Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Colorado Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f60/)
-   -   Re-gear (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f60/re-gear-193955.html)

ospreyguy 10-18-2012 11:52 AM

Re-gear
 
Okay guys, I had to take a long hard look at my jeeping habits and was really close to selling the blacksheep and moving on to something more practical.

I have been offroad once this year and it didn't even require 4x4. In FL (moved here in Feb) I only went out maybe 4 times and nothing was crazy. I was going to sell her and get a Frontier but since it's paid for and I have one kid in pre-school costing $500 a month I decided to wait.

So here is where the re-gear comes in. I am running 33's on a 4" lift and the other day I drove up to Blackhawk for a little casino time. At some points on the road the MAX speed I was able to get to was 15-20 mph in the mountains. That is crap. I need to know how I should be geared so I can travel westerly and not cry from the pain and embarrassment.

I am pretty certain I have stick gears and I know with 33's that a no-no. I do drive on the interstate to work everyday so a top speed of 55 isn't a good idea either.

Please let me know what you guys think I should re-gear to. Thanks!

jagerhelix 10-18-2012 12:37 PM

I'd hate to see you sell the jeep off because you haven't been able to get her on a more challenging trail as there are a ton here that will require 4Lo nearly the entire time.

I have and still feel your pain on I70 though, my JK is a real dog with 3:73s and 35s and that's with a 3.8. My tj with the 4.0 was much quicker. but I was also on 31s with 3.73s.

Not very helpful post I know, I never re geared my TJ. I'm sure someone will have a good answer for you.

Side note... You are from Florida and your name is OSPREYGUY, did you work at Hurlburt field?

Colo-TJ 10-18-2012 01:21 PM

4:10 would probably be a good middle of the road for you.

GSPup 10-18-2012 03:37 PM

I loved 4.56's on 33's. with 4.10's you'll still be wanting more going up I70.

RowJ 10-18-2012 04:48 PM

You don't list you tranny....and have no info in Jeep profile.
But for a manual shifter, you want no taller gears that 4.56's.
That will result in 2500 rpm +/- at 65 mph. Just about perfect.
If mostly off roading, that can be revised to 4.88's.

RJ

gunslinger9155 10-19-2012 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ospreyguy (Post 2902723)
Okay guys, I had to take a long hard look at my jeeping habits and was really close to selling the blacksheep and moving on to something more practical.

I have been offroad once this year and it didn't even require 4x4. In FL (moved here in Feb) I only went out maybe 4 times and nothing was crazy. I was going to sell her and get a Frontier but since it's paid for and I have one kid in pre-school costing $500 a month I decided to wait.

So here is where the re-gear comes in. I am running 33's on a 4" lift and the other day I drove up to Blackhawk for a little casino time. At some points on the road the MAX speed I was able to get to was 15-20 mph in the mountains. That is crap. I need to know how I should be geared so I can travel westerly and not cry from the pain and embarrassment.

I am pretty certain I have stick gears and I know with 33's that a no-no. I do drive on the interstate to work everyday so a top speed of 55 isn't a good idea either.

Please let me know what you guys think I should re-gear to. Thanks!

Man I feel your pain. My little 4cyl struggles with 31s. New gears are very high on my priority list. I'm just greatful my rig is not a daily driver.

I was recommended this link a while back. Hopefully it will be of some use to you.

Novak Conversions - Gearing & Gearing Math for Jeeps

ospreyguy 10-19-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jagerhelix (Post 2902884)
Side note... You are from Florida and your name is OSPREYGUY, did you work at Hurlburt field?

Ha! No, I get that a lot. I actually went to University of N Florida home Ospreys!

ospreyguy 10-19-2012 05:20 PM

Thanks guys! I will look at my options but I am leaning to a 4:10 as I still want some top end speed.

GSPup 10-19-2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ospreyguy
Thanks guys! I will look at my options but I am leaning to a 4:10 as I still want some top end speed.

I could cruise 80 with my 4.56's. You won't be happy with 4.10's it's not a significant difference from 3.07 or 3.73's (not sure what yours are?) your 5th gear will struggle in the mountains even with 4.56's.

Hopefully someone with 4.10's will chime in.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:42 AM.