Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Air intake (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/air-intake-195726.html)

creepycrawler 10-26-2012 10:25 PM

Air intake

Looking for info from others about intakes. Is it really worth the $? If so what brand? For 12jk

Irishbaja 10-26-2012 10:36 PM

IMO and research spend your $300.00 on worth while mods.

rics1997 10-26-2012 10:38 PM

They make a nice sound but do little else. The CAI's really only show real improvement if they allow increase air flow on a restricted stock intake. The stock intake on a JK isn't restricted. The other part is if it can bring in cold air but the CAI's for Jeeps have the air flow come in at the same location as the stock so they are bringing in the same hot engine bay air. You might see on a Dyno about 2 to 3 hp increase at best in normal driving range. The Dynos done have shown little if any improvement.

creepycrawler 10-26-2012 10:48 PM

I figured it would be a waste. I like the sound of them but would rather an exhaust for that. What about just a k&n filter?

jtbaker1911 10-26-2012 11:27 PM

Never understood why they call them "cold air intakes" Most factory air boxs pull in fresh air from the fender or from the front of the vehicle. Most aftermarket air intakes are just open filters on a stick. With an open filter when your engine warms up the air just sucks in all that nice heat coming off the engine. More like a hot air intake along with their "hot" sales pitch.
ONLY good thing about those is it allows for a great amount of air flow IF you have ohter upgrades to the engine that causes the engine to need more air.

BoarderMX 10-26-2012 11:29 PM

The air raid CAI dyno sheet shows a 8 HP / 12 ft lb torque increase and is the only one to retain the enclosed airbox which can be adapted to a snorkel as well as protecting the filter from water during creek crossings.

Seat of the pants dyno confirms the extra ooompfh and every bit helps when making up for what you lose with a lift and larger tires.

To each their own, that is what makes your jeep yours.

chim-chim7 10-26-2012 11:36 PM

Not all CAI are created equal, if someone thinks the JK intake is not restrictive they are wrong period. It's been proven on a dyno in many cases that a CAI actually improves HP and torque even more than a cat back exhaust would. Typical gains on the new Pentastar are 12-15 HP and 10-13 torque with a AfE intake. Not only that but they remove the slight hesisation you feel with the DBW from a dead stop. Do your research, CAI are not just louder. They also provide a slight improvement on MPG.

I run the Banks intake and love it.

dcaprio 10-27-2012 12:41 PM

I have been running the Airaid MXP CAI (Synthamax filter) in my 2012 JKUR for about a month now. Yes, it does have a little more growl when accelerating. As for power, I haven't noticed but I am not sure I would feel an 8HP gain. After four tanks of gas, I have noticed I am averaging 21.0 MPG versus the 19.3 MPG I was averaging before the install, at least according to the EVIC computer. So there is something to be said for that. I was able to pick up the CAI for $215, a pretty good deal IMO, but is it worth $315 or more? The jury's still out on that!

WXman 10-27-2012 04:51 PM

Love my Airaid kit and would never go back to stock. Engine response is more linear, noticeably so. Sound is fantastic and makes driving more enjoyable. Filter is washable with soap and water and will never have to be replaced. I love it.

BeyondYourFrontDoor 10-27-2012 06:56 PM

Just put an Airaid on, and like all my great decisions, after researching it after I've done it, I probably would have left it alone.

I'll be making a 3000km trip starting tomorrow, so I'll have some empirical data when I get back. Expect to be underwhelmed...

Farnham21 10-27-2012 07:54 PM

Had airaid in my mustang love it outperformed k and n all day if I ever put one in here it would be airaid no questions

thinkxingu 10-27-2012 08:03 PM

I put a CAI on my '10 Islander, and I gained 13 hp and 2 mpg's. It also smoothed out the highs on my Infinity system, added a little low-end punch to the stock subwoofer, and stopped my 3.8 from burning oil. I swear by them.

S

Mntdriver 10-27-2012 08:05 PM

I believe the general consensus is that CAI's provide little if any performance increases. The sound is louder though! ;-)

chim-chim7 10-27-2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mntdriver (Post 2932904)
I believe the general consensus is that CAI's provide little if any performance increases. The sound is louder though! ;-)

So 10-13 HP and 10 torque is little if any performance increase? Thats a lot from just a intake replacement.

SilverSport 10-27-2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chim-chim7 (Post 2933119)
So 10-13 HP and 10 torque is little if any performance increase? Thats a lot from just a intake replacement.

Do you have personal dyno sheets or are you quoting aFe?

WXman 10-27-2012 10:17 PM

Dyno sheets from multiple manufacturers of CAIs, as well as dyno sheets from actual forum members, have all shown 6-13 horsepower increase depending on what particular CAI you go with.

The stock intake has some appendages molded onto it to reduce noise. Problem is, those appendages create low pressure areas in the air flow and that's why I think the engine response is so crappy with the stock parts. I've gone back and forth between stock and aftermarket a few times just to compare, and when I put the stock intake back on it's instantly noticeable. It requires more pedal to get the same throttle input, and like I said it's not nearly as linear. I feel great about the CAI kit.

BeyondYourFrontDoor 10-27-2012 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chim-chim7 (Post 2933119)

You will find various dyno runs that show that mystical 10+ HP, and then other runs that show 2-3HP... which could be just test variation.

10HP isn't 'a lot', but in the wheezy 3.8, it would be nice... that's what I was hoping for anyway... I live in high mountains, and have lots of 4th gear hills on the highway.

Honestly, if rocket-ship is the end game, stop investing in the 3.8 and save your pennies for a 3.6 pento-star. No comparison...

SilverSport 10-27-2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WXman (Post 2933260)
Dyno sheets from multiple manufacturers of CAIs, as well as dyno sheets from actual forum members, have all shown 6-13 horsepower increase depending on what particular CAI you go with.

The stock intake has some appendages molded onto it to reduce noise. Problem is, those appendages create low pressure areas in the air flow and that's why I think the engine response is so crappy with the stock parts. I've gone back and forth between stock and aftermarket a few times just to compare, and when I put the stock intake back on it's instantly noticeable. It requires more pedal to get the same throttle input, and like I said it's not nearly as linear. I feel great about the CAI kit.

Helmholtz resonator.

thinkxingu 10-28-2012 06:32 AM

The OP has a 3.6.
Still waiting to see someone post real gains that are consistent, not max numbers based on one run of hyper-injected, super-compressed air.
A side note: though I'm obviously skeptical about a CAI's value, I've used enough to say they definitely sound different and, especially when paired with an exhaust system or super/turbo-charged engine, can have a small impact on performance.
Still wouldn't bother with one for a Jeep.

S

Bourget117 10-28-2012 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WXman (Post 2933260)

I totally agree. Not all intake upgrades are the same. Throttle is much smoother and vehicle accelerates with less hesitation. A noticable increase in mpgs. Sounds really good too. Never needs replacing or oiling with the synthamax filter. And I got a great deal on my airaid for $265 and got a $50 cash rebate making $215 shipped. Can't beat that.

DJL2 10-28-2012 09:50 AM

Well, I'll tell you what - I know one guy on this forum that took a considerable amount of time and effort to document his entire CAI install complete with dyno runs. One. So, it's time for the rest of you to put up your numbers. I want to see you dyno runs, controlled enviroment, same test conditions, before and after. I see a lot of horse hooey flying around in this thread.

The 3.6 is most restricted at the top of its performance range anyhow...4.5-5k rpm and upwards. Moreover, it's not just the air intake that is restrictive. There are multiple threads on this. The intake is a system and includes things like your throttle bodies, headers, valves, velocity stacks, the tubes/pipes that connect everything, on and on. Chrysler changes the intake and intake manifold and makes and extra 20 HP from the same engine in the Ram/Charger...here's the kicker though - if the intake manifold becomes the limited factor it DOES NOT MATTER how much your intake and filter flow.

SilverSport 10-28-2012 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bourget117 (Post 2934413)
I totally agree. Not all intake upgrades are the same. Throttle is much smoother and vehicle accelerates with less hesitation. A noticable increase in mpgs. Sounds really good too. Never needs replacing or oiling with the synthamax filter. And I got a great deal on my airaid for $265 and got a $50 cash rebate making $215 shipped. Can't beat that.

$50 rebate?

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 2934213)
The OP has a 3.6.
Still waiting to see someone post real gains that are consistent, not max numbers based on one run of hyper-injected, super-compressed air.
A side note: though I'm obviously skeptical about a CAI's value, I've used enough to say they definitely sound different and, especially when paired with an exhaust system or super/turbo-charged engine, can have a small impact on performance.
Still wouldn't bother with one for a Jeep.

S

You don't need one, your Jeep is reDQulous fast already! :D

thinkxingu 10-28-2012 12:36 PM

Silver, BUDDY! Crazy fricken fast. I'm gonna outrun Sandy.

Jkfletch7 11-14-2012 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJL2 (Post 2934418)
Well, I'll tell you what - I know one guy on this forum that took a considerable amount of time and effort to document his entire CAI install complete with dyno runs. One. So, it's time for the rest of you to put up your numbers. I want to see you dyno runs, controlled enviroment, same test conditions, before and after. I see a lot of horse hooey flying around in this thread.

The 3.6 is most restricted at the top of its performance range anyhow...4.5-5k rpm and upwards. Moreover, it's not just the air intake that is restrictive. There are multiple threads on this. The intake is a system and includes things like your throttle bodies, headers, valves, velocity stacks, the tubes/pipes that connect everything, on and on. Chrysler changes the intake and intake manifold and makes and extra 20 HP from the same engine in the Ram/Charger...here's the kicker though - if the intake manifold becomes the limited factor it DOES NOT MATTER how much your intake and filter flow.

So the real question is then, where can we get the intake and intake manifold that Chrysler puts in and how much ?? :popcorn:

SoCalChris 11-14-2012 10:56 PM

I put the banks intake w throttle body spacer. GOODS: I feel as if my jeep has more torque and better throttle response. BADS: Its louder then shit when u romp on the gas to pass or going up a grade. There's my $.02

rangerman75 11-15-2012 07:42 AM

Volant makes a nice CAI for the 12 JK/JKU also been looking at one myself.

jadmt 11-15-2012 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJL2 (Post 2934418)
Chrysler changes the intake and intake manifold and makes and extra 20 HP from the same engine in the Ram/Charger...here's the kicker though - if the intake manifold becomes the limited factor it DOES NOT MATTER how much your intake and filter flow.

I wonder if the ram/chargers have a different cam too.

RRTRI 11-15-2012 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rangerman75
Volant makes a nice CAI for the 12 JK/JKU also been looking at one myself.

I have no idea if it is doing anything performance wise for me. But it does sound very cool which makes me smile.

http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/...TRI/image1.jpg

Mopar2Ya 11-15-2012 10:28 AM

I also just installed the Volant w/PowerCore, to early to give any review. It appears to be well made, tight fit (bigger air box than oem), & I'd like a twist-in IAT instead of the push-in grommet(that most CAI's have).

rangerman75 11-15-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RRTRI (Post 2998335)
I have no idea if it is doing anything performance wise for me. But it does sound very cool which makes me smile.

http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/...TRI/image1.jpg

Thanks for the pic have been considering one.