Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   "Overhead console" (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/overhead-console-196594.html)

egillette87 10-30-2012 11:57 PM

"Overhead console"

Anyone here have an overhead console that ties in from the sports bar to the windsheild? Something like this (click on link...) Tuffy Security Part 048-01 - Double Compartment Overhead Console

Been thinking about getting that particular item to put up my CB and CD player and block out the dash to put in some switches for whatever I need to wire up. Anyone got a setup like that? Pics! :wavey:

van_Niets 10-31-2012 12:11 AM

That's an interesting setup. Personally, I'm not a fan. The CD player seems a little too far back to be useful. Also, like the one person that commented on it, the thing is heavy. I've been in one rollover that caved the windshield frame. I didn't have a scratch on me, but I'm pretty sure that thing snapping off the frame and chunking itself at my head would have changed things.

That same site has a sale on their stereo center consoles. I'll be mounting a CB in my Smittybilt console, which is mostly identical to that one, but quite a bit cheaper. That leaves my dash stock, and there's surprisingly enough space on a stock dash to run a few switches here and there. Just have to be creative enough. lol

The Tuffy center console:
Tuffy Security Part 013-01 - Deluxe Stereo Security Console

Don't forget to check for it on eBay and Craigslist. Might get a better deal.

whiteyj 10-31-2012 12:34 AM

I have run the Tuffy single overhead console for years. It's home for my 2M/440 ham gear. It connects vis the footman loop[ screws to the windshield frame and u-bolts to the sport bar. Nice solid installation. I relocated my footman loop to the aread behind the radio for the summer time when I run a safari top.

Carlsbad0331 10-31-2012 10:04 AM

I have been using the single overhead compartment for a couple months now. I think it works well, was easy enough to install and keeps my stereo from disappearing because I have been keeping the top off alot.
It also gave me a place to mount a $10 battery operated LED light as a dome light so I can see my way around in the dark.
I also have the Tuffy center console that holds my Glock 17 when I am not carrying it.

hunterthetipman 05-07-2013 02:04 PM

Do you have pics of this you can send me? I am getting the overhead and I have a Rampage bowless top that has the strap on it. I need to relocate it for pretty much year around.

zombiekilla 05-23-2013 02:23 PM

Had one simillair, did not care for it.
IMHO... the "reach" was the the worst part of owning it.
Was not real comfortable when reaching & it's like having an 1/8 top.
Blocked quite a bit of light considering it's size.
FYI, I have seen several simillair models for 1/2 the price, if you really want one you might want to look around a little more.