Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/)
-   -   So how hard is it to steal a Wrangler? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/so-how-hard-is-it-to-steal-a-wrangler-194704.html)

lordmike 10-22-2012 07:54 AM

So how hard is it to steal a Wrangler?

So I own a 99 TJ Sport with a soft top. Shortly after I moved to Buffalo NY it was broken into and my stereo was stolen. For those of you who don't know, Buffalo is a disgusting anus of a city. The geniuses who stole my stereo chiseled the door lock off which is proof why were highly intelligent because cutting my soft top would have clearly been the more difficult choice. I reinstalled a garbage deck from a 96 Caravan and have taken to leaving the doors unlocked at night. So this morning I come out and discover that somebody had gotten into it again. There isn't anything to take but they weren't smart enough to close the glove box, which is how I discovered they had stopped by. But now I'm worried that if they know it is unlocked they might take that as an invitation to take my whole damned Jeep. What do you guys think about this? Should I be worried? My feeling is if they weren't smart enough to cut my soft top then they probably aren't smart enough to figure out an ignition, but I don't know.

Moose5 10-22-2012 08:02 AM

I remember one Time I lost the keys to my 09 jk while on a camping trip, so me and my pops tried to Hotwire the Jeep so we could get back home. We got to ignition, and it would run for a few seconds then shut off. The newer models require a computer chip from the key to be in the ignition, or else it won't stay on. I would look into your jeep model and year and find out if that's the same case.

Btw, we luckily found the key:P

mstjwrangler 10-22-2012 08:40 AM

Someone tried to take mine once, but they were just as intelligent as the ones who have been messing with yours so they failed. Next day i went and bought a club for it. No one has messed with it since.

www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000CBILL

mstjwrangler 10-22-2012 08:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Or u could save money by doing this...

Attachment 171077

Country_girl91 posted this on the jeep meme thread.

lordmike 10-22-2012 09:07 AM

Classic!

lordmike 10-22-2012 09:13 AM

The club is actually a really great idea and I never would have thought of it. Thanks! Beauty and brains... and a TJ, the dreaded triple threat.

0II1II0 10-22-2012 09:50 AM

I had a buddy who's Jeep got rooted through every night in his local parking garage. He got tired of dudes leaving his glove box open so he would leave some change in the console. After that, every morning, the change was gone but the glove box was closed. I guess he was tipping them to be neat about their thievery.

backwards 10-22-2012 10:02 AM

There are several alarm systems

Carlsbad0331 10-22-2012 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by backwards (Post 2913950)
There are several alarm systems

The problem with most alarm systems on the Jeep Wrangler (at least the older ones) is that the dash is wide open and the brain needs to be hidden remotely so that its not so easily removed.
The work involved with properly installing an alarm on a YJ is alot greater than most typical passenger vehicles.

Shadowkraze 10-23-2012 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstjwrangler (Post 2913750)
Someone tried to take mine once, but they were just as intelligent as the ones who have been messing with yours so they failed. Next day i went and bought a club for it. No one has messed with it since.

Thieves around here are smart I guess, they take a hacksaw or a tree pruner and cut the steering wheel. Club comes right off.

Tarby 10-23-2012 07:17 AM

When I lived in the Ghetto of Pittsburgh, I used to take the wire from the coil to the distributor off...granted, since coil packs are on jeeps now, this won't work...but for guys with pre-coil pack ignitions, works pretty good...was a car stolen on the left and right of my jeep...just got "gone over" on the inside, but was still there in the morning.

lordmike 10-23-2012 07:13 PM

I was thinking I would seal the center console with pressurized acid inside. Next time somebody opens it, they get a surprise lol. For the record, this is a joke.

fan of fanboys 10-23-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordmike
I was thinking I would seal the center console with pressurized acid inside. Next time somebody opens it, they get a surprise lol. For the record, this is a joke.

I wonder what the legality behind this or something would be? Are we allowed to legally booby trap our own vehicles and have no legal repercussion if someone hurts themselves attempting to steal it?

fan of fanboys 10-23-2012 07:27 PM

I went about 90 miles away from home for a week for work. Left doors at home. Had CD player stolen.
Just last week (I never lock doors. Rather top be cut or they just open door instead of try and break in) I noticed my envelope from glovebox that I keep insurance/registration and other paperwork in on my passenger seat and glove box open. Didn't think anything of it. Assumed wife swapped insurance card or something. Well talked to several guys in neighborhood who had same thing that night. No one missing anything, just open glovebox. And I live in a nice gated community in a cul de sac.

Another Guy In A Jeep 10-23-2012 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fan of fanboys (Post 2919120)
I wonder what the legality behind this or something would be? Are we allowed to legally booby trap our own vehicles and have no legal repercussion if someone hurts themselves attempting to steal it?

Its illegal to set traps up where im from. Say for example, a bear trap underneath ur window is illegal. idk about a car but i imagine its the same.

AJV 10-23-2012 08:58 PM

Back when I lived just off the beach Hawaii my jeep was broken into weekly by beach bums. I also started leaving a buck or two in change in the tray and it disappeared regularly. Once they even took my registration and recon paperwork (a Hawaiian idiosyncrasy for modified vehicles that is a giant pain in the a$$). I started keeping all my paperwork in an envelope tucked under my glovebox. My radio is a $80 special that pulls out easily.

griffin84184 10-24-2012 10:13 AM

WWW.turbokill.com

I saw this about a week ago. It seems like it might be a good idea. Pretty cheap though, I don't know if that reflects on the quality though...

Wirenuting 10-24-2012 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstjwrangler

5 seconds with a hack saw defeats the club. :-(

MTH 10-24-2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fan of fanboys (Post 2919120)

Laws regarding self defense and the defense of property vary state-by-state. Booby traps may also have their own series of laws state-by-state.

In general, my expectation would be that it's going to be illegal to booby trap personal property with something that's actually dangerous merely to prevent theft.

This is so because most (maybe all?) states do not allow you to defend personal property with deadly force.

While it may sound counterintuitive, this is good public policy--after all, it's only a jeep. Nobody, even if they're guilty, should be summarily executed without trial by a member of the general public via electric shock, acid attack, bleeding to death by bear trap, etc. just because they tried to steal a jeep. This is the same reason you can't just shoot somebody you discover trying to steal your jeep.

We have insurance to compensate owners, and the criminal justice system hands out penalties to the thieves. Nobody needs to die.

Most states (maybe all?) do allow you to use deadly force against someone who tries to forcefully carjack your jeep while you're in it, or someone who kicks their way into your house while you're home. But the right to use lethal firepower in those situations arises because you're defending yourself, not the jeep or your house.

myquite 10-27-2012 09:36 PM

In Florida one can defend his or her property by force.

MTH 10-27-2012 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myquite
In Florida one can defend his or her property by force.

Force, yes. But not lethal force.

fan of fanboys 10-27-2012 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH

Laws regarding self defense and the defense of property vary state-by-state. Booby traps may also have their own series of laws state-by-state.

In general, my expectation would be that it's going to be illegal to booby trap personal property with something that's actually dangerous merely to prevent theft.

This is so because most (maybe all?) states do not allow you to defend personal property with deadly force.

While it may sound counterintuitive, this is good public policy--after all, it's only a jeep. Nobody, even if they're guilty, should be summarily executed without trial by a member of the general public via electric shock, acid attack, bleeding to death by bear trap, etc. just because they tried to steal a jeep. This is the same reason you can't just shoot somebody you discover trying to steal your jeep.

We have insurance to compensate owners, and the criminal justice system hands out penalties to the thieves. Nobody needs to die.

Most states (maybe all?) do allow you to use deadly force against someone who tries to forcefully carjack your jeep while you're in it, or someone who kicks their way into your house while you're home. But the right to use lethal firepower in those situations arises because you're defending yourself, not the jeep or your house.

What if not trying to kill? Say you open center console and confetti explodes out with itching powder? Or open glove compartment and loud fig horn blares?
Serious question

MTH 10-27-2012 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fan of fanboys

What if not trying to kill? Say you open center console and confetti explodes out with itching powder? Or open glove compartment and loud fig horn blares?
Serious question

Interesting idea.

I'd expect it'd be fine. Certainly if no one gets hurt. Really more of a prank than anything else.

The trick though is that it is actually pretty reckless insofar as it could affect innocent people--somebody legitimately getting something out of your jeep for you, or who's nearby when an air horn sounds and stumbles into traffic.

You'll be responsible for the consequences.

fishinight 10-28-2012 05:47 AM

I don't know much about new jeeps, but the late 80's and early 90's a thief can have it gone in under a min. They break off the tilt box and break the wheel lock, then they break a section on the ignition which then allows the jeep to start with a screwdriver. Remember everyone thiefs are always one step ahead of us,

Jeepers Creepers Silver 10-28-2012 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fan of fanboys

Serious question

In today's American litigious climate it is seriously not worth it. You would just be setting someone up for an easy payday when the criminal is "blinded" by a stray piece of confetti or powder particulate. Just let them have your stuff, call the insurance company, and be glad all loved ones are safe and sound.

And no, I am not a bleeding heart liberal. I am a strong believer in safety and security up to and including lethal civilian force, I just focus on irreplaceable items like people rather than material possessions.

aelwero 10-28-2012 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepers Creepers Silver (Post 2934245)
In today's American litigious climate it is seriously not worth it.

Agree...

Quote:

You would just be setting someone up for an easy payday when the criminal is "blinded" by a stray piece of confetti or powder particulate.

Agree...

Quote:

Just let them have your stuff, call the insurance company, and be glad all loved ones are safe and sound.

Having agreed with the first two statements, this seems like a really intelligent solution, but I'd be much more likely to detain someone trying to commit burglary (regardless of where or who's property it is). Not sure I'd recommend that to anyone else, but it seems like more of a "right/wrong" thing to me than a "stuff" or "liability" thing...

Badkarma8 10-28-2012 08:00 AM

I wonder if car thieves today pass on manual transmission vehicles?

Jeepers Creepers Silver 10-28-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aelwero
Agree...

Agree...

Having agreed with the first two statements, this seems like a really intelligent solution, but I'd be much more likely to detain someone trying to commit burglary (regardless of where or who's property it is). Not sure I'd recommend that to anyone else, but it seems like more of a "right/wrong" thing to me than a "stuff" or "liability" thing...

The problem is that you can get yourself in really hot water doing that. The headlines are filled with criminals perverting the legal system and suing victims for the various ways they got hurt "on the job" of committing crimes. I personally know of a real world example that my friend witnessed. Think you are pissed when he steals your Jeep? How pissed will you be when he sues you for a fat couple hundred grand and now is on easy street until his next score? Again, I am all for justice and the demarcation of right and wrong, but only when the pursued object is worth that level of risk. People qualify, stuff doesn't. I probably should not say this on a public forum, but you will rarely catch me out in public unarmed. If someone walks up to me and demands my wallet, I give it to them regardless of what is on my hip at the time (preferably by throwing it away from me so they exit the area or are distracted). This is not cowardice, it is because there is nothing in my wallet worth killing for or dying for. Obviously, if someone tries to hurt my wife or kids, this is a completely different scenario and my response would be considerably different in tone and action.

It's frustrating, I know, but by taking the fight directly to the petty criminal you unfortunately are letting them win because of our legal system and eventual backlash. The days of stepping in and stopping a crime while being a hero are dead in America unless lives are on the line.

Not at all telling anyone what to do, or even offering advice. Just stating my opinion on the subject matter.

BlueRidgeYJ 10-28-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH

^ that.

I would add that most states do NOT provide civil tort protection in self defense deadly force, even when your house is entered with intent of or by commission of a felony (Castle Doctrine).

As far as stealing your jeep, theyll get it if they want it. Pull the rear driveshaft, hook the front up, away it goes. No wrecker? Use a tow bar and pull both shafts. Gone in 60 seconds, then chopped up. Just don't be the nicest or easiest target.

Jeepers Creepers Silver 10-28-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeYJ

^ that.

I would add that most states do NOT provide civil tort protection in self defense deadly force, even when your house is entered with intent of or by commission of a felony (Castle Doctrine).

As far as stealing your jeep, theyll get it if they want it. Pull the rear driveshaft, hook the front up, away it goes. No wrecker? Use a tow bar and pull both shafts. Gone in 60 seconds, then chopped up. Just don't be the nicest or easiest target.

Sad and very true on all counts.