Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Why am I using so much enigne coolant? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/why-am-i-using-so-much-enigne-coolant-194536.html)

sakicnut 10-21-2012 04:55 PM

Why am I using so much enigne coolant?

We had a new raditor put in over the summer, new houses too. Flushed the whole systerm and all. And i just had a new water pump put in it too. But i noticed about every week i lose all my enigne coolant! I've refilled it multiple times, but i haven't noticed any leaks at all on the ground... What could be wrong with it?

jherrington 10-21-2012 05:00 PM

If you don't see any on the ground, take it for a drive get it nice and warmed up. bring it back to your house, let it idle and see if you get any drips when its on. Get under the jeep and see if any of your hoses are wet, sometimes things only leak when driving and dont drip in the driveway.
If you still dont see any leaks, just turn it on and let it sit in the driveway. some coolant leaks dont leak when warm because of the built up pressure holding everything from leaking. then see if you get any drips and wet hoses.

Check your coolant color, is it brown? it might be that you are loosing coolant due to a crack in your engine block.

SeVeReDiStOrTiOn 10-21-2012 05:14 PM

Are you getting white smoke out the pipe? Going through that much coolant with no leaks is usually a head/head gasket issue. I'd check the coolant for combustion gases and do a pressure check.

What year and engine is your jeep?

scott howard 10-21-2012 05:21 PM

pull your oil dip stick and make sure that your oil is not milky white.

sakicnut 10-21-2012 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jherrington
If you don't see any on the ground, take it for a drive get it nice and warmed up. bring it back to your house, let it idle and see if you get any drips when its on. Get under the jeep and see if any of your hoses are wet, sometimes things only leak when driving and dont drip in the driveway.
If you still dont see any leaks, just turn it on and let it sit in the driveway. some coolant leaks dont leak when warm because of the built up pressure holding everything from leaking. then see if you get any drips and wet hoses.

Check your coolant color, is it brown? it might be that you are loosing coolant due to a crack in your engine block.

Engine coolant is still green

sakicnut 10-21-2012 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Are you getting white smoke out the pipe? Going through that much coolant with no leaks is usually a head/head gasket issue. I'd check the coolant for combustion gases and do a pressure check.

I'll take it tomorrow and get that looked at.. Not white smoke tho

sakicnut 10-21-2012 06:32 PM

Quote:

It's a 97 4 banger

jherrington 10-21-2012 07:20 PM

When you replaced all of that, did you correctly burp the air out of the coolant lines/engine block?

sakicnut 10-21-2012 07:55 PM

I had the engine coolant filled up past the fill mark line and now it's fell below it again. All i did was turn it on and drove it about 10 yards.. Wasn't even on for more thatn 45 seconds?? :banghead:

SeVeReDiStOrTiOn 10-21-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sakicnut (Post 2912363)
I had the engine coolant filled up past the fill mark line and now it's fell below it again. All i did was turn it on and drove it about 10 yards.. Wasn't even on for more thatn 45 seconds?? :banghead:

When you say " i noticed about every week i lose all my enigne coolant!" do you mean ALL of your coolant is gone or just the overflow bottle? There's a big difference especially when you just had the system drained and filled.

crallscars 10-21-2012 08:06 PM

I use coolant too.

I have to refill my coolant tank about once a month, I have a new radiator, replaced all the hoses, thermostat & gasket, and water pump.

I can smell the coolant outside the jeep after a long drive, but I can't find a leak anywhere. No bubbles in the radiator, no white smoke from the tail pipe, runs excellent, oh and my carpet is dry.

Been using this much water for the past 80,000 to 100,000 miles

sakicnut 10-21-2012 08:13 PM

Yeah overflow bottle against radiator

sakicnut 10-21-2012 08:14 PM

Quote:

When you say " i noticed about every week i lose all my enigne coolant!" do you mean ALL of your coolant is gone or just the overflow bottle? There's a big difference especially when you just had the system drained and filled.

Coolant bottle*

LoneHowler 10-21-2012 08:19 PM

You could be loosing through steam.
My old ford explorer looses coolant regularly but no drips. Get it real hot at night, then open up the hood with a flashlight to find your steam leak

grunt0311 10-21-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jherrington (Post 2912207)
When you replaced all of that, did you correctly burp the air out of the coolant lines/engine block?

can you explain this procedure, i to recently replaced my radiator.. havn't noticed a problem with losing fluid, i just have had to keep adding some to my overflow container.

sakicnut 10-21-2012 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunt0311 (Post 2912508)
can you explain this procedure, i to recently replaced my radiator.. havn't noticed a problem with losing fluid, i just have had to keep adding some to my overflow container.

see that's what's happening to me too

jherrington 10-21-2012 10:24 PM

Park your jeep on an upslope to aid the air to come out. Open the radiator cap, the actual radiator cap.(while the engine is cold) and see if you're low on coolant. Fill up with 50/50 mix of water an coolant. Crank it up with the cap still off for a minute or so, then continue filling the radiator. It should "burp" the air out of the system, provided their is air in there.

Neil F. 10-22-2012 05:14 AM

You can have a minor leak that only shows up when the system is pressurized and evaporates when it's hot. You can have the system pressure tested or better have UV dye added to the system Most auto shops have it. The you come back in a couple days and they hit it with a black light. It shows up clear as can be exactly where it is leaking.

sakicnut 10-22-2012 09:31 AM

Woke up and drove it too school this morning and no coolant was gone from the bottle like it normally was.. But it seems as if something else is leaking

Evpjr 10-22-2012 09:36 AM

Better start looking for a new heater core, sounds like you might need one1

sakicnut 10-22-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evpjr
Better start looking for a new heater core, sounds like you might need one1

Better than replacing the head

Blind Dog 10-22-2012 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sakicnut (Post 2914268)
Better than replacing the head

The part is cheaper, but the labor is intensive.

Neil F. 10-22-2012 12:10 PM

Don't assume it is either one until you get it checked.

fourty4magjr 10-22-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neil f. (Post 2914291)
don't assume it is either one until you get it checked.

x2

AbsolutCaptain 10-22-2012 02:54 PM

Try checking the under side of your hood. And also the top gasket of the radiator. I had a similar problem. Turned out the replacement radiator had a bad seal and it was slowly leaking out and burning up and evaporating. So I also had no visible leaks.

sevenservices 10-22-2012 03:11 PM

I had one where the overflow had a crack in the bottom. Once it got hot, it would seep out and run down the frame. Very hard to find, it wasn't until I took the overflow out that I could see it discolored and cracked on the bottom side.

sakicnut 10-25-2012 05:41 PM

From what I gather by engine coolant on my fan I believe I need a new radiator cap.. When I squeeze my top radiator hose a little bit of coolant comes outta the cap.. Gonna replace it and see if it fixes before my wheelin trip

tbensor 10-25-2012 09:35 PM

I just replaced my radiator and experienced simular issues. Mune was leaking at the overflow tube where it connects to the cap. Put a clamp on it and problem seems to be solved.

sakicnut 10-29-2012 10:00 AM

Well yesterday we tighten up all the raditor hoses and no leaks at all yesterday... Drove it around quite a bit after that too. Drive it too school this morning and their is fluid everywhere on the front end.. Their is a coolant smell but that is from where the rest of the left over coolant burned off. But now i'm worried that the leak is somewhere major now.. :banghead:

jherrington 10-29-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sakicnut
Well yesterday we tighten up all the raditor hoses and no leaks at all yesterday... Drove it around quite a bit after that too. Drive it too school this morning and their is fluid everywhere on the front end.. Their is a coolant smell but that is from where the rest of the left over coolant burned off. But now i'm worried that the leak is somewhere major now.. :banghead:

As long as your radiator and bottle are full, there is nothing to worry about.