Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   JKU grinding with lockers (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/jku-grinding-with-lockers-195184.html)

mtfisherim 10-24-2012 11:46 AM

JKU grinding with lockers

Hi,
I think I understand what is going on now but wanted to toss out my situation to see if anyone has any other ideas that I am missing. I will try to keep it short as possible...

Bought an 08 JKU, stock drivetrain(6 spd, 3.73), DD + went wheelin' for the first time a month or so ago and am totally hooked....
Looking at upgrades (lift, wheels, maybe locker?) but didn't have a ton of money to invest right now...

So... found an 07 JKU (same color even..) similar setup except it already has some nice PC wheels, new 35" tires, leveling kit, Detroit rear locker, OX selectable front locker and 5.38 gears, 6-spd. Pricewise it was an even swap for mine so I ended up buying it... (Haven't sold the 08 yet)

The road manners of the new one is getting to me a bit. The gear ratio is a bit crazy for DD duties, but swapping that is getting me into the $1k+ range again.
Also, the shifting is much more touchy/sloppy than my other one. From reading this sounds like it is the locker on the rear (combined with the gearing). But I get more clunks and can't shift anywhere near as fast without getting a grind.

So my questions:
- Should removing the locker help with the grinding/clunky feeling? If so I think I could give that up wheelin, and just keep the selectable front. How much might that cost?
- Does that sound more like a tranny issue? In which case would it be worth swapping the diff/wheels/etc to the 08, which then would have better gearing for DD now as well. But that will probably cost quite a bit as well. (The 08 also has 3 yr left on warranty which is nice)
- Any other changes I might have missed?

I know, pay to play and in the long run I don't mind making the bigger changes, but for now I was looking for ways to get the DD a bit better.
Wheelin' it is great though!! So maybe I just deal with it and be happy :-)

Thanks

kjeeper10 10-24-2012 11:48 AM

Time for 40's :D

Baby Huey 10-24-2012 11:59 AM

The Detroit Locker will ratchet on corners and they do at times click and make noise, thats just their nature....
To change it out, you will have to buy a new carrier assembly to replace the locker, that will not be cheap$$$$...
Bottom line is you are going to have to make up your mind what you want to do and what you want in your vehicle.
GRINDING should not be happening with the Lockers .... That is a Clutch /Trans. issue or maybe worn shifter assembly...
Good luck ..... "BH"

SilverSport 10-24-2012 01:10 PM

^This.

mtfisherim 10-24-2012 02:44 PM

That is kind of what I was figuring, the cost to swap anything is $$ so I just need to decide what I want to live with...
I will look more at the grinding from the trans perspective, maybe have the local shop take a look too. Keep my fingers crossed there isn't a major issue.
Thanks!

Baby Huey 10-24-2012 03:54 PM

Explain your "grinding" sound or noise ...... When does it happen ?
Do you hear it when you push in the clutch and try to shift ? Is it like the trans fails to go into the next gear or shift gate ????
Like your grinding the gears trying to shift or is it a different sound ?

Just curious when this sound comes in....

Could be the PO ran heck out of it and trashed the trans syncro's....

"BH"

mtfisherim 10-24-2012 09:21 PM

Hi, I was wondering that too so on the way home I paid a little more attention.
When it is colder (first 10 or so mins) every time I push in the clutch in gear I get a clank. That didn't happen after highway driving for about 15 minutes ...
It shifts into the gears fine (no resistance shifting) but sometimes going into usually 2nd or 3rd I get a grind sound like I didn't have the clutch depressed all the way, though I do. It is a quick grind sound.
I was wondering if that is a clutch issue then?
It has 42k miles on it presently, not sure how long the diff swap has been on it....

THanks!