Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Tires & Wheels (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/)
-   -   tire wear of m/ts (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/tire-wear-of-m-ts-194902.html)

Jkfletch7 10-22-2012 11:03 PM

tire wear of m/ts
 
hey guys looking for some help with choosing a tire! Winter is slowly approaching and I know my 50 dollar CL bought tires need replacing. Basically i have narrowed it down to a few tires and I am wondering what will serve me best on the highway, in the snow and off road. I am looking something that will wear good. My jk is a DD but it sees a good share of all the off road elements. I really want a set of 33x12.5r17s because my 285/70r17s are just too narrow for my 9 inch wide wheels. I am looking at the Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ and the Dick Cepek Mud Countrys as a best fit. Also in the runnings are the General Grabber red letters (weight is major down side) and the Nokian Vatiiva M/T (anybody know anything? i need more info)... Also would maybe consider the National Chaparrel MTs but i cant find anything about them, so info would be nice if anyone even heard of them. Also I thought about the Dick Cepek FC-IIs but i dont think they are aggressive enough for me. So please help me out by sharing your vast knowledge guys! It is very much appreciated!!

WXman 10-23-2012 07:05 AM

I think the Cooper STT is made in that size, and that's the only one I'd go with.

cocky grin 10-23-2012 08:56 AM

i have bfg km2s and i like them one thing to keep in mind some people say that mud tires arent good on snowy icy roads i have no personal opinion on this cuz i got my km2s in the middle of summer this is gonna be my 1st winter with them

Jkfletch7 10-23-2012 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WXman (Post 2917123)
I think the Cooper STT is made in that size, and that's the only one I'd go with.

I will look into them, have you had them before? How long did they last?
I do know that both Mickey Thompson and dick cepek are mostly manufactured by cooper so I wonder how similar they are

Jkfletch7 10-23-2012 04:21 PM

Any other opinions?

Jkfletch7 10-23-2012 10:14 PM

nobody else has any imput on any of these tires?

DrHolliday 10-23-2012 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jkfletch7 (Post 2917470)
I will look into them, have you had them before? How long did they last?
I do know that both Mickey Thompson and dick cepek are mostly manufactured by cooper so I wonder how similar they are

I ran the Cooper STT's in a 35x12.50R17 for about 6,000 miles. They performed really well in snow/ Ice compared to the KM2's. The only tire I witnessed doing better is the Goodyear Duratrac's. Can't comment on longevity b/c I sold them to go bigger. After 6,000 miles they still o
looked new though.

Jkfletch7 10-23-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrHolliday (Post 2919841)
I ran the Cooper STT's in a 35x12.50R17 for about 6,000 miles. They performed really well in snow/ Ice compared to the KM2's. The only tire I witnessed doing better is the Goodyear Duratrac's. Can't comment on longevity b/c I sold them to go bigger. After 6,000 miles they still o
looked new though.

Thank you! exactly the kind of answer I was looking for, I am going to get a price on them from a local dealer tomorrow. :thumb: only reason they were not in my original list is the two local shops i talked to don't carry cooper so I wasn't even aware those were such a good match

Jkfletch7 10-23-2012 10:57 PM

all other opinions are still appreciated though!

Jkfletch7 10-24-2012 11:19 AM

Anyone?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:59 AM.