Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Yes, an AX-15 transmission whine thread (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/yes-an-ax-15-transmission-whine-thread-194895.html)

jherrington 10-22-2012 11:40 PM

Hows it going WF?
If you said good, I wish I could say the same
If you said bad, youre not alone.

I just installed my front drive shaft again after taking it of because i thought it was causing a noise. Well that noise was detonation in the engine.

After putting the drive shaft back on, I've got a whine. Now, usually when you change something, and something starts happening differently, its usually a result of you changing something. But personally, ive never heard of a drive shaft whining...

What do I mean by whine? purse your lips together like you are about to whistle, but dont, only blow out air. it sounds kinda like that, but more of a whine than an air leak.

This noise only happens at say, 30 mph and up. it doesnt seem to have any corelation with the A/C being on, radio, turning, or even the clutch being pushed in..But tonight, I noticed if i have it in 5th gear, and i take it out, as if i have to turn, the whine gets quieter.. This is what has led me to beleive it is the transmission, as its obviously not engine related if it doesnt do it at idle, or while reving. and not part of the outer ware because if I take it out of 5th, it gets slightly quieter.

Here is the video the whine is barely audible, but seems to be noticed once i take it out of 5th before I rev the engine.

Could it just need new oil?

All feedback is appretiated!

Edit* after watching the Vid on my computer, it is DEFINATELY audible after i take it out of 5th the last time. at about 1:50. its more of a ringing/whine sound.

Edit 2** if you really want to get personal about the noise, it sounds similar to you trying to breathe through your nose when there's stuff in it! Ha!

Thanks -Jon

Jeep wrangler whine - YouTube

lapis_blue 10-23-2012 01:06 AM

I tries to listen to the video and don't hear anything. I hope I'm not loosing my mind but ill give u a bump maybe someone hears it

Black98 10-23-2012 05:59 AM

When was the last time the trans/transfercase/axles had their fluids changed? Also have you looked to make sure the outer/lower shift boot is not torn or ripped letting in more sound? The transmission is always going to make some level of noise but if it has suddenly increased it is obviously cause for concern.

jherrington 10-23-2012 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black98
When was the last time the trans/transfercase/axles had their fluids changed? Also have you looked to make sure the outer/lower shift boot is not torn or ripped letting in more sound? The transmission is always going to make some level of noise but if it has suddenly increased it is obviously cause for concern.

Never. Oops. The lower shift boot has been torn for quite some time, so I wouldn't think that would be the problem. But yes, this whine/whistle just started Saturday.. Looks like il be changing the transmission oil soon. What else could it be besides being low on oil?

jherrington 10-23-2012 03:29 PM

Still didnt change the fluid(Engineering student, dont really have much time for anything anymore)

1. Someone suggest a fluid that works well, but i can pick up at say NAPA because i dont really feel like trying to order it and stuff.

2. When I depress the clutch, some times I get a squeal as if I'm opening an old rusty door that needs some lubrication. I've seen this be diagnosed as the TOB. Could this be true?

Dextreme 10-23-2012 03:36 PM

Redline MT90 is what I would use in a AX15.

rdsiler 10-23-2012 03:47 PM

Not sure if I have the same transmission but I used royal purple synchromax. Mine is a 2000.

jherrington 10-23-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdsiler
Not sure if I have the same transmission but I used royal purple synchromax. Mine is a 2000.

Different I beleive

jherrington 10-23-2012 11:25 PM

A change in fluid shouldn't change anything. There has to be something in the transmission that is shot isn't it? It not going to just make a noise for no reason..

jherrington 10-25-2012 12:41 AM

Is there a bearing in the tranny only spins when youre moving? This could be the culprit and since the TOB is bad, it will make it worth the encounter of dropping the transmission.

572 10-25-2012 03:23 AM

This could be a long shot, but when you put the driveshaft back in you could have installed it on the yolk 180 degrees from where it was. This could possibly cause an out of balance condition. Just a thought.

jherrington 10-25-2012 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 572
This could be a long shot, but when you put the driveshaft back in you could have installed it on the yolk 180 degrees from where it was. This could possibly cause an out of balance condition. Just a thought.

That came to mind yesterday at school, il check the scrape marks that I put into the side of it