Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Where to find a Dana 44? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/where-to-find-a-dana-44-a-195907.html)

sakicnut 10-27-2012 08:41 PM

Where to find a Dana 44?
 
What years/vehicle can i find a Dana 44 for my 97 wrangler? I just got a lift and 33's on it and i've been trying to find a better re axle.

I found this one but i'm not sure if it will work?

JEEP DANA 44'S

TJspeed 10-27-2012 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sakicnut
What years/vehicle can i find a Dana 44 for my 97 wrangler? I just got a lift and 33's on it and i've been trying to find a better re axle.

I found this one but i'm not sure if it will work?

JEEP DANA 44'S

That one is is a full with and is a 6 lug and has disks and is set up for leaf springs and has the wrong gearing.

Short answer no it wont work. Look for a D44 from any TJ.

tallzdatank 10-27-2012 09:08 PM

or a Ford 8.8 from an explorer. it is a touch stronger. you'll need to add spring mounts, but if you can do that pretty easy.

sakicnut 10-28-2012 10:49 AM

So I have to find a D44 that already built up for tj? I can't get another one and add spring mounts?

Curro 10-28-2012 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sakicnut (Post 2934691)
So I have to find a D44 that already built up for tj? I can't get another one and add spring mounts?

Yes you can add mounts, but if you are going to go that route you will be better of with an 8.8 from an explorer...

TJspeed 10-28-2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sakicnut (Post 2934691)
So I have to find a D44 that already built up for tj? I can't get another one and add spring mounts?

what gears do you have?

Kevbz 10-28-2012 05:10 PM

Its the wheel base you have to look for. a TJ dana is set up for a TJ, a Dana 44 for anything else would need to be shortened and worked over...like it was said, if you cant find a D44 for a TJ, a ford 8.8 is the closest.

Finding something with the right gears is the number one thing...but you are looking for a grain of salt in a dessert...D44 are hard to just drop down a pick up from somewhere, with out dropping alot of money

sakicnut 10-28-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJspeed

what gears do you have?

4.10 on a 4 banger

sakicnut 10-28-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tallzdatank (Post 2933209)
or a Ford 8.8 from an explorer. it is a touch stronger. you'll need to add spring mounts, but if you can do that pretty easy.

So this would work with the coil spring mounts?
Ford Explorer 8.8 Rear Axle Disc Brakes 8.8 Swap Street Rod


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:21 AM.