Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/)
-   -   Newbie towing 2x4 question (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/newbie-towing-2x4-question-19639.html)

200mph 07-02-2008 03:50 PM

Newbie towing 2x4 question

1 Attachment(s)
I just purchased a Wrangler Unlimited four door 2x4. Manual tranny.
I didn't realize it has such a low towing capacity. Jeep website says 1000Lbs.
My question is will I have a problem towing a 400 lb Kendon trailer with two sport bikes about 380lbs each.
Will going over what they state as towing limits be rough on driver and engine? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

DPG 07-03-2008 07:22 AM

Please correct me if I am wrong, anyone, but I thought the rules were 2000 fibs or the 2-door and 3000 lbs for the 4-door. The longer wheelbase of the 4-door is more stable and can tow more.

4Jeepn 07-03-2008 08:09 AM

Welcome to WF Your answer is: 3500 per the Jeep web site.

http://www-5.jeep.com/vehsuite/VehicleCompare.jsp

200mph 07-03-2008 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4Jeepn (Post 242775)
Welcome to WF Your answer is: 3500 per the Jeep web site.

http://www-5.jeep.com/vehsuite/VehicleCompare.jsp

Thanks guys for the input. I really wise, hope that you were correct, but when I google I come up with 1000lbs. Man I hope I am wrong. Keep in mind the jeep website says 3500 when properly equipped, meaning 3.73 rear and perhaps 4x4.

Mine is a base 4x2 manual no tow package. What I come up with is 1000lbs.
Question is will towing 1300 or so be a issue?

Thanks again

4.0l sahara 07-03-2008 10:35 AM

If it's a auto get a tranny cooler.:D

whitebuffalo 07-03-2008 10:57 AM

Quote:

If it's a auto get a tranny cooler.
Quote:

I just purchased a Wrangler Unlimited four door 2x4. Manual tranny.

usually the 4x4 tow amount is less than 2x4. regardless, i wouldn't sweat a couple hundred pounds over, so long as your trailer is loaded good and you drive sensibly.

4Jeepn 07-03-2008 01:14 PM

after more looking..... it Depends on what gears you have.....and if you have the tow pkg....

2008 Wrangler Unlimited
X, 4x2, 3.8-Liter V6 SMPI Engine, 6-Speed Manual Transmission

With 3.73 Axle Ratio and Trailer Tow Group You Can Tow 3500 lbs
With 3.21 Axle Ratio You Can Tow 1000 lbs
With 3.73 Axle Ratio You Can Tow 1000 lbs
Look for the Equipment Identification Sticker [i] to identify your vehicle's Axle Ratio. If you are unable to determine your vehicles axle ratio, assume you have the numerically lower ratio and can tow the lesser of these ratings.

Back to Vehicle Info
Get A Quote
Schedule a Test Drive
Get a Brochure

While it's not listed in the charts, tongue weight [i] is also an important consideration. The recommended tongue weight is between 10 & 15% of the trailer weight. However, the maximum tongue weight on Class III (The bumper ball) is limited to 500 lbs, and Class IV (The receiver hitch) to 1200 lbs.
This requirement overrides any recommended GTW rating, between 10% and 15% of gross trailer weight (GTW). Additionally, the GAWRs and GVWRs should never be exceeded.

Secure payload to prevent shifting of weight during braking, acceleration, cornering, or bumps, etc. If loads shift during dynamic conditions, load distribution could change resulting in an unsafe condition, or could exceed limits of recommended tongue weight. Incorrect tongue weight could result in increased yaw or vehicle instability. A negative tongue weight could unload the rear suspension of the tow vehicle decreasing vehicle stability. Negative tongue weight could cause the trailer to squat and potentially become disengaged from the tow vehicle resulting in a runaway trailer condition.

Towing capacities may vary. Consult your dealer to for full details on the towing capabilities of the vehicle.

wjfawb0 07-03-2008 02:28 PM

I towed a 500lb bike on a 400lb trailer behind my 3300lb subaru impreza several times without issue. Get your tongue weight right, and you should be ok. Cooling capacity for the increased heat your engine and transmission will create is important too, but from the jeep website all I can see that the trailer tow group adds is the lighting connector, hitch and 3.73 gears.

The wheelbase and weight of the tow vehicle are important to how it will handle going down the highway. The longer the wheelbase the better the handling, and of course the more weight the less your tow vehicle is affected by the load on the trailer behind it. If you have a lift on the jeep, that will also make towing a little more interesting. The weight will be up higher and a bit more unstable.

200mph 07-03-2008 03:29 PM

wow so my worst fears are to, some what. 1000lbs on such a large jeep. I should of done my homework. Bad I assumed it would be higher. I think my Lancer can tow 1000 lbs, lol
Thanks for the info I will get the highest rated hitch etc. the trailer is well balanced and fits two bikes so the load will not shift. Should be around 1200-1300 lbs. I guess Ill find out soon enough if I made a mistake with this jeep.

m8094538 07-03-2008 05:16 PM

plz tell me when u say 2x4 u dont mean 2 wheel drive. that would be a sad day for wranglers

200mph 07-03-2008 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m8094538 (Post 242869)
plz tell me when u say 2x4 u dont mean 2 wheel drive. that would be a sad day for wranglers

I guess I am not the only one without a clue, lol The unlimited comes in a very "limited" version 2WD.
Like I said I had no idea a jeep would be so lame as to only tow 1000lbs.
If I am right that suxs.
:banghead::banghead:

BretStep 07-03-2008 07:45 PM

Check you owners manual and verify what axle ratio you have. If you utilize common sense you can exceed the rated towing capacity by several hundred pounds. You have to understand that when an auto manufacturer engineers and builds a vehicle that they have to assume the worst case scenario. ( like pulling a trailer up a mountain in high altitudes and through a desert at 120 degrees ) The max stated load limit must be handled safely in every temperature range, road condition and driving situation or they are liable. They automatically factor in, that a decent percentage of owners will completely ignore rated trailer ratings and forget to add the weight of passengers and cargo in the vehicle. If you have an auto tranny, make sure you install a cooler and keep an eye on the engine temperature guage.

200mph 07-04-2008 05:26 AM

Thanks for the info, it's a manual tranny and most of the towing will be in Florida, Alabama and Georgia, so no mountains and such. 3.21 ratio
Just took a lot of heat from my wife because she wanted a Dodge Nitro and I talked her into a jeep because of towing capacity. Turns out the ugly crap box of a Nitro has a higher towing ratio, and she won't let me forget this one anytime soon. lol