Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   MAJOR PROBLEM!! Bad injector? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/major-problem-bad-injector-194856.html)

kla95 10-22-2012 07:30 PM

MAJOR PROBLEM!! Bad injector?

A few days ago I posted about my 95 wrangler cutting out and sputtering and said I was going to change the fuel filter to see if that fixed it. I changed the filter tonight and drove it. This did not fix my problem. On my way home it started to die, so I pulled over and tried to take off again. I had it in first gear and the Jeep would barely move. After shutting it off and starting it again several times with no change I finally managed to limp into a driveway. I could see it smoking and I thought it was coming from my exhaust. When I got out I looked under the Jeep to make sure there werent any problems with my new filter. The muffler was GLOWING CHERRY RED. Somehow it got so hot it was glowing and smoking. At that point I called for a tow (obviously). So I have a few thoughts... does this mean I have a bad injector? or is it that simple? Also thought maybe a bad spark plug, causing the fuel to not get burnt? Figured this would be the best place to start for ideas... any thoughts welcome!

Toms94YJ 10-22-2012 08:36 PM

Your muffler or Cat was glowing red? I had a bad injector when I upgraded mine to 19# ones. How I checked it was pull the plugs and first check them out. Are any wet? Then have a extra set of hands there with you if possible. Turn the engine over if you have one stuck open (which I did) as you turn it over fuel will shoot out the port with the bad one. Mine was stuck open and it was incredibly hard to start. When I could get it started it would backfire, sputter, stall you name it. Also pull your oil dipstick and check for a fuel smell. All the fuel was draining into my oil. Lucky I didn't blow it up.
If it was your cat glowing unhook your exhaust manifold from your muffler and see if that makes a difference. I hope this helps you out.

kla95 10-22-2012 09:06 PM

I only saw the muffler. I plan on tearing into it tomorrow after work. I have heard everything: plugged exhaust/ cat, fuel pressure regulator, bad injector, fouled plug, valve stuck open. At this point I dont even know where to start :/

jokerchief462 10-22-2012 09:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Start with the basics and build a list so you don't have to do something twice. Somehow you got a lot of fuel into the exhaust if it was that hot and glowing.

i know you are frustrated but there is an answer and can be fixed.

The first thing IMHO I would do if it was mine is a compression test preferrably when it is at running With the plugs removed and the numbers from the compression check you can read the story. I will attach a picture of plugs and it tells what is happening.

If alll of that is good clean gapo and reinstall. Since it is not a spark problem we move to fuel and you have just installed a new filter so check it off. If you have good fuel flow to yo the rail is it holding pressure, I believe there is aschrader valve where you can release the pressure. You can remove the injcetors and this I am not very well versed at but they may need cleaning which is usually done with something in the tank or hooked directly to the ful system like they do at the oil change place.

The exhaust glowing is an issue you are going to have answer your self. If you can run it with the exhaust disconnected and it does OK it may be the CAT especially if it hasn't been replaced for a long time.

There are sensors on the engine that can contribute to e very rich mixture. Does the engine get to running temp and what is it??? It shoudl be at 210 and that is regulated by having the riight thermostat and the ECU reading aall the temp inputs correctly to adjust feul misture and timing.

Sounds like a lot take it one step at time starting withthe basics. Look at the pic for theplugs that best represents what you find when you pull your plugs.

Toms94YJ 10-22-2012 09:25 PM

It is frustrating. Don't let it get the best of you. Start with the simplest things first. Check your plugs, what do they look like? I bought one, but you can probably rent a pressure tester to test your fuel pressure at the rail. Very easy to do. Unhook your exhaust manifold (2 bolts) from your exhaust. I spent about $300 before I pulled the plugs and turned the engine over. Only to find I had a bad ( stuck open) injector. Do you have a Haynes or Chilton manual? I would recommend getting one or the other. They come in very handy.

sslopok 10-22-2012 10:00 PM

I was thinking clogged cat before I even read the exhaust glowing red.

kla95 10-23-2012 07:53 AM

Thanks for all the help everyone! One thing that has me thinking it is not a plug issue is that it was a progressive problem. I drove it probably 100 miles over a week while it was originally cutting out. Then it died on me and i drove it home no problem. Thats when I replaced the filter, and drove it and had the major problems (cutting out, dieing, wouldnt idle, backfiring). I would think a plug would be an immediate problem, but I dont know. I am just going to use what you all have said and hopefully find a solution (hopefully a cheap solution!!).

AKohler883 10-23-2012 07:58 AM

my guess would have been clogged cat also. I had that happen on my 2003 Chevy Avalanche when it had like 60K miles on it. It would not Move. I did not check heat at the muffler.

jokerchief462 10-23-2012 09:52 AM

I aws never thinking a bad plug at all. I was going back to starting the troubleshooting process from the beginning because the compression test and the condition of the plugs tells you a story from which the process begins. If the compression is good which it probably is then the plugs will tell you how it is burning. If it is all sooted up running way rich that may be the whole cause of the glowing cat and then you will be searching for lost inputs to the ecm as to why it is running closed loop or adjusting rich for some reason. So when you start with the basics you get a direction from the findings.

kla95 10-23-2012 08:43 PM

Turns out the problem is.... the center post of my distributor cap corroded/ melted in half. I believe that goes to the voltage regulator? Hopefully that is all that is wrong with it. I am waiting to take it to the shop because I assume the timing and everything is off now..

Redrider94 10-24-2012 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kla95
Turns out the problem is.... the center post of my distributor cap corroded/ melted in half. I believe that goes to the voltage regulator? Hopefully that is all that is wrong with it. I am waiting to take it to the shop because I assume the timing and everything is off now..

Put a new cap and rotor on it and be done!!

sevenservices 10-24-2012 01:47 PM

yup... cap & rotor, cheap easy fix. And, they can only go on one way lol.

But, keep track of your plug wires as to not mess 'em up.