Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

New rubicon owner

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  2resa 
#1 ·
I just purchased a new 2012 JKU and i am interested on a 3 or 4" lift. I will like advice on brand and tire and rim size for the 3 and 4' suspension. I neither drive to much on the road or off road. I am retired and just drive the Kids to school.

35 or 37 tires. Rough country or teraflex or whatever. Medium cash range.

Any advice will be considered.

:dance:

#2 · (Edited)
Don't go over a 3.5" lift. A JK is limited to 3" and a JKU to 3.5" without having to replace driveshafts. Over 3.5" will add a lot of addition cost to your lift. Not that you can't, it just gets expensive if you do since you mentioned medium cash range.

They have a lift review at the top of the page you can look through to get a idea of which lifts forum members recommend. Just stay away from Skyjacker lifts. For a cheaper lift, Rough Country gets pretty good reviews. Teraflex is an excellent lift.

I would recommend a minimum of 16" wheels. 15" wheels tend to have balancing issues with 35's. 17" looks great but usually a little more expensive and usually weigh a little more. 35" tires will go better with a 3 or 3.5" lift. 37" tires will probably rub the fender if you disconnect and articulate on the trail. It will work on the road but might see rubbing on the trail not to mention they are heavy. They are a big jump in price and are usually very heavy which adds stress to the C's. You will need a 4.25" back space on 16" and can use a 4.5" on 17X8 wheels or 5" bs on 17X9. The reason for 4.25" on 16's is to clear the calipers.

Lift reviews
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/jk-lift-reviews-25157.html

#4 ·
Besides the jump in tires going from 35 to 37, there's also a substantial jump in price going from 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 in lift. If you don't plan on taking it offroad, why pay the extra money for bigger tires requiring more lift? Seems a lot of folks assume that if you go bigger than you automatically have to go with a 4" lift. 2 1/2 changes out fewer components and can still give the look you want (if that's what you're going for). If rubbing becomes an issue then you can change the fender flares for about what you would've paid for a higher lift. I changed the flares before putting on the lift and a lot of folks assumed I already had it lifted. Only rubbed once on the trails.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.