Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Tallest / Biggest Tire options on stock wheels ? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/tallest-biggest-tire-options-on-stock-wheels-196012.html)

SamNitzberg 10-28-2012 02:45 PM

Tallest / Biggest Tire options on stock wheels ?

I've got a 1989 Wrangler....
I've got the stock wheels and am interested in getting larger tires, but I'm also on a budget. I've got a 4" lift kit installed. I'm not going off road, but use the Jeep in the snow - including when it's bad out...

How tall are the tallest tires I can put on, and what are my choices for maximum (safe) width to install?

Later on, I may replace the wheels and get larger tires, but right now, I'm interested in my options if I keep the stock wheels....

Thanks guys.....

-- Sam

sslopok 10-28-2012 02:49 PM

I've got a 2 inch body lift on my yj right now with 31x10.5x15 on it. With your 4 inch lift you can put 33x10.5x15 on.

Peppy 10-28-2012 05:47 PM

Ive got 33 12.5 15 on my 91 w a 2.5" lift, i just trimmed my flares, no fitment issues st all

Defcon 1 10-28-2012 05:50 PM

I have 32's on with no spring lift and only a 1" body lift. It's all about your fenders and flares. You should be fine with 33's. Put on a BL and trim a bit you can run 35's.

SamNitzberg 10-28-2012 08:33 PM

Thanks guys... I really didn't think I could go with a much bigger tire without replacing the wheels.

I'd like to ask a follow-up question... Any tire recommendations? I'm in New Jersey, spend my time on mostly local roads, and want the tires to do well in the winter snow as well. On occasion, will take Jeep up to 60 or 65 on highway.

I am doing fine with my 4" lift kit and am using a 1" transmission drop. I have no issues at all with the lift and vibration. If I get bigger tires, may I need to go with an SYE, or only if I add to the lift kit? Also, with my stock axle and roads and snow to deal with, are there any real axle issues I should be concerned with? I'd like to assume any warnings I've seen about larger tires and axle damage are really related more to off-roading and hard use. If I need to, I can strengthen the axle with a kit.

Thanks again....

Sam

Beachcruiser 10-29-2012 10:02 AM

You'll probably want a good all terrain tire (BFG, etc) if you see mostly roads/snow/etc...rather than frequent off-road use in mud & rocks.

A 4" lift should clear 33s......but it will be slow & suffer a drop in MPG w/ the stock gears. 33's will also rub quite a bit while turning if mounted on the stock wheels, unless you can find a narrow version tire of that diameter.

SamNitzberg 11-04-2012 04:43 AM

I'll plan on going with the 31" All Terrain Tires when I get my next set.
Thanks again guys...
-- Sam

BAP 11-04-2012 06:14 AM

i run a 33x12.50 with a 4 inch suspension lift on stock rims,,i do rub on my leaf springs at max turn...but really not that bad at all...but i am going with an 8 or 10 inch rim with a 3 3//4 or 4 inch back space when i can get the wife to understand ---lol-
and im running a 4cyl 5 speed,,,with stock gears ---my mpg,s are about 10..i will be droping in a v8 and 456 or 488 gears one of these day,s...