Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Communications and Electronics (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/)
-   -   Alpine INE-S920HD in a JK (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/alpine-ine-s920hd-in-a-jk-194905.html)

bfgrubi 10-22-2012 11:23 PM

Alpine INE-S920HD in a JK
 
Anyone using? Any issues with the install? Shows some modifications needed, and wanted to know if it fits well in the dash. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks.

eboven 10-23-2012 12:57 PM

That's a great unit, I've installed a few, though none into a JK. They are pretty standard in the double-DIN sizing so it should fit fine, after you cut out the sub-dash support bar on the top; this will be needed no matter what double-DIN you choose. I have always loved the clean look Alpine's give over any other brand, I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

bfgrubi 10-23-2012 02:35 PM

awesome thanks.

37Olivestreetbrews 12-03-2012 11:43 AM

This is on the top of my list as well. Hopefully if anyone installs this they would be willing to share their reviews and pearls.

Teamct17 01-19-2013 08:27 PM

I actually just pirchased this navigation head unit this evening. I will have it installed at the place and will let yall know how everything goes!

37Olivestreetbrews 01-20-2013 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teamct17
I actually just pirchased this navigation head unit this evening. I will have it installed at the place and will let yall know how everything goes!

Awesome I can't wait to hear how it works and how it makes your jeep sound.

37Olivestreetbrews 01-20-2013 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teamct17
I actually just pirchased this navigation head unit this evening. I will have it installed at the place and will let yall know how everything goes!

Where are you doing the install? I see your from Connecticut too.

Teamct17 01-20-2013 10:41 AM

I purchased it at PC Richards in newington and the install will be pretty easy because i allready have an after market head unit in my jeep.

37Olivestreetbrews 01-23-2013 06:49 PM

How did your install go and how's your new unit sound?

Teamct17 01-23-2013 09:26 PM

Well nothings simple these days. First it started with the guys i hadput in my previous aftermarket head unit not useing a harness to connect all the wires. So i than had to purchase a harnest. Its all set now and installed and looks great. In my opinion its much sharper than the oem RER head units. The problem now is figureing out the best place to put my bluetooth mic since the jeep is naturally really noisey especially on the highway. I will post pics tommorow morning for yall.

37Olivestreetbrews 01-24-2013 05:50 AM

Sweet. I've heard some people put the mic between the steering wheel and gauge cluster. I'd like to run mine to the A pillar and replace the original.

Teamct17 01-24-2013 07:36 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Heres some pictures fellas!

37Olivestreetbrews 01-24-2013 10:52 AM

What year is your jeep? The surround on the radio looks different from my '12. Thanks for posting up the pics. How's it sound?

allblackedout 01-24-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 37Olivestreetbrews
What year is your jeep? The surround on the radio looks different from my '12. Thanks for posting up the pics. How's it sound?

Its pre 2011 interior. still a JK i think.

Teamct17 01-24-2013 01:39 PM

Ive got a 2010 wrangler unlimited. Done a lot of work to this bad boy. 2.5 inch lift BFG mudT as well as some sharp chrome wheels. The outside had to match the inside which is why i decided to upgrade a little bit. It sounds great and looks amazing so far.

37Olivestreetbrews 03-12-2013 04:02 PM

Well I just pulled the trigger and ordered the Alpine INE S920HD HU. Also picked up the power pack KTP 445 Amp on eBay. Hope to install in the next few weeks. Will also be adding a back up camera that I need to figure out where to mount.

Teamct17 03-12-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 37Olivestreetbrews (Post 3494283)
Well I just pulled the trigger and ordered the Alpine INE S920HD HU. Also picked up the power pack KTP 445 Amp on eBay. Hope to install in the next few weeks. Will also be adding a back up camera that I need to figure out where to mount.

Ive got this and its terrific! Didnt want to install back up camera because its an additional like 250 plus installation. Not worth it i think. They place it near the license plate and center it off that.

37Olivestreetbrews 03-12-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teamct17 (Post 3495282)

Ive got this and its terrific! Didnt want to install back up camera because its an additional like 250 plus installation. Not worth it i think. They place it near the license plate and center it off that.

Awesome. I'm doing the install on everything. Got a serious case of the DIY bug. Not sure if I will install camera off spare tire or bumper. Did you do a video bypass? I got most of the stuff from crutchfield and the camera and Sirius antenna from amazon.

Teamct17 03-13-2013 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 37Olivestreetbrews (Post 3495738)

Awesome. I'm doing the install on everything. Got a serious case of the DIY bug. Not sure if I will install camera off spare tire or bumper. Did you do a video bypass? I got most of the stuff from crutchfield and the camera and Sirius antenna from amazon.

When i go into reverse it shows a black screen and than when in drive it goes back to audio. Im no tech guy when it comes to wireing but did you pick up the installation kit along with a harness?

37Olivestreetbrews 03-13-2013 02:11 PM

I ordered the PAC harness that keeps the steering wheel controls. Ill let you know when I install what happens. Do you lose audio when in reverse or just the screen?

Teamct17 03-13-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 37Olivestreetbrews (Post 3498825)
I ordered the PAC harness that keeps the steering wheel controls. Ill let you know when I install what happens. Do you lose audio when in reverse or just the screen?

Just the screen. Audio stays as normal. I will say its very confuseing to operate and you can only change settings when parked.

37Olivestreetbrews 03-13-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teamct17 (Post 3498865)
Just the screen. Audio stays as normal. I will say its very confuseing to operate and you can only change settings when parked.

There is a bypass you can wire in which I have ordered to allow for access to settings while in motion and the ability to watch video in motion. For me it's not so much wanting to watch a video while moving (that's lunacy my friend). but I am thinking about my son who is less than a year now who will be able to watch a movie from his car seat that is in the middle position.

Teamct17 03-13-2013 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 37Olivestreetbrews (Post 3499941)

There is a bypass you can wire in which I have ordered to allow for access to settings while in motion and the ability to watch video in motion. For me it's not so much wanting to watch a video while moving (that's lunacy my friend). but I am thinking about my son who is less than a year now who will be able to watch a movie from his car seat that is in the middle position.

Lol yes i do have that installed as well. Couldnt take haveing to park when entering an address on my gps!

37Olivestreetbrews 04-14-2013 03:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got it all hooked up. Sounds amazing. A

Attachment 236065

Naiche 07-14-2013 11:25 AM

Hi All,

Any input on the difficulty installing this head unit in a 2013 Wrangler that just has the low end stock head unit with the premium sound system?

I have no experience doing any of this, but am open to giving it a try.. especially if I save a few hundred on installation :D

Thanks!

Dan

Naiche 07-14-2013 11:27 AM

Also, anyone have any idea what installation costs at say Best Buy? Approx?

sbpunk 08-30-2013 07:02 PM

Got a couple questions if you guys don't mind.

Does it use the factory mic?
Anyone know the kit number to diable the park to change settings?
Do you lose any of the steering wheel controls on the 21+? Uconnect or the buttons on the back of the steering wheel?
Anyone try using a forward facing camera? Would be nice when you don't have a spotter and are out in the trails. Thanks

37Olivestreetbrews 08-30-2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbpunk (Post 4156001)
Got a couple questions if you guys don't mind.

Does it use the factory mic?
Anyone know the kit number to diable the park to change settings?
Do you lose any of the steering wheel controls on the 21+? Uconnect or the buttons on the back of the steering wheel?
Anyone try using a forward facing camera? Would be nice when you don't have a spotter and are out in the trails. Thanks

I have this HU and love it. You will need to order the correct harness (check Crutchfield) to keep the steering wheel controls. The only uconnect buttons you lose are the voice activation and the phone pick up button. These buttons do have functionality with the head unit though -they turn into a mute button. All other controls are kept. I installed an alpine camera but mounted it on the rear bumper. Get a parking bypass and that way the camera feature as a spotter would work. It also allows you to enter a navi address in on the fly without putting jeep in park.

sbpunk 08-30-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 37Olivestreetbrews (Post 4156169)
I have this HU and love it. You will need to order the correct harness (check Crutchfield) to keep the steering wheel controls. The only uconnect buttons you lose are the voice activation and the phone pick up button. These buttons do have functionality with the head unit though -they turn into a mute button. All other controls are kept. I installed an alpine camera but mounted it on the rear bumper. Get a parking bypass and that way the camera feature as a spotter would work. It also allows you to enter a navi address in on the fly without putting jeep in park.

Damn that sucks about the steering wheel controls. Oh well its not like I use them that often anyway. Where did you find the parking break bypass at? I havent been able to find it anywheres.

woansleftpeg 08-30-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbpunk (Post 4158337)
Damn that sucks about the steering wheel controls. Oh well its not like I use them that often anyway. Where did you find the parking break bypass at? I havent been able to find it anywheres.

Just wire the parking brake lead to a switched ground.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24 AM.