Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   sticker removing (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/sticker-removing-194545.html)

fua76 10-21-2012 05:54 PM

sticker removing

Looking to remove the decals from a 2012 jk any suggestions

ohioviper 10-21-2012 06:40 PM

Pick a corner loose and peel them off. Then clean with goo gone.Then wash with some good soap and water. Then wax.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/pu...-dPaUJo=s220-c

fua76 10-21-2012 06:59 PM

Yea i tried peeling a corner it was hard so i stopped its a brand new jeep thought there might be a trick thanks

Arsonman 10-21-2012 07:03 PM

Loosen with a hair dryer, then peel from a corner.

KYFootDoc 10-21-2012 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arsonman

This

Justinpar 10-21-2012 08:37 PM

Hair dryer and goo gone is what I used... Once the sticker is peeled it helps to use an old credit card or the like to get the remaining glue

creativethien 10-21-2012 08:50 PM

Just did this the other day, I used a hot air gun then used Goo gone for the sticky stuff left over.

MaJaWa 10-21-2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyfootdoc (Post 2912193)
this

+2

AverageJK 10-21-2012 09:07 PM

finger nails and goo gone

DarthJeep 10-21-2012 09:09 PM

I used Wd40. Worked great.

bonaldgonza 10-21-2012 09:22 PM

Loosen with a hair dryer, then peel from a corner. http://www.qrtd.info/6.jpghttp://www.duanniu.info/d.jpg

Raziel 10-21-2012 09:44 PM

If using a hair dryer, just make sure you aren't to close to the decal. You don't want to burn the clear coat. But, just using your nail to get one of the corners up is easy. Then just peel it off. You can always put adhesive remover on it first & let that work for a minute or 2 & then try peeling it.

LoneHowler 10-21-2012 09:56 PM

Once old bumper stickers start looking ratty I'll usually take it to the local car wash, carefully aim the power nozzle and blast it off with hot soap and water. It's off in seconds. Goo gone will get rid if any left over stickyness

dgrady77 10-22-2012 01:29 AM

Goo Gone is great for the glue after you scrape the actual decal off. When I worked at an ambulance service, our mechanic told me brake fluid works just as well. For the actual scraping, you can buy plastic razor blades, but I'm not sure they'd work any better than a credit card, like Justinpar suggested.

JB71 10-22-2012 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgrady77 (Post 2913355)
Goo Gone is great for the glue after you scrape the actual decal off. When I worked at an ambulance service, our mechanic told me brake fluid works just as well. For the actual scraping, you can buy plastic razor blades, but I'm not sure they'd work any better than a credit card, like Justinpar suggested.

:eek: Brake fluid will absolutely take the sticker off.....and the paint!

Don't use brake fluid.

I just peeled mine with my fingers and a little goo gone after to clean up any residue left over, done.

mcgee10 10-22-2012 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JB71 (Post 2913403)
:eek: Brake fluid will absolutely take the sticker off.....and the paint!

Don't use brake fluid.

I just peeled mine with my fingers and a little goo gone after to clean up any residue left over, done.

X10 Never use brake fluid. Sure it will take the sticker off right down to the bare metal. Brake fluid is a great paint stripper.
Where do people get these ideas from.:nonono:

Jakob101st 10-22-2012 08:58 AM

I used a heat gun (but be very careful and keep it at distance because it's too much heat and will soften the paint). Then GooGone and soap/water/wax.

If you do the front JEEP emblem don't use a heat gun because the emblems keep the heat and can mar the softened paint if you aren't careful. Just use floss/fishing line behind to cut the cushions and use your finger to rub the rest then finish with GooGone. I tried pulling them off and the emblem dug into the paint a bit. Live and learn. Still came out fiine in the end but I had to offset my emblem a bit to cover the issue.

dgrady77 10-22-2012 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcgee10 (Post 2913419)
Where do people get these ideas from.:nonono:

I dunno, but I watched him do it. Maybe it was transmission fluid. That would make more sense... sort of. Either way, Goo Gone still gets my vote.

DozerJK 10-23-2012 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arsonman (Post 2912152)

Just did this ^ the other day and worked fine... washed excess glue off with a little goo gone... :thumb:

Orange Peel 10-23-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DozerJK (Post 2917187)
Just did this ^ the other day and worked fine... washed excess glue off with a little goo gone... :thumb:

I left mine in the sun for a couple of hours, peeled SLOWLY from one corner. Decals came off nicely in one piece. I bought Turtle Wax Label and Adhesive Remover. Sprayed it on the adhesive. It was amazing. Just disolved the adhesive, and I wiped with a cloth. Came right off. Couldn't have been easier. That stuff is great.

NWranglerS 10-30-2012 09:50 PM

Thinking about removing the sport sticker from the side of my jeep and keeping the wrangler sticker, or possibly removing both all together. Has anyone done this and kept it all blank, or are you usually adding your own sticker. Would like to put my own sticker on but haven't come across one yet.

On a side note a bunch of glue was left on the rear or my jeep from where the dealer put their sticker.. Goo gone took it right off

carlynbeatrix 12-11-2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fua76 (Post 2911950)
Looking to remove the decals from a 2012 jk any suggestions

Dear you can use the hair drier for removal of the decals. The heat of hair drier will make it possible to remove these, but be careful while pealing off, use the nails to remove and remove them gradually from one corner. wish you good luck dear.

VaderJK12 12-11-2012 12:38 PM

I have not removed any decals yet, bought the Jeep back in March, if I were to remove the "sport" decal will there be a difference in color? I'm not sure if over a period of time the paint fades, etc.

OffRoadWarrior 12-11-2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgrady77 (Post 2916735)
I dunno, but I watched him do it. Maybe it was transmission fluid. That would make more sense... sort of. Either way, Goo Gone still gets my vote.

I've always used gasoline as a makeshift solvent when in a pinch. It'll remove just about everything except the paint.

Orange Peel 12-11-2012 02:46 PM

Turtle Wax makes a product called "Label & Adhesive Remover" I know......it's such an original name, but it works very well in getting the sticker glue off. So fast that you better be prepared to wipe with a cloth when you spray it on.

RoadiJeff 12-11-2012 06:08 PM

About the first thing I do when I bring a new vehicle home is to remove any dealer decals and their license plate frame. Unless they agree to pay me $50 per month for advertising it all comes off.

Unlike the good old days when dealers would pop rivet :eek: their name to the trunk lid, those decals come off easily when you heat them up for a minute with a hair dryer. Then just start at a corner and they peel right off. Any adhesive residue cleans up with something like Goo Gone.

BillyPete 12-11-2012 07:14 PM

I used a rag with a small amount of acetone to remove the sticker glue off, one swipe and it was clean. No paint or shine damage either.

cphilip 12-11-2012 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff (Post 3093342)
About the first thing I do when I bring a new vehicle home is to remove any dealer decals and their license plate frame. Unless they agree to pay me $50 per month for advertising it all comes off...

Amen... They didn't pay me to advertize for them so it all comes off... even that new spare tire cover they nicely painted their name around "Jeep" came right off.

Mine had all its side decals gone from the previous owner. Looks clean and neat. The only thing on it is the one drivers side Trail Rated coin.

VaderJK12 12-13-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff (Post 3093342)
About the first thing I do when I bring a new vehicle home is to remove any dealer decals and their license plate frame. Unless they agree to pay me $50 per month for advertising it all comes off.

I do the same with the dealer sticker. I removed that the day after I brought the Jeep home.

I still have the side decals on though. I'd like to at least remove the Sport decal.

Timberline 12-13-2012 11:27 AM

Use the hair dryer method or for real stubborn decals I use a 3M product in a red and white can that you just spray and it gets rid of all that nasty glue residue.