Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   New Toy Hauler- Weight Distro opinions (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/new-toy-hauler-weight-distro-opinions-195913.html)

Haf 10-27-2012 09:02 PM

New Toy Hauler- Weight Distro opinions

1 Attachment(s)
Picked up my new toy hauler today. 2013 Whitewater 819. The Jeep isn't going to be the primary tow vehicle but it will do its fair share of the towing. I stopped by the scales on the way home and it came in at 3010 lbs unloaded save 2 full propane tanks and battery. Any time the Jeep tows it WILL be loaded with less than 500 lbs of gear.

With nothing loaded in the back, the tongue weight is between 400 and 450 lbs. The jeep pulled it pretty well considering the weight and the consistant 30-40 MPH winds we were having today but I would be much more comfortable if I had a weight distribution hitch to help get the Jeep a little closer to level. Does anyone have any experience or inputs on weight distribution hitches? Im also looking for EBC mounting location ideas. I had no problems at all stopping, but since the trailer has brakes I might as well use them!

Thanks for any inputs. Happy Jeepin.

jkjeeper06 10-27-2012 09:16 PM

Load the weight in the back to reduce some tongue weight. It'll reduce sag and tire wear a little on those mud tires

Deuce_F-15 10-27-2012 09:28 PM

A weight disto hitch may help but I'd go see a reputable RV/trailer dealer to get a better answer.

I pull a 38 foot toy hauler with my F-350 diesel, which has plenty of power and tow capacity. You'll need to be careful as you're right at the tow limit before you load up any gear, food, water, etc. Add the shortened wheelbase of the Jeep and is could get slippery real quick. FYI, I've got a 16ft trailer I tow my JD Gator with that probably weighs in around 3k. I'm going to hook up to it next weekend and will let you know how things go.

Haf 10-27-2012 09:29 PM

Ya thats why the tongue is so heavy. It can haul 3000+ lbs in the back, which helps reduce the front end. I wont be, am not able, to pull around that kind of weight with the Jeep though.

Haf 10-27-2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deuce_F-15 (Post 2933293)
A weight disto hitch may help but I'd go see a reputable RV/trailer dealer to get a better answer.

I pull a 38 foot toy hauler with my F-350 diesel, which has plenty of power and tow capacity. You'll need to be careful as you're right at the tow limit before you load up any gear, food, water, etc. Add the shortened wheelbase of the Jeep and is could get slippery real quick. FYI, I've got a 16ft trailer I tow my JD Gator with that probably weighs in around 3k. I'm going to hook up to it next weekend and will let you know how things go.

Totally understand. Wont be hauling around much when I pull with the Jeep. When my wife gets back stateside shes going to be gettin a new vehicle most likely with a much higher tow cap than the Jeep. Prior to this we had a 2800 lb popup camper that had a deck on the front for a four-wheeler. With a quad on the deck plus a generator I have no idea what the weight was but the Jeep pulled it excellently. The major difference now is the hight of what Im pulling, which makes a huge difference for sure.