Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Iowa Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f81/)
-   -   mickey Thompson Baja claws handling? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f81/mickey-thompson-baja-claws-handling-195942.html)

gillettetg 10-28-2012 12:50 AM

mickey Thompson Baja claws handling?

How will these tires do on wet pavement?
I have heard they handle bad on pavement and only last 20,000 miles. Then I heard 50,000 miles. Should I be only using these tires off road?
I have BF GOODRICH 33x12.5r15 AT's should I be getting rims for these and switching tires before I go off road?
Or will these tires hold up good?
The exact tire is Mickey Thompson Baja Claw radial 35x12.5r15

nick50471 10-29-2012 10:27 PM

Not sure what your definition of off road is. I have run that BFG KO tire on every truck I have ever owned. Get 50-60k on all. I run the BFG KM2 on my Wrangler. I wheel rocks, no mud.

The KO will be fine for anything around Iowa and lots of folks run them in Moab.

gillettetg 10-31-2012 05:34 PM

I should reword this I would like to know the mileage I can get out of Baja claws.

nick50471 10-31-2012 08:52 PM

If mileage is a concern regear or stick with 33's

gillettetg 10-31-2012 09:50 PM

I don't worry about gas mileage. I was hearing that my mickey Thompson 35" Baja claws would ware out really fast if I drive on pavement with them. I can not find any stats on how many miles they will last. I was saying that if they really do ware that fast I would probably want to have two sets of tires. One set for the road and only use the Mickey Thompson's for off road use only. But I am wondering how many miles I would get out of the mickey Thompsons if I don't switch tires and just keep the mickey tompson tires on all the time?

Keymo 11-07-2012 05:33 AM

I have 33" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws. I've had them (and only them) on my YJ for about 7 years now (it was a "seasonal" - only summer - driver for 5 of the 7 years). I've probably put somewhere around 20-25k (maybe even more) on them and still have a decent amount of tread on them (at LEAST half - and that's on the cupped treads). My YJ has been a pavement princess her whole life up until a few weeks ago. I get about 18MPG - highway (though I can't tell you how this stacks up to other 33" tires as my YJ has only has this one set). I've had absolutely no trouble with handling - though, obviously, you wont want to crank your wheel too far to either side or the tires will bite at your frame a bit..

As one would expect with the treading of the tire, when they start cupping it can get pretty intense. When I'm coming to a stop it almost feels like I'm going over those grating lines they put on highways before stop signs. One thing you might want to be aware of - personally, I like this - but they are LOUD tires! You can hear them wind up/down as you're accelerating/decelerating. My tires SCREAM as I'm going down the highway, and even in town (at 25-35MPH) they're loud enough to get people walking on the side of the road to turn around to see what the sound is.

Solid tires in my opinion... :p

gillettetg 11-09-2012 09:13 PM

Thanks keymo. That is the info I was looking for. By the way they sell spacers that bolt on behind your wheel which will fix the wheel rub. I have 4" of back space on my wheels so I am not rubbing. You may have stock rims which have 5" of back space sometimes. The spacers cost like $60 a piece.

Keymo 11-10-2012 04:20 AM

Glad I could help out! :thumb:

Oh! Nice! I will have to look into those spacers... I rarely if ever have a problem - but they'd be good to have on there... Thanks for the tip off. :D