthermark 10-17-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farnham21 (Post 2898504)
Why would u do that to yourself. I can't understand why anyone would ever buy a SUV or even worse 2wd pick ups if you live in the north. Cutting cost one way always adds more cost in the long run

Agreed.....except for one part. The OP lives in South Carolina.... Can't exactly call him a yankee.....

Dogzilla 10-17-2012 10:11 AM

You're not gonna get anything on a trade....better to sell it to someone who doesn't need 4wd, but wants the look.

fan of fanboys 10-17-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panthermark

Agreed.....except for one part. The OP lives in South Carolina.... Can't exactly call him a yankee.....

If he lives in SC and doesn't plan serious off roading that needs 4x4 he could just use a front e-locker and I assume he has LSD in the rear. If not change to rear LSD or even a rear locker. That'll handle all the bad weather we get and most light or even moderate off roading.
Since it already has the lift and tires he has the rugged tough look.
And that's pretty much all women, and even average guys, care about. So can impress dates and buddies.

pluke the 2 10-17-2012 10:16 AM

actually, the hardcore guys will buy 4x2's and convert and swap out everything. its the most cost effective way to build a rock crawler for those who know what they're doing.

3JKs1H1 10-17-2012 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fan of fanboys (Post 2898656)
If he lives in SC and doesn't plan serious off roading that needs 4x4 he could just use a front e-locker and I assume he has LSD in the rear.

Where is the front elocker going to go?

Frshmt 10-17-2012 11:03 AM

Where in the Hell are you people coming up with your numbers??

Axles- $1000 for Sport, $1500 for Rubi
T-case- $500 for Sport, $1000 for Rubi
Driveshafts- $625 for aftermarket at Stomper Offroad
I'd say in the $500 range for the other knick-knacks.

If you go in with Rubi stuff and get raped on everything you MAY hit $20k, but really, most of it can be had for ~$2500

jannikt 10-17-2012 12:11 PM

In addition to the "hardware" (front axle, transfer case, drive shaft, etc.) you will need to deal with the "software", i.e. flash and upload the engine and transmission computers with the info for a 4WD.

It's much easier to just sell it and buy a new or used 4x4. Unfortunately the resale value of a 2WD JKU is not very good (for obvious reasons). But maybe you will get lucky.

Frogy 10-17-2012 12:37 PM

I wouldn't worry about the "software" too much, but if you did you might figure a couple of hundred dollars, that is if the wiring is present. I agree that the hardware should be in the 2-3k range. I looked and was able to find an 07 with 58K for about 14.9K, but most were well above 20K. I would imagine that the OP will lose money on trading. It should really come down to a formula with the want and ability to do the work being the tie breaker if it is close.

That being said I would do it just because other people thought it might be hard

2five22 10-17-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jannikt (Post 2898946)
In addition to the "hardware" (front axle, transfer case, drive shaft, etc.) you will need to deal with the "software", i.e. flash and upload the engine and transmission computers with the info for a 4WD.

It's much easier to just sell it and buy a new or used 4x4. Unfortunately the resale value of a 2WD JKU is not very good (for obvious reasons). But maybe you will get lucky.

This.

The easy days of taking a van, an El Camino, or a car and slapping on a front axle, front leaf springs, a transfer case, etc. and turning it into a off road machine over a weekend disappeared with ABBA and Fleetwood Mac.