Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   California Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/)
-   -   Gold Mountain trail... Should I? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/gold-mountain-trail-should-i-196741.html)

thedaringmove 10-31-2012 06:40 PM

Gold Mountain trail... Should I?

So im taking a group of guys up to big bear. Two jeeps. A four door JK on 35" and my TJ on 33". Neither have lockers or a winch. Would it be a good idea to run the trail? We have recovery equipment.

I H8RDS 10-31-2012 06:43 PM

You'll be fine ! :thumb:Assuming you know how to drive it! :rofl:

Seriously, GM doesn't require lockers :cool: and 33's are more than enough.

Kaisertod 10-31-2012 07:05 PM

You might get bored actually... try Holcomb Creek once you warm up.

I H8RDS 10-31-2012 07:06 PM

Scottie- Nooooo..I had to strap someone off the rock garden..it's not That easy..but your rigs will make it no problem. OHH! And look for my license plate I H8RDS. It was taken off and left behind :(

Lorie :thumb:

I H8RDS 10-31-2012 07:10 PM

My bad..actually, it was my winch that was needed.

Kaisertod 10-31-2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I H8RDS (Post 2947616)
Scottie- it's not That easy..

Lorie :thumb:

:crazy:

I ran it stock in a JKU. There was some carnage that weekend (one guy broke a DS, and another broke his hard top) but if you ask me, the trail was pretty tame, both of those failures had little to do with the trail itself. :doh:

I H8RDS 10-31-2012 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaisertod (Post 2947633)
:crazy:

I ran it stock in a JKU. There was some carnage that weekend (one guy broke a DS, and another broke his hard top) but if you ask me, the trail was pretty tame, both of those failures had little to do with the trail itself. :doh:

Exactly- it ain't always rig capabilities :whistling:

turdhurdler 10-31-2012 07:32 PM

I say go for the GM run. It is probably my favorite trail in BB for just getting out. Use good judgment and stay off of the skinny pedel in the technical areas and you will be fine. I have gotten a bone stock YJ with 29" street tires through it with only a light tug. Very fun and scenic.

Jeff

thedaringmove 10-31-2012 07:45 PM

Really glad to get all the responses. I will definitely take the trail. Tell me more about Holcomb creek.. Id say I'm a fairly good driver but my buddy doesn't have as much experience...

Does holcomb creek follow the actual creek? I see the creek on map but not trail. Wheres the start?

Kaisertod 10-31-2012 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedaringmove (Post 2947774)
Really glad to get all the responses. I will definitely take the trail. Tell me more about Holcomb creek.. Id say I'm a fairly good driver but my buddy doesn't have as much experience...

Does holcomb creek follow the actual creek? I see the creek on map but not trail. Wheres the start?

Here's everything you need Holcomb Creek Trail - Dirtopia, the Off-Road Encyclopedia

It's a bit more technical, IMHO... definitely need a lift for Holcomb, although some have been known to run it stock :whistling: (but only with a lot of help)

There's really so much good wheeling around there, you can hardly go wrong. If you post as to when you'll be going too, I bet you'll be able to get a few more people to join you and show you some of the trails.

I H8RDS 10-31-2012 07:50 PM

Good trail! Few good rock gardens..Gorgeous! I've helped maintain that trail. You'll be able to make it without a locker, but actual trail recommendations are at least a rear locker and 33's.

I'll let someone else give you GPS coords; as I don't have GPS.

I H8RDS 10-31-2012 07:51 PM

X2 on the lift...and sliders.

thedaringmove 10-31-2012 07:59 PM

hmm. I have plans for sliders but haven't made a set yet.. :( maybe I'll skip out on Holcomb. Gold Mountain starts on the 18 and goes north or is it wheeled the opposite direction? I'll be camping at Little Bear so it's kinda on the opposite side of the Lake. Any good Mines in between the camp and trail we could check out? Like ones that we could climb down in?

suicideking 10-31-2012 08:12 PM

Ya, skip Holcomb until you get rails. GM will be fine. Fun trail, scenic too! I wish it was longer.

thedaringmove 10-31-2012 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suicideking
Ya, skip Holcomb until you get rails. GM will be fine. Fun trail, scenic too! I wish it was longer.

Will do! Still looking for one more trail though. Any suggestions anyone? Also if any of the mines are particularly interesting let me know.

thedaringmove 10-31-2012 09:01 PM

Jacoby Canyon Trail any good?

Baja1ab 10-31-2012 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedaringmove (Post 2948028)
Jacoby Canyon Trail any good?

Jacoby is actually the first trail I did in Big Bear back when I had my Cherokee. It's nice and scenic and has a few little fun spots that are passable by a stock 4wd.

If you're looking for a nice day of scenic wheelin with some semi-newbie Jeepers I'd do Gold Mountain to Jacoby or might be easier to do Jacoby from the backside up and then to Gold Mountain down.

Good luck and have fun! :thumb:

suicideking 10-31-2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baja1ab (Post 2948135)
Jacoby is actually the first trail I did in Big Bear back when I had my Cherokee. It's nice and scenic and has a few little fun spots that are passable by a stock 4wd.

If you're looking for a nice day of scenic wheelin with some semi-newbie Jeepers I'd do Gold Mountain to Jacoby or might be easier to do Jacoby from the backside up and then to Gold Mountain down.

Good luck and have fun! :thumb:

Agree with this. Jacoby is easier than Gold Mtn, mostly scenic. If you go up GM, it's right next to where it ends.

thedaringmove 11-01-2012 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suicideking

Agree with this. Jacoby is easier than Gold Mtn, mostly scenic. If you go up GM, it's right next to where it ends.

Hmm im thinking we'll do GM first thing in the morn then find a different trail for the afternoon. Maybe jacoby. Yall make it seem too easy though ;)

DTM 11-01-2012 01:35 PM

Here is a fun run you can do (if it's not to far of a drive). Off highway 38 (a few miles past Onyx Summit-not too from Big Bear) take 2n01, make a right on 2n61y. A few miles you will have the option to do 2n61ya (Pontiac Sluice). Pontiac Sluice is an out an back. Just past half way you get to a "y". You can go either way as you will end up at the same place (back at the 'y'). I think right is the better way. Anyway this is a fun out and back thru a rocky trail, but not real hard. When you get back to 2n61y, go right and continue on. There is only one real obstacle that will challenge you. Take your time and figure it out. 2n61y will end at 2n02, go left. If you enjoyed Pontiac Sluice and 2n61y and want just a bit more of a challenge (only a little bit harder) take a left on 2n69y. This is a black diamond trail, but it is not very hard. The three times I have done it, no one has ever needed a spot. This trail will take you back on to 2n02. Make a left on 2n02 and this will take you to 2n01. You can make a left on 2n01 and head back to the 38. Or you can keep going and look to the left for a mine you can walk in and check out. (I have not done this, but have seen people stopped there) Or you can make the drive up to Tiptop Mtn. Or you could take 2n02 all the way to Baldwin Lake (close to Big Bear). ( I have not done this, just seen it on the map) As you can see you will have lots of options on trails you all can make. PM me if you want more info...

BillG.OTD 11-01-2012 02:10 PM

Good suggestion from Dan if you want more than Gold mountain. I reccomend GM as well, but this trail is also very cool! In fact I want to get back there soon. We drove past it on the Motino wash run. Here is a pic I had in case you need a map. :) The "start here" part is hwy 38 and if you want a mine, there is Rose Mine at the top right that you can walk into for about 1/4 mile. Dan, We need another trip back!

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/...lgotd/2n01.jpg

DTM 11-01-2012 05:36 PM

Yes Bill, we do! But you know, when we go back I'm going to want to do Mottino Wash again! That trail was fun...

suicideking 11-01-2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillG.OTD (Post 2950180)
Good suggestion from Dan if you want more than Gold mountain. I reccomend GM as well, but this trail is also very cool! In fact I want to get back there soon. We drove past it on the Motino wash run. Here is a pic I had in case you need a map. :) The "start here" part is hwy 38 and if you want a mine, there is Rose Mine at the top right that you can walk into for about 1/4 mile. Dan, We need another trip back!

That was the day we did Tip Top, Heartbreak, and Pontiac? That was a fun run!

Let me know if you guys are doing it again.

BillG.OTD 11-01-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DTM (Post 2950760)
Yes Bill, we do! But you know, when we go back I'm going to want to do Mottino Wash again! That trail was fun...

I agree, so lets plan on another trip to Seven Oaks so we are close enough to do them both...:thumb:

Kaisertod 11-01-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillG.OTD (Post 2950879)
I agree, so lets plan on another trip to Seven Oaks so we are close enough to do them both...:thumb:

I'm available after work! I got the FEVER :eek:

BillG.OTD 11-01-2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaisertod (Post 2951076)
I'm available after work! I got the FEVER :eek:

After work? :confused:

and I think you have been running a bit of a temperature since day 1...Now that your Jeep is been upgraded and you've hit some great trails, you have the full blown FEVER! :D

RadarRob2012 11-01-2012 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillG.OTD

After work? :confused:

and I think you have been running a bit of a temperature since day 1...Now that your Jeep is been upgraded and you've hit some great trails, you have the full blown FEVER! :D

Man, He is diseased at this point. No real incubation period. He's just down with the sickness now. Lol

thedaringmove 11-01-2012 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DTM
Here is a fun run you can do (if it's not to far of a drive). Off highway 38 (a few miles past Onyx Summit-not too from Big Bear) take 2n01, make a right on 2n61y. A few miles you will have the option to do 2n61ya (Pontiac Sluice). Pontiac Sluice is an out an back. Just past half way you get to a "y". You can go either way as you will end up at the same place (back at the 'y'). I think right is the better way. Anyway this is a fun out and back thru a rocky trail, but not real hard. When you get back to 2n61y, go right and continue on. There is only one real obstacle that will challenge you. Take your time and figure it out. 2n61y will end at 2n02, go left. If you enjoyed Pontiac Sluice and 2n61y and want just a bit more of a challenge (only a little bit harder) take a left on 2n69y. This is a black diamond trail, but it is not very hard. The three times I have done it, no one has ever needed a spot. This trail will take you back on to 2n02. Make a left on 2n02 and this will take you to 2n01. You can make a left on 2n01 and head back to the 38. Or you can keep going and look to the left for a mine you can walk in and check out. (I have not done this, but have seen people stopped there) Or you can make the drive up to Tiptop Mtn. Or you could take 2n02 all the way to Baldwin Lake (close to Big Bear). ( I have not done this, just seen it on the map) As you can see you will have lots of options on trails you all can make. PM me if you want more info...

Crazy amount of information! I think that will be the next trip in. This time round there aren't any adults haha.

Thanks everyone!

530ktm 11-02-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillG.OTD (Post 2950180)

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/...lgotd/2n01.jpg

This is a run I have never done and would like to do so. Not sure how much time is needed to make this big loop but it seems like a good day trip.

BillG.OTD 11-02-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 530ktm (Post 2953533)
This is a run I have never done and would like to do so. Not sure how much time is needed to make this big loop but it seems like a good day trip.

Yeah, It is a good run and would depend on how many Jeeps we had. The last time was just Rick, Dan and I and we did Tip Top, Heartbreak and Pontiac. I think started at 9 and we left the trail around 3pm. If we did the small Black diamond loop instead of Tip top, it would be alot faster and make a good day trip, even with your added drive.